MSE News: Hotpoint tumble dryer help: 3 extra tricks to get you a refund

Options

Comments

• dexterlivi
    dexterlivi Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe I've missed it but I don't pick up from the thread that Hotpoint have been painted as Devils. The issues put simply, Hotpoint have manufactured and retailed a product that is faulty. Not a minor fault but potentially a very serious fault which can cause fires. It is easy to suggest in the greater scheme the number of fires verses numbers sold is minimal and lets not over egg it, bit I think anything that presents as a fire risk is serious no matter how few people may have been affected. Some of the pictures of fire damage only show the pictures, they dont show the human destruction of a house fire. Having attended numerous house fires in my previous life as a fire fighter I have seen the devastation and destruction caused and fortunately in my experiences most people got out OK, so I am clearly all too aware of what can happen with these appliances. Before someone has a go and tells me that not every fire I went to was caused by a tumble drier (although some where), the point I make is its all about the destruction a fire causes to families. I think one fire caused by a faulty product is one too many and clearly has an impact on someone even if not to most of us discussing it on this thread. I dont paint Hotpoint as bad boys (or girls to be politically correct) I just feel that to expect some people to wait several months to rectify what is potentially a dangerous fault is too long. Yes I appear to have had a quick appointment but that is only because I have taken issue with Hotpoint and not accepted waiting up to 10 weeks to even wait for a reply, no matter arrange the modification.Some people will not have the confidence to challenge it. I think if I had simply rolled over I might of got the repair around Christmas time I guess. I am still concerned that after the repair I may still struggle to get the insurance company to cough up so yes I have asked for an replacement and I am happy to pay something towards an upgrade. If the insurers were willing to underwrite the risk (or Hotpoint) I would happily take the modification. I would even put the kettle on for the Hotpoint engineer. Here's to a happy ongoing debate, but lets play nicely.
  • little_pink_purse
    Options
    hi Could any one me a email address for Hotpoint

I seem to have deleted my email

thanks xxlppxx
    debt total £71k AGE 47 TRY TO BE DEBT FREE BY 50
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hi Could any one me a email address for Hotpoint

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=70436742&postcount=213

My email came from repairs at hotpoint dot co dot uk, but don't know if that would work.
    The 'contact us' method has worked fine for me .... :)
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    dexterlivi wrote: »
    Maybe I've missed it but I don't pick up from the thread that Hotpoint have been painted as Devils. The issues put simply, Hotpoint have manufactured and retailed a product that is faulty. Not a minor fault but potentially a very serious fault which can cause fires. It is easy to suggest in the greater scheme the number of fires verses numbers sold is minimal and lets not over egg it, bit I think anything that presents as a fire risk is serious no matter how few people may have been affected. Some of the pictures of fire damage only show the pictures, they dont show the human destruction of a house fire. Having attended numerous house fires in my previous life as a fire fighter I have seen the devastation and destruction caused and fortunately in my experiences most people got out OK, so I am clearly all too aware of what can happen with these appliances. Before someone has a go and tells me that not every fire I went to was caused by a tumble drier (although some where), the point I make is its all about the destruction a fire causes to families. I think one fire caused by a faulty product is one too many and clearly has an impact on someone even if not to most of us discussing it on this thread. I dont paint Hotpoint as bad boys (or girls to be politically correct) I just feel that to expect some people to wait several months to rectify what is potentially a dangerous fault is too long. Yes I appear to have had a quick appointment but that is only because I have taken issue with Hotpoint and not accepted waiting up to 10 weeks to even wait for a reply, no matter arrange the modification.Some people will not have the confidence to challenge it. I think if I had simply rolled over I might of got the repair around Christmas time I guess. I am still concerned that after the repair I may still struggle to get the insurance company to cough up so yes I have asked for an replacement and I am happy to pay something towards an upgrade. If the insurers were willing to underwrite the risk (or Hotpoint) I would happily take the modification. I would even put the kettle on for the Hotpoint engineer. Here's to a happy ongoing debate, but lets play nicely.

My post was not aimed directly at you.

Ultimately, all appliances are at risk of catching fire, especially tumble dryers. Nobody has tried to downplay the danger but rather stop people being silly with phrases like "spontaneously combust".

I still think someone else will have been pushed out to make way for your complaint and faster appointment- after all surely Hotpoint are booking appointments in order and I'm assuming they haven't invented a way to separate time and space to make way for you - so the logical explanation is that someone else has been pushed out - that particular person may have already waited x weeks for that appointment and now faces waiting y weeks more becouse of you.

If that wasn't bad enough it sounds like you've now turned around and denounced you don't even want a repair, rather a replacement machine which sounds to me like you've wasted an appointment due to being inconsistent with your complaint.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 April 2016 at 1:32PM
    Options
    AJXX wrote: »
    My post was not aimed directly at you.

Ultimately, all appliances are at risk of catching fire, especially tumble dryers. Nobody has tried to downplay the danger but rather stop people being silly with phrases like "spontaneously combust".

I still think someone else will have been pushed out to make way for your complaint and faster appointment- after all surely Hotpoint are booking appointments in order and I'm assuming they haven't invented a way to separate time and space to make way for you - so the logical explanation is that someone else has been pushed out - that particular person may have already waited x weeks for that appointment and now faces waiting y weeks more becouse of you.

If that wasn't bad enough it sounds like you've now turned around and denounced you don't even want a repair, rather a replacement machine which sounds to me like you've wasted an appointment due to being inconsistent with your complaint.

But you never mention the person who was pushed out when Hotpoint responded to your letter.
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    But you never mention the person who was pushed out when Hotpoint responded to your letter.

That's a different scenario all together, which I've explained numerous times.

I sent them a letter after waiting the allotted time after registration and more without hearing anything - the letter was not a complaint just a request for *a* modification date. What else was I supposed to do? As the allotted time had passed.

It's a different situation completely to complaining from the outset with the intention to get a faster modification date.
  • Zandoni
    Options
    AJXX wrote: »
    That's a different scenario all together, which I've explained numerous times.

I sent them a letter after waiting the allotted time after registration and more without hearing anything - the letter was not a complaint just a request for *a* modification date. What else was I supposed to do? As the allotted time had passed.

It's a different situation completely to complaining from the outset with the intention to get a faster modification date.

But you didn't have to wait as long as most people.

You really need to stop having a go at people who are concerned and try to get there machines modified as quickly as possible. You have to realise that people are concerned with the increased risk of a house fire.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Post directed at Zandoni and AJXX -Can you PLEASE take your "discussions" elsewhere?? The genuine posts re the recall/repairs are getting buried in pages of your to and fros:)
    J_B wrote: »
    Post directed at Zandoni and AJXX -Can you PLEASE take your "discussions" elsewhere?? The genuine posts re the recall/repairs are getting buried in pages of your to and fros

:mad:

Again ............. :(
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Z (and on and on and on) i
  • Zandoni
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Again ............. :(

I'm not feeling the love here.

I'll do a deal, if AJXX stops so will I.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure