We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Travel Insurance Article Discussion

1…3536384041…88

Comments

  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,704 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Gamegal wrote: »
    After receiving the last email from Martin & needing annual travel insurance (Europe) from early September I entered our details & medical issues on the moneysupermarket.com

    Both my husband & I take medication for high BP, he takes meds for high cholestrol &, as part of the free checks for men aged 65+, he has recently been found to have a small abdominal aortic aneurysm (3.2cm) which, he was advised, would be checked annually.

    After spending ages entering everything I had a message saying there had nothing that met our conditions!

    Crazy!

    We have property in Spain & need cover for up to 90days a trip.

    We were told by friends who do their insurance through LV that they were good for their conditions & they want roughly £150 for annual cover for up to 90 days a trip .... is this good?

    Thanks for reading.

    On the basis of the facts given, I'd say that £150 would be an excellent price if it covers you both. Even if it were just to cover your husband, I'd still say it was well worth it.

    Pre-existing medical conditions are a license to print money for insurers - particularly for the over-65s. £150 for an annual policy is very much on the low side if it covers you both.
  • hoffy
    hoffy Posts: 13 Forumite
    Am planning to travel with my kid 3 years old to US from 18/06/2013 till 15/10/2013 which is 4 months. I have a bank account that provides me 31 days travel insurance worldwide. Can I chose for this bank insurance for 31 days till 18/07/2013 and then buy another travel insurance from a different insurer for the rest of my journey? this will help me to save money.

    Thanks in advance
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    hoffy wrote: »
    Am planning to travel with my kid 3 years old to US from 18/06/2013 till 15/10/2013 which is 4 months. I have a bank account that provides me 31 days travel insurance worldwide. Can I chose for this bank insurance for 31 days till 18/07/2013 and then buy another travel insurance from a different insurer for the rest of my journey? this will help me to save money.

    Thanks in advance

    Nope, Not usually
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    hoffy wrote: »
    Am planning to travel with my kid 3 years old to US from 18/06/2013 till 15/10/2013 which is 4 months. I have a bank account that provides me 31 days travel insurance worldwide. Can I chose for this bank insurance for 31 days till 18/07/2013 and then buy another travel insurance from a different insurer for the rest of my journey? this will help me to save money.

    Thanks in advance

    Nope, Not usually and it wouldn't be cheaper.
  • janet_oggy
    janet_oggy Posts: 62 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    My two daughters (aged 19 and 16) have booked to go to Mallorca in July (along with their 17 year-old cousin), and are obviously needing insurance. The problem is that one is an adult and the other is a child and having looked at various insurers, I am struggling to find a suitable policy as the 19 year old is obviously NOT the parent of the 16 year old (so they cannot get cover on a family policy), and the 16-year old cannot get her own policy as she is not 18 (obviously !!). Does anyone have any suggestions please ??
  • slaterio
    slaterio Posts: 45 Forumite
    Hi

    We are a family of 5 going to Spain in august. Our daughter aged 17 is also going to Majorca in July. Does anyone know if there is a family policy that would also cover her for the separate holiday?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,551 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    slaterio wrote: »
    Hi

    We are a family of 5 going to Spain in august. Our daughter aged 17 is also going to Majorca in July. Does anyone know if there is a family policy that would also cover her for the separate holiday?

    If you Google "annual travel insurance family independent" you should get a few results.
  • joho
    joho Posts: 4,797 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    What a minefield!!

    Can anyone point me towards a policy for European travel, single trip for a healthy under 60 couple that will cover me for a single item worth up to £1500? I am lucky to have some nice jewellery that I would need covering.

    I've done the moneysupermarket approach of searching but it is very timeconsuming checking each policy wording for single item cover!! My holiday will be over before I get to the end of the list!
    If you have nothing constructive to say just move along.
  • joface
    joface Posts: 95 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi, can someone possibly explain to me the following....

    when I get a quote through moneysupermarket for travel insurance I am offered, amongst others, topdog policies that are called 'economy' 'standard' & 'premier'. now, when I go direct to topdog for a quote, I get offered 'silver' 'gold' & 'platinum' levels?

    I have cross referenced them and they are the same levels of cover but by going through moneysupermarket my quote comes out more than half as much than going direct, £24.80 through money supermarket for topdogs 'premier' policy and £53.92 direct with topdog for their 'platinum' policy. I know this is GOOD news but I am travelling with my mum who is 66 (I am 40) so I would of expected the quote to be the higher quote of £53.92 so now I am suspicious that by going through money supermarket with the cheaper quote she won't be covered :mad:

    she has no medical condition so she doesn't need special cover or anything

    or am I just being paranoid & should just go with the lowest quote!
  • Wife and I are UK residents but rent a flat in Spain long term. We go there for anything from 2 to 11 weeks at a time on budget flights.

    We are only interested in medical/repatriation cover for emergencies.

    Baggage and flight cover is not required.

    Anyone know anyone who does this? Loads of other Brits do the same but rely on EHIC cards.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.