Who knows ? In debt & suicidal, you are not alone, read on PLEASE

Options

Comments

• SOMam
    SOMam Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    I have absolutely no experience with IVA's but as I understood it, Creditors couldn't hound you/charge interest while you are on an IVA?

Or is that one of the many "get out of debt" myths?

Gosh I am such a Newbie :eek:
    DFD - 12/2016 with 6.7% paid as of 07/14
    £ saved = 168.16 lbs lost = 4
    Weekly Spend Challenge(7/9) £20/£0
    Sept GC - £78.11/£300 Sept NSD's = 4
    OS Weight Loss Challenge - 0lb/5lb
  • GrinC
    GrinC Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    I love this thread. I guess a lot of us have been in that low place where you think there's no way out.

I'm also worried about the dmp payments and wondering if i should have added stuff on to give me more wiggle room. Can that even be done?
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    GrinC wrote: »
    I love this thread. I guess a lot of us have been in that low place where you think there's no way out.

I'm also worried about the dmp payments and wondering if i should have added stuff on to give me more wiggle room. Can that even be done?

Hi Grin,

all important that wiggle room and not just for tight trousers:rotfl: please pop into the DMP support thread an someone will be able to help you out there.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 July 2014 at 1:44PM
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for your suggestions. I have submitted an honest budget. Surely it would be questioned if I suddenly changed it to have no dogs but fag, booze and Sky subscriptions? They know I don't even have a television.
    I am no good at lying to people about stuff like this, and the excess still wouldn't cover paying someone to walk my dogs 2-3 times per week. A friend has offered to walk them 2-3 times per week too but for free.
    I just can't lift the despair. There isn't a way out. I just sit there with regrets running round and round and round.
    I am worn out now, there isn't enough of me left to deal with this. Thank you though. I don't know why I commented really, I am not really adding much to this thread. Sorry.

Hi Coins, I am pretty much in the same position at the moment - though I have been worse in the past. I wouldn't be here if it hadn't been for my previous dog, the late, great Jasper. He literally saved my life.

Please, PLEASE, don't give up. Who would look after your dogs? They love you so much and would be very distressed if you "went away"; they want you to be around them just as much as you want their company.

Have you tried http://www.stepchange.org/? They are free, confidential and VERY helpful.

Also, have a look at http://www.turn2us.org.uk/default.aspx, to see if anyone there can help.

Keep posting on here, there are lots of lovely people like Sazzie who can offer support and advice that CAN make a genuine and lasting difference.

Take care of yourself and KEEP GOING (and, trust me, I know that that is easy to say but hard to believe). It'll be OK, even if it doesn't seem like it at the moment. Give your dogs a big hug from me. xx

P.S. Please don't apologise for your posts - you have no idea how helpful they are to people who are feeling the same way as you but aren't able to summon the spirit to post as you have done. Simply knowing that there is another person in the same situation can be worth SO much - you ARE helping to make a difference. I am glad that you made the leap and posted your situation. x
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SOMam wrote: »
    I have absolutely no experience with IVA's but as I understood it, Creditors couldn't hound you/charge interest while you are on an IVA?

Or is that one of the many "get out of debt" myths?

Gosh I am such a Newbie :eek:

No myth, that's true. I've recently completed my IVA (miserable though, as the last vestiges of debt and desperation are hard to clear:o).

But once the creditors are informed that you are entering into an IVA (even if the IVA hasn't yet gone to creditors' meeting or to court) then they have to stop hassling you. If they do continue to pursue you after they've been notified re. the IVA process, simply inform your IVA provider; they'll deal with them.

I had a few contact me in the very early days, but they soon stopped. Good luck. x
  • SOMam
    SOMam Posts: 102 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2014 at 2:50PM
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for your suggestions. I have submitted an honest budget. Surely it would be questioned if I suddenly changed it to have no dogs but fag, booze and Sky subscriptions? They know I don't even have a television.
    I am no good at lying to people about stuff like this, and the excess still wouldn't cover paying someone to walk my dogs 2-3 times per week. A friend has offered to walk them 2-3 times per week too but for free.
    I just can't lift the despair. There isn't a way out. I just sit there with regrets running round and round and round.
    I am worn out now, there isn't enough of me left to deal with this. Thank you though. I don't know why I commented really, I am not really adding much to this thread. Sorry.

Firstly, Do not apologise as you are adding to this topic just as much as anyone else posting here.
    Secondly, I would take up your friends offer to walk the dogs for free. Better still look at it as you lending your dogs to your friend in order to help them get fitter!

Please know that the feelings of despair, regret, hopelessness, etc are all temporary you WILL feel better. Taking control of your debts like you already are is a big step towards making yourself feel happier. Yes you had a financial hiccup (like almost every other person you walk past on the street) but you are working towards bettering your situation. You should honestly feel proud for that achievement alone. Well done for taking that that first difficult step in admitting you need help and then asking for it.

I agree with RuthnJasper, check out StepChange. Even if you dont talk to them directly they have fantastic information on their website (including a section on debt and mental health)

GrinC - Contact whoever is running your DMP and ask if the debt can be added to your plan. The very worst they can say is "no" but I can't imagine there would be a problem.

RuthnJasper - Thanks for clarifying what I thought I knew :D

I am still unable to post links due to my newbieness but would like to highlight how common our feelings are.
    The Royal College of Psychiatrists have some rather eyeopening information on their website regarding debt and mental health.
    One in four adults will have a mental health problem at some point in their life.
    One in two adults with debts has a mental health problem.
    One in four people with a mental health problem is also in debt.
    Debt can cause - and be caused by - mental health problems. It's tempting to just not think about it – it can be uncomfortable and can make you feel guilty, depressed – or even hopeless. But sorting money problems out can help you to feel better – and to stay well.

Searching the internet for "Debt and mental health" provides a wealth of help and information (not including advertising results) I am really sorry I can't post links to make it easier to access the information.

Regardless of anything else I hope all on this thread (and those reading silently) get all the help they need and start to see that light at the end of that very dark tunnel soon. (And at the risk of sounding like a stuck record...) You are not alone!!!

Mam x
    DFD - 12/2016 with 6.7% paid as of 07/14
    £ saved = 168.16 lbs lost = 4
    Weekly Spend Challenge(7/9) £20/£0
    Sept GC - £78.11/£300 Sept NSD's = 4
    OS Weight Loss Challenge - 0lb/5lb
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    coinsflipside, have you tried the Bankruptcy, DRO and IVA board? People on there might be able to give you some tips in working out a budget - eg you might class dogwalker fees as entertainment or pets or sports.....or build a bit more into your food budget to cover pet expenses? And regarding creditors chasing you - not allowed full stop. Pass all correspondence on to your IVA company and put the phone down without comment if any of them ring. Stick with it, you'll get there.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    Thanks everyone

Sometimes It's not about magic solutions, just little changes to get back on the right track.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Fantastic thread! I'm sure many of us have been in very dark places when faced with a mountain of debt, I know that I was and at the time suicide did seem to be a way out but eventually I contacted Stepchange and the burden and weight of the debt were put into perspective.

There is an alternative and a solution for every situation, however dire it may seem at the time. I try to look at the positives in my situation and focus on those and with the help and advice of this forum, it gives me the strength to keep going.

Take care all
    Ellie xx
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Bump!

Fantastic thread :) hope everyone who needs to see it does see it.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport