PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does it take you to clean your house?

Options

Comments

• sillyme673
    sillyme673 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I feel like it constant. The kids never put any thing away.
    It reminds me of what a lady I worked with years ago asked me how many times a week I wiped down my skirting boards! I was newly married and only had wiped then before painting them before. I now vacuum them when remember.
    I am just not a good housewife:rotfl:
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options
    I never clean the whole house all at once!:o

I hoover every other day, clean the toilet daily and dust surfaces daily.

I probably spend about 20 minutes a day on housework.
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I only Hoover once a week, no kids at home now, though.

Star drops on work tops as needed, similarly kitchen floor.

I hate housework and would have a cleaner again, if I could justify it.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear....honestly, it only happens for visitors! But I can do a decent clean (*not* skirtingboards level) in about 2 hours. Its a one bed flat, with only myself n a rather energetic kitten. Dusting/hoovering happens, at most, once every few weeks. Bathroom maybe a little more frequently. Kitchen is a permanent work in progress (lots of work clothes and I have to dry laundry inside).

Today I've spent about 4 hours gently pottering - cleaned the kitchen, sorted lots of laundry and been varnishing a table. I may have to make a decluttering sweep again - makes cleaning so much faster! Problem is, I hate getting rid of stuff, and am too poor to replace anything!
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To pay someone to do what I do in my house (excluding laundry and cooking) I would have to pay someone for 3 hours a day Monday to Friday. Most of it is repartition due to the dogs but I try and fit in one extra cleaning item every day.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a two bedroom mid terrace. Two adults out at work all day with no children or pets.

In reality it takes me about 4 weeks to get around the whole house. ;)

If I feel like cleaning then I can dust and vacuum upstairs and clean the bathroom in about an hour I would say.

Downstairs would take longer as the kitchen and hall way are a good size. This is if I'm doing things properly.

I'm a cleaner btw in a Nursing Home, I had a dream last night about skirting boards! I was very proud of it in my dream. There really is no hope!
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a book on kindle called The lost art of house cleaning by Jan m dougherty £6.50. The paperback version is expensive though Its not for the faint hearted more a deep clean spring clean guide. She runs a cleaning company in America. Her cleaning products are natural and very ms. The big purchase is a product called krud cleaner. You can buy it in the UK but I just used what I had -flash gel. She teaches her staff to follow a certain path of sections around a room. It took me 4hrs to finish my kitchen I was done in but wow it was imaculate. Its easier to keep cleaner now though. I will continue with the rest of house when I regain the energy I suffer from underactive thyroid so get fatigued quite easily. She says not to stop to clean out cuboards ect for now ust the surfaces from top to bottom left to right like professionals clean. Its hard work but I kinda enjoyed the results. She has some videos on y** t**e to check out.
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    Gosh, there are some keen cleaners out there!

It takes me about two hours to do our house, including changing the bed, if there is no-one else in and DS and DD are away at Uni. This happens once a week, without fail.

The rest of the time, I make myself ignore the dust. I used to clean much more when I had two small children in the house but I feel it's healthier (for my head) not to do too much at the moment.

A quick think about friends' houses puts me about in the middle of the cleanliness chart.
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like the house to myself when i clean too. I will have tomorrow so lets hope I have the energy. Not having a clean and tidy house makes me feel drained so its a catch 22 situation. Im dealing with the clutter and that helps as its easier to clean up then. I wasnt taught to clean just told to get it done. My mother had a few part time jobs so left to me to clean up. Housework and cooking wasnt her thing bless her. I remember pulling the twin tub washer out to do a wash I must have been about 10 !!! I wasnt alone some of my friends looked after younger siblings whilst parents were out at work for an hour or two! Imagine that nowadays! My mother took me to work with her mostly though. I used to wash my socks and undies for school in the bathroom sink then hang them in the airing cubhoard to dry for the next day.
    still do that sometimes with smalls.
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well I certainly couldn't do it in a couple of hours. Mind you I am not as young as I was so that probably makes a difference.

I could do it in an 8 hour day but I wouldn't want to so I do just what I feel like at the time. I am retired so don't have work restraints.

I get up at 7:30 each morning take washing downstairs and put it in. Unload the dishwasher, have a slice of toast and a peppermint tea and sit down watching the birds or read yesterdays paper for about half hour. By this time the washing is usually done and I hang out stuff on hangers over the doors on those hook thingies.

Then take DH a cup of tea in bed if he is still in there (I feel he deserves this as all his working life he was up early and was on his feet all day). If he is, I have a shower and he gets the job of cleaning the shower and sink round. If I'm last I do it.

By then it is around 10:30 and we both walk to the shops for exercise and shopping or just a paper.

By the time we get home it is lunch time which probably takes an hour.

After that I might do a bit of housework so you see a good part of the day has gone.

A friend of mine had moths in her carpet so I am paranoid about this so every so often I forget the dusting and pull out what furniture I can and vacuum round all the carpet edges.

Of course I don't housework everyday, I go out and enjoy myself, often.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure