Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• merlin34
    merlin34 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter in her wisdom has decided to go to go to the Ayia Napa resort in Cyprus. She is 18 and to many insurers it will be evident what she is going for.....to drink! Any suggestions other than don't go for what insurancce companies she can get quotes from? Is the 18/30 club any good for getting insurance?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 6 June 2013 at 10:54PM
    Options
    A good company (but not dirt cheap) I've used is Explorer Travel Insurance based in Southend http://www.explorerinsurance.co.uk/

I've used them to cover me for a 50 day trip to south Asia and a 14 day trip to Egypt. On the Asia trip I had to get medical inpatient treatment for 3 days in Nepal and had to claim - paid up ok and no real hassles.

One really good point is that you can just phone/email the office and you'll get to speak to the owner (Ian) quite often and they made flexible amendments to our cover at no extra cost.

It cost around £260 to cover both me & my husband (I have numerous medical issues) for 7 weeks to Nepal & India - well spent when my medical treatment I had to have cost me this plus the excess of £75 - otherwise the bill would have been £400+ plus the reassurance of having repatriation/emergency flights if needed.

The conditions I wanted covered were - but they do not cover some mental health issues as is the case with most other firms.

They can quote annual policies up to age 79 - but over 80's and people with medical issues can get single trip cover on the Platinum Policy, this is what we did both times.

Hope this helps!
  • Irish_Angel_2
    Options
    My friend and her husband split up a few years ago after being together for 40 years but have remained friends. They have never divorced so technically are still married. Her husband had a TIA 18months ago but is find no. They are going on holiday soon but the problem she has is when trying to take out a couples travel insurance policy, they ask if they have lived together for over 6 months which they haven't. Is there anyway round this as they are still married and if not would she be able to get a single policy for herself which would cover her if anything happened to her husband while they are away. There is no problem getting Pre existing medical insurance Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If she is travelling with her husband then most policies cover Close Relatives and Travelling Companions. However they would both have to declare the PEMC to their insurance companies and have it accepted.
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    hello - my son is going to Salou for a week at the end of june and hopes to visit a theme park called Portaventura which has various rides .. I need to buy him holiday insurance and am going cross eyed. has anyone found an insurer they like? thank you.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    luci wrote: »
    Have a look at https://www.eta.co.uk They will cover PEMC's provided there has been no change in medication in the past 12 months.
    This is pretty good, but check the wording carefully. This only applies to PEMCs for which you are taking prescribed drugs. You are not covered for any PEMC for which you do not take medication.

So, for instance, my daughter has asthma, but not bad enough to need any medication. If her asthma flared up whilst on holiday, she would not be covered. Ditto my wife's back, on which she had an operation 2 years ago, but takes no medication.
    koru
  • koru
    Options
    Boltonlass wrote: »
    I have just got an annual European policy for a couple with Eurotunnel Insurance for £70.50. You have to be using their Eurotunnel service at least once within the year but I think they offer world cover as well as european. The only pre existing question they ask is pasted and copied from the policy document here:
    "• It is a condition of this policy that:
    1 If you have a medical condition, you must ask your doctor if it
    is safe for you to travel to your chosen destination,"

And here:
    "2 If you have a medical condition, you must tell us about any
    changes in your circumstances before you travel.
    3 You will not be covered if you travel against the advice of your
    doctor. If you had not consulted your doctor before travelling,
    your doctor will need to provide confirmation that, had they
    been consulted they would have considered you fit to travel."

I am pretty experienced at looking for this type of insurance over the years as I am a kidney transplant patient. I have never previously been able to get annual insurance and I feel happy that I can comply with the conditions of this particular insurance.
    URL here:
    http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/insurance/

If you aren't using their Eurotunnel service, it could be worth hunting out their cheapest ticket just to be able to give them your booking reference in order to qualify for the insurance. I know how difficult and how expensive pre existing travel insurance can be and this is easily the cheapest and least hassle insurance that I have come across.

Hope this helps others out there.
    This looks wonderful. By far the most reasonable exclusion I have ever seen. Are you sure you need to travel with them? You can add it to your ticket booking OR there's a phone line you can call, so does the phone line demand a booking ref?
    koru
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    koru wrote: »
    This is pretty good, but check the wording carefully. This only applies to PEMCs for which you are taking prescribed drugs. You are not covered for any PEMC for which you do not take medication.

So, for instance, my daughter has asthma, but not bad enough to need any medication. If her asthma flared up whilst on holiday, she would not be covered. Ditto my wife's back, on which she had an operation 2 years ago, but takes no medication.

Have you called them to have this confirmed?

I called them to declare a new medical condition, but because I am not taking medication for it then it didnt need to be declared and is covered.
  • Irish_Angel_2
    Options
    Thank you for your reply Luci, my friend phoned InsureandGo explained the situation and was able to get annual insurance for the both of them for £96 72. Thank you once again
  • koru
    edited 16 June 2013 at 3:30PM
    Options
    luci wrote: »
    Have you called them to have this confirmed?

I called them to declare a new medical condition, but because I am not taking medication for it then it didnt need to be declared and is covered.
    I was going by the wording of the Key Facts part of the ETA policy. This says:

"Pre-existing medical conditions are excluded other than in the following circumstances:
    It is a condition for which you take prescribed drugs but there has been no increase or decrease in the quantity or frequency of those drugs or change to the type of drugs prescribed within the last 12 months.
    You have regular check-ups for an ongoing condition for which you
    take prescribed drugs and those check-ups have not resulted in treatment for that condition or any change to the type frequency or quantity of drugs prescribed for the condition within the last 12 months."

Therefore, the basic rule seems to be that PEMCs are not covered, but there are some exceptions in the case where you take prescribed drugs. However, if I look at the actual wording of the policy itself, I think the situation is not as bad as this suggests. What the Key Facts wording does not make clear is that their definition of a PEMC is extremely narrow, even before you look at the exception for prescribed drugs. The general exclusions section says:

"We shall not be liable under any section of this insurance in respect of:
    2. Any claims or expenses arising directly or indirectly from any of your medical conditions for which medical advice or treatment has been given by a medical practitioner or hospital during the twelve
    months prior to any trip covered by this Certificate.
    This exclusion shall not apply to any condition for which you take regular continuing medication provided that there has been no change in the type, frequency or quantity of drugs within the last twelve months. However no claims or expenses relating to such condition will be admitted hereunder in the event of your failure to take such drugs in accordance with the medical advice given."

So, the starting point is that any medical condition (other than mental health - see below) is covered as long as you have had no medical advice or treatment in relation to the condition in the 12 months prior to your trip. That's really good.

For conditions on which you have had medical advice or treatment in the last 12 months, you are still covered as long as it is a condition for which you take regular continuing medication and there has been no change in your prescription over the last 12 months.

Therefore, it would appear that, based on a strict interpretation of the wording of the agreement, the only conditions (other than mental health related - see below) that are not covered are those for which you receive medical advice or treatment in the 12 months prior to your trip and (a) you are not on medication for that condition or (b) your prescription has changed in the last 12 months. What you were told over the phone therefore seems inconsistent with the actual policy wording, unless your new condition is one for which you have not received any medical advice or treatment.

One other point that I noticed from looking at the policy wording is that there is a sweeping exclusion of cover for any medical condition that is in any way related to even the mildest mental health problems, no matter how long ago. The general exclusions include:

"6. Any claims due to any condition caused by, prolonged by, or aggravated by any psychiatric, mental or nervous disorder, including stress, anxiety and/or depression."

This isn't just picking up major psychiatric disorders such as bipolar and schizophrenia. Many of us have a degree of stress, anxiety or depression, even though most of us would not regard this as being a mental health problem. Could this give them a way to wriggle out of paying up on, say, a heart attack, if they could show, say, that you had a bit of trouble sleeping at some point, due to stress, and could argue that this might have aggravated an undiagnosed heart problem?
    koru
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure