How is everyone's routine?

Options

Comments

• notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Kynthia wrote: »
    Because she doesn't need us to help her for an hour now and needs less help with each passing month. What's my bolded comment got to do with 7pm-7am? Stop being defensive as I'm talking about my daughter not your children.

Surely you don't think it's ideal for an 8 month old to need an hour of a parent's help to sleep as eventually children should be able to go to sleep themselves whenever their bedtime is? So parents should be working towards that, and I don't mean through controlled crying before you accuse me of that.

DD will be 4 soon and has only really been going to sleep on her own for around a year. An 8 month old is still a baby, and at that age (and now) DD could have whatever she needed from me. They aren't babies for long.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • Imp
    Imp Posts: 1,035 Forumite
    Options
    joshp1407 wrote: »

For me:
    6:30 Baby wakes up. I get up with him as his mother has been up during the night with feeds etc (he's breast fed)
    8:30 Wake up mother to allow up both a little time together for breakfast
    9:30 Leave for work
    10:00-18:00 Work
    18:45 Arrive home and get changed
    19:00 Eat (all three of us, little one is on some solids)
    19:30 Wind down with baby
    20:00 Take him to bed (he's not great for sleep, needs a lot of help)
    21:00 Finally get downstairs
    21:30 Too tired to continue, bed.

A 3 year old and a 1 year old

Alarm clock goes off at 5:00am
    On my way to work by 6:00am
    Back from work at 7:00pm if the traffic is okay. Eat dinner with family. If I'm back later they don't wait.
    Put kids to bed at 7:30pm
    Kids normally settled bed by 8:00pm
    8:00-8:15pm, wife complaining I don't do enough around the house and how tired she is.
    Shattered, so sometimes I am asleep before the kids, but normally in bed by 9:30pm.
  • Mrs_Imp
    Mrs_Imp Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Options
    Imp wrote: »
    A 3 year old and a 1 year old

Alarm clock goes off at 5:00am
    On my way to work by 6:00am
    Back from work at 7:00pm if the traffic is okay. Eat dinner with family. If I'm back later they don't wait.
    Put kids to bed at 7:30pm
    Kids normally settled bed by 8:00pm
    8:00-8:15pm, wife complaining I don't do enough around the house and how tired she is.
    Shattered, so sometimes I am asleep before the kids, but normally in bed by 9:30pm.

That's his Friday routine! He works away the rest of the week, hence why I'm tired.

Our eldest used to take an hour or two to be settled, until we cut out afternoon naps. Now he's starting to go to sleep by himself after his bedtime story and chocolate milk. Although I miss the bedtime cuddles with him, and the forced hour of doing nothing but be with him.
  • katiegizmo
    katiegizmo Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds a pretty typical routine to me - you're doing great and a lot of people feel some of what you're feeling, I know I definitely did and still do sometimes. My lo is 2 now and had huge teething issues which made an impact on sleep. Many a night we spent up to 4 hours settling her to sleep. It got a lot easier to bear when we realised it wasn't lo being a pickle, there was a reason for it. We tried to embrace the quiet time instead, it was a relax and cuddle time.
    I don't think you should change what you are doing but it may be worth exploring the why.... maybe cutting naps would cut the get-to-sleep time, or eating earlier etc.
    I would try these things and if they don't work, there's a saying I like - 'when you have a baby a day can feel like a year but a year can feel like a heartbeat'

the other thing I would do is make sure you schedule in some time out for you and oh. Ask family for help in amusing the lo for a few hours on a weekend now and then. Blitz the to-do list then and have a spot of lunch together. It'll keep you saner!
    MFW 2015 so far..... £1808.70
    :) 2014 - £1451 2013 - £1600 2012 - £4145 2011 - £5715 2010 - £3258:)
    Big new mortgage from 2017 :shocked:

• notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    With babies "sleep breeds sleep". Cutting out naps is unlikely to help.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • katiegizmo
    katiegizmo Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    Generally agreed that sleep begets sleep....unless you're my lo who viewed naps as something sent to torture her! Lucky me!
    But gently changing naps may work - longer in morning so pm nap can be shorter, gradually moving earlier that kind of thing as others have suggested.
    MFW 2015 so far..... £1808.70
    :) 2014 - £1451 2013 - £1600 2012 - £4145 2011 - £5715 2010 - £3258:)
    Big new mortgage from 2017 :shocked:

• lidlest
    lidlest Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    Its not a competition!

My thoughts exactly - I'm not a single mum, but I do have 2 children, one on the way and definitely need to figure out how to get some couple time into our routine.

We all have different stresses and strains
  • Blindsided_2
    Blindsided_2 Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    My 4 year old is still an awful sleeper, she never went down before 10pm, and naps in the day were and still are unheard of. Even now she is up several times a night and ends up sleeping in my bed so everyone can get some rest.
    I did laugh at the all children will sleep just be firm comment, I was firm, we tried every sleep trianing technique going, for weeks on end. Nothing ever worked.
    I keep thinking it can only get better!
  • TooTallTim
    Options
    It is very hard in the early stages, I remember. It does get better though! Hang in there mate ;-)
  • paye
    paye Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im 33 and have two little kids , my daughter is a 4 year old and my son is one year old. My mrs gets my daughter ready and I get my son ready.

Here my daily routine.

6:15am Mrs wakes up and sorts out the kids uniform and clothes for the baby.

06:45am I wake up and get ready and have a quick cup of tea.
    07:15am I wake my little boy up and get him ready
    07:30 - Out the door for work.

It's tiring but you get use to it.
    Save Save Save:o

SPC 593 paye:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts