Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• sarbaz2007
    sarbaz2007 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    I have almost read through the whole post but did not find the answer to this?

If i had debts which i stopped paying for around 6 years ago and a few again around 4 years ago, and then got a few new credit cards about a year ago and now stopped paying for them,

1. would i be able to apply for a DRO?
    2.would i be able to add the debt from 6/5 years ago?
  • broken_spirit
    Options
    scarlet55 wrote: »
    hi broken spirit...u need to listen to what fatbelly has said as he's an expert....i didnt realize that your dla didnt have to be included in your expenditure...if thats the case then you should be fine with a dro....get everything together...bank statement, credit file ect and go back to the cccs and tell them everything....they wont bat an eyelid believe me, they will have heard worse stories than yours....do it tomorrow...and you will sleep better i can assure you.........i wont b around much today as im going to my daughters for lunch so hope this helps....happy mothers day xx :):)

:beer: Your a diamond Scarlet. Same to you, have a gr8 day xxx
    I am a Leo...& as such I will defend my "pride" ferociously....you have been warned!
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Options
    sarbaz2007 wrote: »
    I have almost read through the whole post but did not find the answer to this?

If i had debts which i stopped paying for around 6 years ago and a few again around 4 years ago, and then got a few new credit cards about a year ago and now stopped paying for them,

1. would i be able to apply for a DRO?
    2.would i be able to add the debt from 6/5 years ago?

Firstly if you can prove your Dad made all the payments the motor will be fine, you are only borrowing the car he bought, it HAS to be registered in your name for insurance purposes if you are the main driver, so no problem.

All debts must be included in the DRO, regardless of how old they are, so any old ones, even if they are statute barred must go in.
  • wba31
    Options
    scarlet55 wrote: »
    hi broken spirit...u need to listen to what fatbelly has said as he's an expert....i didnt realize that your dla didnt have to be included in your expenditure...if thats the case then you should be fine with a dro....get everything together...bank statement, credit file ect and go back to the cccs and tell them everything....they wont bat an eyelid believe me, they will have heard worse stories than yours....do it tomorrow...and you will sleep better i can assure you.........i wont b around much today as im going to my daughters for lunch so hope this helps....happy mothers day xx :):)

The DLA must still go into the SOA on the forms, but all the expenditure it covers can be offset or covered by comments in the comment field. If you already have dealings with CCCS, just ask to speak to their DRO team. If you have extra debts to add on that weren't declared on the DMP it shouldnt cause a problem, as someone in their DRO team has told me...
  • wba31
    Options
    mboro wrote: »
    Here is a question.....If I decide that a DRO is the right solution for me and then a year or 2 down the line I get married, will the DRO affect my husband's credit file, joint mortgage that we may want to get or any bussiness he wants to start up?

The DRO will not affect your future husbands credit file in any way shape or form. it will simply go on your credit report only.
    With a joint mortgage, due it being on your credit report you may need to seek advice from an independent broker, but i have seen couples who have both gone bankrupt get a good mortgage within the 6 years through a broker
  • broken_spirit
    Options
    wba31 wrote: »
    The DLA must still go into the SOA on the forms, but all the expenditure it covers can be offset or covered by comments in the comment field. If you already have dealings with CCCS, just ask to speak to their DRO team. If you have extra debts to add on that weren't declared on the DMP it shouldnt cause a problem, as someone in their DRO team has told me...

Thanks for your advice. Do I have to list all expenditure from my DLA individually with receipts or can it would it be suffice to list under the "other adult expenses" ? I just want to make sure I've prepared everything I can in advance, so I can get the ball rolling asap & lift the stress I feel under at the moment. Thaks in advance x
    I am a Leo...& as such I will defend my "pride" ferociously....you have been warned!
  • scarlet55
    scarlet55 Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    im not 100% sure but as wba31 says go and see your cccs councillor and tell them you want to see the dro team...the one i saw at the cab office was fantastic...i was really nervous but there was no need...explain everything and they will sit down with you and go through it all...i wasnt sure what to put on my soa or even how much to put down for things...they will know what the trigger figures are and they will do it step by step with you..there was no-one more nervous than me but my dro is being put through on wednesday and i cant tell you how good it feels to be nearly at the end of my journey, and you will be the same im sure.xx:)
  • scarlet55
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    one more thing...i dont think you will need your reciepts...i didnt.
  • sarbaz2007
    sarbaz2007 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    One last thing the account i currently use has an overdraft which i want to include, but i stopped paying 2 of my other card since 2 months ago and this account has been in use thus the interest charge has been taken since 2 months ago plus the 2 payments to littlewoods. Account is up to date in terms of payment minus the actual overdraft.

Does this mean preffential treatment?

So for this to be included do i need to stop using the account and wait for it to be closed or should i just stop using the account and add it DRO, also either way would they ask for statements?
  • scarlet55
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    all of my accounts were up to date when i saw my dro adviser except a catalogue that i defaulted on last year, i thought that this might be classed as preferential treatment but the dro adviser..and fatbelly said no,only iff you pay one a substantial amount while not paying anything to the others, so if u'v just been paying them as normal then you should be ok...concerning the bank statements, i just had to take my last months in and i think that is to check your income more than anything else, they will also want a list of all your creditors plus the balance on all your debts, just phone the CAB or cccs and tell them you want an appointment with the dro team, i went to the CAB, they were brilliant..good luck.:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback