Beware- Vodafone misleading "loyalty" offer

Options

Comments

• Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi simonevs,

I’m sorry to see what’s happened.

So that I can look into this, please email me with your details via the link in our profile here.

All you need to do is copy and paste the link into your web browser and it'll take you to the Contact us form on our website. To make sure it reaches me please quote the code WRT135 - MSE in the subject line.

Once sent you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Please update the thread with this and I'll check we’ve received it.

Thanks,

Jenny
    Social Media Comms
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Clunk1001
    Options
    Got the same call today about my 'loyalty' being rewarded with a FREE tablet. The chap was quite clear about the monthly cost though.

I'd like point out that this Vodafone loyalty reward is not really any better than you can get from any other provider - o2 for example.

So basically Vodafone would like to reward my 8 years of loyalty by offering me....exactly the same deal I can get from any other supplier, walking in off the street, with zero loyalty.

Shows how much Vodafone actually value loyalty.
  • dlorde
    dlorde Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Yup, I just got the very same call from a quick talking Northener - Vodafone wanted to reward my loyalty with a FREE tablet (that comes with very useful mobile data access for a small charge).

I told him to send me the free tablet without the cell data access, which I didn't want. He said they couldn't do that. I told him that if I had to pay to get it, it wasn't free. This went on for a few minutes, until he eventually got the message and rang off.

It is a bit insulting that they think this is 'rewarding loyalty' to VF. If they were serious about rewarding loyalty, they'd reduce my monthly payments.

Having said that, after several telephone invitations to add 4G to my contract for around £4 extra a month - which I declined, I got a text a few weeks ago saying they'd upgraded me to 4G for free...

Which is fine, except that my local area doesn't have a 4G service, and, according to VF's coverage checker, there are no plans to provide it in future!
  • ripoffworld
    Options
    Oh my god..... I can't believe I've stumbled upon this thread!!!!

November 2014/December 2014 I received a few miss calls which I discovered to be from a Vodafone sales team. Eventually I answered and a lady told me that as I had been such a "loyal" customer I was entitled to a free Galaxy tablet......

"FREE!!!!" I said.
    "Yes" it's free she added. She then said there was an option to take up a 4G contract (believe it is something like £4.50 a week). I said I was not interested in the contract, but she confirmed at LEAST 3 times that the tablet was free to keep. All I needed to do was to phone up within the next 14 days and confirm I did not want the contract.

I was very happy!!!!!!!!

Fast forward a week and I rung up to say that I didn't want the contract only to be told I must return the tablet. I argued for 5 minutes that this was not what I was originally told however the man I spoke to said I must return it once they've sent me out a refund/return package. Phone call ended.

After that I decided on one more attempt at arguing my case that I was entitled to my free gift (this being after I purchased a case and memory card for it) I went on to their live chat. 45 minutes worth of arguing later and getting absolutely nowhere I conceded defeat and asked for a return package to send my tablet back.

2 weeks later - not a thing from Vodafone.

I rung them back and asked what was going on - they claim the transcript showed that the "live" chat suddenly ended half way through a conversation. Since the 14 day initial trial had passed it was now not returnable.

Now extremely annoyed I filed 2 separate complaints with Vodafone (yes this was before Christmas) and kindly Vodafone have yet to respond.

I strongly advise anyone using Vodafone

a) expensive -however I used to see this as paying for a decent signal and decent customer

b) point a) is now redundant after this experience.

c) complaints procedure at Vodafone clearly doesn't work.

d) Mis-sold items. Clearly the sales pitch that Vodafone staff use is misleading/false.

e) Transcript - either has not shown full conversation or even worse has been edited. Or they've picked up a previous live chat conversation?

f) Now stuck on 2 year contract I never even wanted!!!

Thanks Vodafone - phone contract will be cancelled later this year!!!

Advise guys?
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Then they will sting you for the cost of the contract over the full term, even though you won't be using it.

You'll get no-where unless you you contact the Web Relations Team (see Vodafone complaints thread on here.
  • Vodafone
    Options
    Hi ripoffworld,

I've got your last email and I'll get back to you later today.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media Comms

Vodafone UK
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • MariaE_3
    Options
    I was googling trying to find out if I am the only one who fell for Vodafone's scam and saw this post dated on January 2014, now on April 2015 Vodafone's tablet scam still goes on.
    My story starts on December 2014 when my husband had a call from a Vodafone representative telling him that he is such a loyal customer, always paying on time and they wanted to reward him with a FREE Samsung Galaxy Tab.4 tablet with 2GB of FREE 4G usage for just £4.50 per month until the end of his contract. My husband asked what's the catch if there are any hidden charges or extra costs and the Vodafone rep. said there is nothing else just the £4.50 per month for the remaining of the contract then my husband turned to me to ask me what i thought and i told him to make sure if there is anything extra because it sounds too good to be true, still the rep promised us that it's just that only charge and we wouldn't even pay for the delivery and if we are not happy we could return the tablet ANYTIME.
    The next day our brand new tablet arrived and ournightmare begun!! On my husband's next bill we were charged £17 for the tablet and since it was a direct debit the £17 flew away! My husband called Vodafone to ask them what's going on and told them what our rep promised us, and they told him that there must be a mistake because they didn't have a £4.50 offer but they would go back to the call and if that was what we were promised then we could have it for £4.50 per month and we would get the £17 back so they said they will call us back within 10 days to let us know. 10 days later nobody called us so we decided to cancel the direct debit. The next bill came with the 17 pounds charge again but my husband paid only the amound he had to pay for his phone contract and not the tablet charge and we called again the customer services team the same things were said lots of promises that our problem will be solved and they asked if we could pay the charges for the tablet and we will get the money back once the problem is solved we refuse of course and we said we are not going to pay any tabet charge until this is solved!! Next month came with another tablet charge and late payment fees for the previous one and the phone was cut off. We were raging of course because my husband was coming back from a trip outside the UK and he couldn't use his phone, so he had to call back the Customer servises tell them the whole story(we talked with 3 different people one of the was rude and hung up on us) finally they reconnected his phone and promised the same things...
    Back to today we are still trying to get out of the Vodafone nightmare and still getting the tablet charges and late payment fees and the phone gets cutt off every month and we have to call back again and say the same story over and over so they can reconnect the phone.
    We asked if we could send the tablet back but they said we couldn't!!!
    Then we said enough is enough and we wanted both contracts cancelled so they said that we would have to pay extra fees for terminating the contract earlier that agreed!!! Well we told them that we are not going to pay for the tablet, we haven't signed any contract for a tablet so if they want to prove that we agreed over the phone they will have to go back to the phone call and listen to what was promised and agreed then! In that way they will hear what we were promised!!! We won't renew our contract with vodafone and we told all our friend's and family what we are going through with vodafone and not to think of signing a contract with them! They also said to their friends and family, so they won't fall for Vodafone's tablet scam and so goes on. Bad news travel fast so a lot of people are aware of this scam now!
    See Vodafone no matter how much money you spend on commercials and promotions you are the ones who turn your customers against you!!
    Now we are going to report this to the UK's national fraud reporting centre and let's hope that that will be the last time we will have to tell this story and hopefully everyting will be solved.
  • Vodafone
    Options
    Hi MariaE,

I'm sorry to see this.

If you'd like me to look into things further, email me with your details via the link in our profile here.

All you need to do is copy and paste the link into your web browser and it'll take you to the Contact us form on our website. To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post back with this and I’ll check I've received it.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media Comms

Vodafone UK
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 May 2015 at 11:25AM
    Options
    As the OP has raised concerns about how the product was sold to them, I'd like to get things investigated further.

In instances where a product or service hasn't been sold correctly, and we're able to identify the agent involved, we can address this internally...
    Have you got anything investigated and addressed besides simply plugging the holes?

After more than a year I don't see any visible result of this investigation and addressing. Why am I not surprised?
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    MariaE wrote: »
    My story starts on December 2014 when my husband had a call from a Vodafone representative telling him that he is such a loyal customer, QUOTE]

You have hit on the crux of the issue, a call from Vodafone representative.

I'm not saying Vodafone are perfect by any means but anyone who sells Vodafone contracts can say (legitimately) they are Vodafone's representative. That does not mean Vodafone was the caller, just someone selling Vodafone's services.

Its possible it was Vodafone but equally possible its not.

Who exactly did the device come from, many times the company will not give the company name just make it sound like they are Vodafone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback