Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Options

Comments

• Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In an attempt to use up some of the spare electricity, I tried a plug in radiator on various settings.
    It takes 10 seconds for my inverter to rebalance itself, if watching for the constant red light to turn off on the importing meter, is to be trusted - perhaps it is the fancy electronic importing meter that takes 10 seconds to work out what is happening?

The inverter is a "Power - one Aurora".

As a matter of interest John, which energy monitor do you use? I have the similar Aurora Gizmo as you; have you thrown your desktop gizmo away? :)
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 November 2012 at 2:02PM
    Options
    I still have the desk top gizmo - it sits on a shelf in the living room.
    I have had a go at "playing" with it (big mistake - I got it into a right muddle and had to mess about "restarting" it) but I now keep it on the standard setting.
    The graph and the wattage being produced is really useful as a guide to what is happening today (it currently displays something that looks like a light house on a saucy seaside postcard.)
    However the update cycle is minutes not seconds and it turns itself off again PDQ.

My wife has a spare bedroom/office, which she likes to be hotter than the normal back ground temperature of a bed room - it so happens that if the "office" door is open and so is the the hall cupboard, then her 1,500 watt "comfort" oil filled radiator aligns with the electronic importing meter and its constant red light.

The radiator has three settings presumably 500 watts each. So I was demonstrating that the 500 or 1000 (or even 1,500 in theory) could be run on maximum thermostat for free but turning on 1500 and turning the thermostat right down was counter productive and not the most economical setting.

[As the old saying goes "You can lead a user to a manual but you cannot make then think"]

The "office" is in the part of the building that has been cavity-filled recently, using nucleated graphite filled expanded polystyrene, as well as being double glazed a few yeas ago - so even on the 1000 setting "the office" was heading towards "sauna" classification by 14:00.
  • Oscargrouch
    Options
    In an attempt to use up some of the spare electricity, I tried a plug in radiator on various settings.
    It takes 10 seconds for my inverter to rebalance itself, if watching for the constant red light to turn off on the importing meter, is to be trusted - perhaps it is the fancy electronic importing meter that takes 10 seconds to work out what is happening?

The inverter is a "Power - one Aurora".

As you know, I have a similar make and model Inverter, I also had a similar DeskTop monitor, until it had an accident with a brick wall (useless bit of kit); what do you mean by 'inverter to rebalance'? I take it you have a Gen meter + an Export meter (import meter) fitted to your system? Getting confused here .com. :question:

Back to the office for what it's worth.....1kWh today.:eek:
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • shafeeq
    shafeeq Posts: 973 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Back to the office for what it's worth.....1kWh today.:eek:

How did manage to generate so much :D

mine only did 0.47kWh.....
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    3.8 today, turned out quite nice. 1.6 yesterday, not so nice.

Good weather ahead (hopefully) for the next week or so, so hopefully pull back a few lost units, but probably below Nov target.

Not too bad though.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Similar day to yesterday, with a large dollop of the wet stuff:(
    Made 1.7kWh today
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • Oscargrouch
    Options
    shafeeq wrote: »
    How did manage to generate so much :D

mine only did 0.47kWh.....

:rotfl: Life can be very hard!:rotfl:

• John_Pierpoint
    Options
    As you know, I have a similar make and model Inverter, I also had a similar DeskTop monitor, until it had an accident with a brick wall (useless bit of kit); what do you mean by 'inverter to rebalance'? I take it you have a Gen meter + an Export meter (import meter) fitted to your system? Getting confused here . :question:

Perhaps I should have said "system" to rebalance.

My electronic importing meter has two red lights (because it is "economy 7 and incorporates a time clock). If the meter is importing it flashes 1 red flash per watt. If electricity is being exported the red light glows constant red.
    If one turns on something one know must convert the system from exporting to importing, the result is not instant. It takes 10 seconds for the red light to turn off - this ten second delay seems to be constant regardless of the size of the load imposed to exceed the generation from the inverter.

Area under the "lighthouse" graph of watts being generated: 2.7 kWh
  • sly_dog_jonah
    Options
    Thursday: 1.3kWh
    Friday: 6.0kWh
    Saturday: 0.3kWh
    Sunday: 5.5kWh
    Monday: 2.4kWh

Generation so far this month is 126.8kWh, so we've just nudged past the PVGIS Classic estimate of 126kWh, thanks mainly to the good start to the month.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • Oscargrouch
    Options
    900 Wh.. 0.42p. :beer:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback