Glide bills

Options
So we started a tenancy at a new property in July, and properly moved in, in September. We were advised to get our own bills sorted, so we opted for a bills company which split them for us (Fused Bills). We started paying this in August as we weren't there from July-August. This has been completely fine and we're still paying them now. However, on Oct 12th I was contacted personally by a company called Glide (they had my details only as i got the quote for the 5 person house). They said that we were with them
and we were on a flexi contract, which we didn't sign but has apparently rolled over from the previous year. They kept barraging with emails on the following weeks and have called and text me saying I owe them £91, today they have text me saying if this is not paid they will take legal action

Comments

• bloss0m
    bloss0m Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You might get a better response in energy forum on here

Energy
  • Rjr22
    Options
    Hi I live in a 5 bedroom student house and we are having problems with the company glide. So we started a tenancy at a new property in July, and properly moved in, in September. We were advised to get our own bills sorted, so we opted for a bills company which split them for us (Fused Bills). We started paying this in August as we weren't there from July-August. This has been completely fine and we're still paying them now. However, on Oct 12th I was contacted personally by a company called Glide (they had my details only as i got the quote for the 5 person house). They said that we were with them
    and we were on a flexi contract, which we didn't sign but has apparently rolled over from the previous year. They kept barraging with emails on the following weeks and have called and text me saying I owe them £91, today they have text me saying if this is not paid they will take legal action
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glide are not an energy supplier, what they do is charge a fortune to "administer" various bills and then split the cost between occupants and I believe they particularly target students.

If they are demanding payment for an energy bill, tell them you know they do not supply energy and have never cotracted them for their services. Do it in writing, both by email and post and see what they come back with.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 November 2017 at 7:19PM
    Options
    Rjr22 wrote: »
    Hi I live in a 5 bedroom student house and we are having problems with the company glide. So we started a tenancy at a new property in July, and properly moved in, in September. We were advised to get our own bills sorted, so we opted for a bills company which split them for us (Fused Bills). We started paying this in August as we weren't there from July-August. This has been completely fine and we're still paying them now. However, on Oct 12th I was contacted personally by a company called Glide (they had my details only as i got the quote for the 5 person house). They said that we were with them
    If you've just moved into your new home or taken responsibility for a property where the previous tenants used Glide, we are still the current energy provider for your home. ...
    https://glide.co.uk/previous-tenants

Time to get your suit cleaned and pressed in anticipation of explaining it all to the judge. ;)

Or get your money back from Fused Bills/Spark Energy and use that to pay the supplier what you owe :)
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Glide are not an energy supplier, ...

Correct, except...
    The Renewable Energy Company Limited (“Ecotricity”) are a licensed gas and electricity supplier, registered in England and Wales (Company No. 03043412 and VAT No. GB927334615) whose registered office and principal place of business is at Unicorn House, 7 Russell Street, Stroud, GL5 3AX.

Glide Utilities Limited (“Glide”) act on behalf of Ecotricity as their agent in relation to the supply of the gas and electricity, registered in England and Wales (Company No. 06194523 and VAT No. GB160731823) whose registered office and principal place of business is at Alpha Tower, Suffolk Street Queensway, Birmingham, B1 1TT.
    Glide is working as an agent of Ecotricity to supply you with gas and electricity under Ecotricity's gas and electricity supply licences. You will deal with and pay Glide under this contract.
    https://glide.co.uk/terms/energy
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 November 2017 at 7:45PM
    Options
    You would be liable for the bills from start of tenancy, not the date of occupation. So I suspect that this bill relates to standing charges and any usage from July to September (or to the date you switched, which could be into October)?
    You would have been in a deemed contract (not a 'rollover' contract) with the existing supplier until such time as you switched to the new supplier. If you are the only name on that account, then you are jointly and severally liable for the whole debt, not one fifth of it. No signature is necessary under a deemed contract.
    Pay the bill and recover what is owed from the other tenants: it's not worth trashing your credit record for 6 years for £91.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Rjr22 - welcome to the forum.

We sometimes move threads so they get a better response. I have moved your thread to the Energy board for this reason.

If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 November 2017 at 11:57AM
    Options
    It sounds like Glide were the existing energy supplier when you moved in?

(I'm not familiar with them but a quick google suggests they are a 'one stop shop' that supplies energy, telecoms etc.)

If that's the case, you were in what's known as a 'deemed contract'. If you didn't sign up with them first before switching to another energy supplier, they may take the supply back as an erroneous transfer.

https://glide.co.uk/previous-tenants

If that happens your new supplier will refund any money paid to them.

Or, is the problem that this fused bills company hasn't been passing on the money? Have you been paying any money towards energy?

Not sure how they got your details, did you ask them for a quote when moving in then go with another company?

Need more info for any better advice.

Edit: Is it possible the letting agent signed you up without asking? Something similar to this thread? http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5081303
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    Hi Rjr22 - welcome to the forum.

We sometimes move threads so they get a better response. I have moved your thread to the Energy board for this reason.

If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Following post#2. the OP created a thread here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5747237

It was responded to at the time :)
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Following post#2. the OP created a thread here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5747237

It was responded to at the time :)

Thanks footguy - I missed that.

I have now merged the threads.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family