Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• pantherkaz
    pantherkaz Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi please could someone advise me on what to do next.

I applied on behalf of my son to reclaim his bank charges for the past 6 years with Santander.

I used the financial hardship template letter and the bank has replied straight away.

It states ....Whilst the fees have been applied to your account correctly, I have forwarded this case for a further review to our Financial Support Team.
    We are able to offer you a gesture of goodwill, to assist you with your fees. To discuss this further ...phone/write...etc etc....

What do I do now??
  • Hi can anyone send ne a link to the 1st letter I should send to my bank asking for a list of my bank charges for the past 6 years under the data protection act.

As when I've found then in a signature it always seems to be a dead link thank you.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Forget asking for the charges for 6 years, the banks won the court case on unfair charges. Yo are only lilely to have a small amount refunded if you can show you are currently in financial hardship
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • obstinatrix
    Options
    I wrote to Halifax on my partners' behalf, listing all the unauthorised overdraft fee charges they'd charged her since 2011 (when the account opened) and asking for them back. I sent the letter on Monday, using the template found on this website, and used online banking to get an accurate list of charges.

Charges amounted to £370; the fees calculator on here suggested it came to £438 with interest, so that's what I asked for. They refunded my partner £400 on Friday, no questions asked. We are extremely happy with that. Thanks so much for this guide.
  • Richard_479
    Options
    In 2009 i took out a £4000 education/student loan with Barclays as the loan provider. The information provided by my loan agreement insisted that i would not have to pay off my loan until i had found employment as a consequence of my training. After my course i did not subsequently find employment. I am still unemployed.
    That said in 2011 Barclays informed me that the debt must be paid or interest would be charged. This threat became reality. I quickly calculated that i would be paying in excess of £110 per month forever and not paying off the initial £4000 debt. After 3 payments i approached a family member who understood my predicament and helped me out with "strings attached".
    In 2014 Barclays subsequently repaid all of the interest that i had paid. WHY!!!

My question is, not only did they illegally charge me this interest, but the hassle that i had to go through to pay the original £4000 and the subsequent "strings" that i had to endure must entitle me to seek compensation for Barclays failure to comply with their terms and conditions.

I would be grateful if i could find a precedence for my experience or perhaps some positive feedback. Thanking all in advance for your time and consideration.
  • Richard_479
    Options
    In 2009 i took out a £4000 education/student loan with Barclays as the loan provider. The information provided by my loan agreement insisted that i would not have to pay off my loan until i had found employment as a consequence of my training. After my course i did not subsequently find employment. I am still unemployed.
    That said in 2011 Barclays informed me that the debt must be paid or interest would be charged. This threat became reality. I quickly calculated that i would be paying in excess of £110 per month forever and not paying off the initial £4000 debt. After 3 payments i approached a family member who understood my predicament and helped me out with "strings attached".
    In 2014 Barclays subsequently repaid all of the interest that i had paid. WHY!!!

My question is, not only did they illegally charge me this interest, but the hassle that i had to go through to pay the original £4000 and the subsequent "strings" that i had to endure must entitle me to seek compensation for Barclays failure to comply with their terms and conditions.

I would be grateful if i could find a precedence for my experience or perhaps some positive feedback. Thanking all in advance for your time and consideration.
  • RobbieP_2
    Options
    I've been experiencing a bit of a cycle of charges from Natwest.

Charges were making me go overdrawn incurring further charges which was impossible to break because I'm on such a low income.

I rang Natwest up and they refunded all the charges I have incurred this year and cancelled any further charges currently incurred.

Money will be put back in my account overnight.
  • claire2711
    Options
    Hiya not sure if I'd be entitled? I'm with RBS and have been charged for direct debits coming out with an unarranged overdraft, hoping I'd be able to get at least a wee something back? Any help would be awesome cheers :beer: x
    Doing the 365 day challenge and saving like crazy :D
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    claire2711 wrote: »
    Hiya not sure if I'd be entitled? I'm with RBS and have been charged for direct debits coming out with an unarranged overdraft, hoping I'd be able to get at least a wee something back? Any help would be awesome cheers :beer: x

No unfortunately you're not automatically entitled to a refund of bank charges if they have been made in line with the banks terms and conditions, however if you are in current financial hardship you can approach your bank who may be able to help you by refunding some charges or other concessions though this is entirely at the banks discretion. To qualify as being in hardship you should have no non essential expenditure such as Sky, frequent meals out etc. NB You have duplicated your post it's on two different threads
  • sharonsugar
    Options
    I wrote to Barclays years ago to complain about the unfair overdraft charges on my account, at the time I was in financial dire straits and struggled every month to keep within the £2,000 overdraft limit. At the time I was charged a fee for the account (which I am claiming against), interest on my overdraft AND overdraft fees, which I think were £35 a time back then.

I wrote to them years ago, before all this reclaiming was known about as I felt it was so unfair, that their way of banking actually kept me trapped in an expensive situation that I had no way of improving - they offered me no other help (loan or credit card option).

They did nothing for my case - and today feeling inspired by everyone success stories I thought I would try again. I spoke to Barclays who say they can only give me statements as far back as 6 years, is this true!?

And surely this isn't fair, especially when I made attempts (in writing) to address these unfair charges. How do I take this forward or do I just accept six years is as far back as they will go?

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure