Hsbc new secure key - i hate it !!!

Options
hi, ive been with hsbc for 14 years and today i set up and registered the secure key.
and ive got to say i hate it, everytime you log in you have to generate a new secure code on a calculator style device, similar in size to a debit card.
so basically you must always have this device with you if you want to log in to hsbc's internet banking.
it is so stupid, and not practical for me at all. i am a regular user of internet banking and this makes it such a pain "have hsbc even thought about this?????"

probably others will love it??? i know security is important but i find having to have this device with you is ridiculous.

so much so i am already looking to swap banks and take all my savings away from hsbc.
can anyone else recomend a good internet banking facility? with the ability to stop and remove direct debits online etc, and easy to use.

how is everyone else finding it.

Comments

• Lith
    Lith Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    its a good size, for a wallet, i've had no problems with it..

its barclays pin sentry i have a problem with. far to big
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
  • allan673
    allan673 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    le loup thanks for the sarcastic answer - very nice of you.
    my problem is you cannot log into hsbc online unless you have the device with you.
  • Grimbal
    Grimbal Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have to admit I'm not a fan either. I've put it on my car key - my thinking is that I'm such a lazy b*gger that as I never go anywhere without the car, I won't be without the little gadget either

anyone know how it works out of interest? Is it a random number generator - and if so, how is this transmitted? Or is it loaded up in advance with a series of numbers? Been driving me mad thinking about it since I first received it
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
  • tellmeitsfriday
    Options
    allan673 wrote: »
    my problem is you cannot log into hsbc online unless you have the device with you.

To be honest, that's probably what it's designed to do.

I hate it too! I have a HSBC Credit Card, so I've been lumbered with one.

My main account is with First Direct, and I love it - I am still waiting for a proper reply to a message I sent them asking if there were planning to implement the hideous thing. Their reply was basically "security is important to us"
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With the number of smart phones now available I don't know why you can't have an app on your phone which replicates the secure code device. Would be a lot easier. Blizzard use it for their games such as WoW and Starcraft2.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    probably others will love it??? i know security is important but i find having to have this device with you is ridiculous.

Device has been around for many years for accessing business account banking software. With the accepted weakness in online banking security. This seems an acceptable measure of protection. If someone raided your online banking accounts you'd be up in arms. So the banks can never win.
  • allan673
    allan673 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my mortgage is with first direct. i may transfer my banking to them? i am looking this weekend at alternatives to hsbc. are lloyds any good for internet banking??
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    my mortgage is with first direct. i may transfer my banking to them? i am looking this weekend at alternatives to hsbc. are lloyds any good for internet banking??

Halifax and Lloyds have the same, I prefer HSBCs though (apart from the device).
  • charlieboycat
    Options
    are lloyds any good for internet banking??
    I find them ok (like many on here, I have multiple Vantage accounts). No card reader or other device involved - and since they've only recently overhauled their online banking I would assume they have no plans to introduce them.
  • *Ro*
    *Ro* Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    Ironically just got mine in the post this morning :eek:
    err will see how it goes, probably will end up not using the account and getting blocked.... !!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure