Get a grip !

Options

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Morning SW. Its bright and breezy here today excellent drying weather ! I've got the first load out on the line, dishwasher is on and I've bleached the bathroom. I think at some point I am going to have to regrout the tiles round the shower as no amount of bleach can get it white again. A job for the summer when it can be thoroughly dried out.

Windows are open letting some lovely fresh air in. Its forecast rain for tomorrow so I need to get as much washing done as possible today and dried outside.

I'm going to finish cleaning my kitchen cupboards today & mop the floor, then I am going to tackle the oven. I did look at a voucher deal for a professional clean at £35 but decided to do it myself. I've got one of those oven pride boxes & will put the shelves in to soak overnight. I need to find the instructions for the oven and work out how to take the door apart so I can clean the glass.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As it was so nice and sunny this morning I did some gardening instead of cleaning cupboards. Chopped back some of the shrubs and pruned my roses and had a general tidy. All clippings in new green bin for collection on Tuesday so no tip run necessary :T
    Then it rained about 3pm so washing brought in and not far off dry. Did a couple of bits of ironing this afternoon & cooked dinner. Feeling a bit sore and stiff after the gardening :o so I decided to walk to the co-op for some milk (still £1 for 4 pints) and as I arrived they were reducing stuff so I got a steak pie for 10p and a meatballs & spaghetti 10p both now in the freezer.

Oven shelves are now soaking in the bag overnight and I've put some of the liquid on the bottom of the oven so hopefully will just wipe clean tomorrow
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a great use of the day. It was a good morning here for gardening i am envious of you making a start. Well done on your bargain shop at Coop.

May i ask where you got the Oven Pride thingy from? I would love to clean my oven but am too scared of what i might find in there. lol. :eek:
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I am glad I did my gardening yesterday as it is pouring with rain here today.

The oven pride seems to have done its job overnight on the shelves - I have swished the bag around a bit and will leave them for a few more hours. The bottom of the oven looks grim :o but hopefully that will wipe off later.

SW - I bought it when they were on offer but can't remember where. I think they may have been half price in Poundstretcher.
    I think they occasionally do them in the pound shop / poundland but otherwise they seem to be cheapest in Wilkinsons £3 and Tesco have them on offer at £3 at the moment according to mysupermarket. I have used it before and it is good stuff. There is a small pair of blue rubber gloves in the box with the solution and a big heavy duty resealable plastic bag to put the shelves in. I tend to wear a pair of proper rubber gloves to cover my arms as the stuff can splash about a bit when you rinse it off.

Other than clean my oven I have no plans for the rest of the day. Don't want to overdo it and hurt my back again like last weekend so will probably have an afternoon relaxing.

DS is working so will be gone 12-12 today. I got a few DVD's for xmas so I think I will have a movie afternoon. I am going to have the posh higgidy pie I got for 10p last night for dinner with a jacket potato & peas - they are usually £3:eek:

Should be a NSD :D

Living off savings diary
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Good for you SYA, it sounds like you had a very productive day yesterday and got lots of exercise in to boot so you deserve a day of rest! Those bargains in Co-op sound too good to be true - I never find anything decent in the yellow label areas in Tesco so maybe I should start going to Co-op in the evening instead?

Cleaning ovens is a pig but well done for doing it on your own. I'm interested in the bag thing that you used - I just use a spray that you leave on to soak and then wipe down, but it foams up so much you spend the rest of the afternoon trying to wipe it off! :rotfl:

I'm going to be doing a thorough clean of my house today - pulling furniture back from the walls and everything - as you two have really got me in the mood for cleaning. Future guests in my house thank you :beer:

I hope you enjoy your day of rest - what films have you got lined up?
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I have just had a big cooked breakfast/brunch bacon egg hash browns & beans I am stuffed. Should keep me going till tea time

I have a Nicholas Cage film - Pay the Ghost. I find his films are a bit "hit and miss" and a Gerard Butler film - anything with him in is a drool fest ! :rotfl:

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oooh I like Gerard Butler too! It has gone all grey outside. Yikes. There is nothing on the telly here. I will have to do housework to keep me busy. That's it my life is pants.:rotfl::rotfl:

I might put some nice music on to cheer me up. :):T:j
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Ahh I love a bit of Nic Cage! Con Air is one of my absolute faves, just so long as you don't take it too seriously! I've not heard of that film but I hope you enjoy it :) I completely agree about Gerard Butler, that accent combined with that bod.... mmm!
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 5 March 2017 at 8:18PM
    Options
    News on the oven cleaning... the shelves just rinsed off and are so clean they look like new with little effort. I used almost a full kitchen roll to wipe off the liquid on the bottom of the oven which was black :o Kitchen roll from aldee 50p & used an old kitchen dishcloth past its best for washing up but useful to wipe last of muck off.

I used my gardening kneeling cushion to get on the floor and used an old charity bag (the plastic ones that come through the door) to put all the kitchen roll in as I went along - then it went straight in the bin. I find we get several charity bags a week and they are useful for jobs such as these now that we have to pay for carrier bags :p

I managed to get DS's work stuff out on the line for an hour between heavy showers and then it took me about an hour and a half to complete the oven. I cant get to doors off to clean will need two people so will wait for poor old DP's to come down before attempting that !

I sat down for a rest about 3pm and woke up about 6pm :o I was awake early again this morning so obviously needed more sleep ! I wish I could sleep in later at the weekends but my inner alarm clock always goes off at 5am.

So Gerard hasn't saved London and Nic hasn't paid the ghost yet. Will have something to eat and maybe watch something after that.

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Have just done my weekly shop as aldee they had oven pride at £2.99 so I picked one up for next time :D

Shopping March now £127.93 / £300 - budget is £60 a week x 2 weeks so not far off target.

Orange petrol light was on this morning so the car was empty. I put £20 in at Tesco on my way to work & used my clubcard.

I need to get a surge extension lead this month & some lightbulbs which I will get from toolstation and I will use the water rates direct debit free monthly amount to pay for these & credit card bill £9.90. Hopefully £31.33 will be enough, if not I will use some money from the household bills account.

I have a couple of birthdays this month and mothers day coming up so I will need to get cards and £10 for my sister & £10 for mum but this will come from the birthday fund

Out to lunch on Thursday but just going to local caff which does lovely food (not a greasy spoon) at reasonable prices and a wide choice of roast dinners, omelettes, fry ups, burgers etc usually under £10 for decent meal and a mug of tea. :D

Living off savings diary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback