PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

surrender. how to? :(

Options
surrender questions :(

Hi guys, its me again.

I was wondering if I could ask you guys about surrender?

basically im running very low on money. It looks like it just isnt going to work out for me

who should i talk to? is it best just to go into my letting agency and explain to them the situ?

or shall i just ring my ll?

im losing sleep and tbh finding the pressure almost unbarable.

ive noticed that similar places to mine go in less than a cpl of weeks, being in a sought after area of woking

will that help me?

is it a good time of year to plead clemency to the agent/ll? ( i dont mean becuase its near christmas, just how active is the market this time of year?)

kind regards and thankyou

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I assume you are in a fixed term?
    When does it end?
    Is there a 'Break Clause'? If not sure, read your contract.

Or is your tenancy periodic (monthly) ?

Who do you normally deal witth? Landlord or agent?
    Do you have the LL's address? Phone number? How often do you see/meet him and when?

In general I'd say the best approach is via
    * the landlord rather than the agent
    * initally direct (phone or face to face) rather than written

However obviously it depends on your circumstances above.

If you do get agreement for an Early Surrrender, make sure

* it is confirmed in writing
    * it is clear what the terms are especially the date it will be effective, an any costs you might have to pick up.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you talking about a tenancy?Are you still in a fixed period or has it gone on to a rolling tenancy?

Assuming that it is still within the first 6 months so you can't simply give notice, I'd suggest that you have an initial conversation with the letting agency to see whether the landlord would agree to an early surrender and if so, on what terms. I would normally expect them to want you to cover any costs or re-advertising so before you agree anything, do get clear agreement about exactly what you would be liable for.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • fly53
    fly53 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    thanks

my break clause earliest i can leave is 24th april
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 December 2017 at 2:13PM
    Options
    fly53 wrote: »
    thanks

my break clause earliest i can leave is 24th april
    so your only option is to ask the LL and hope he will be amenable to a "mutual surrender"

no one can possibly predict how your LL will react to that, but a normal LL should prefer to see the back of someone (on acceptable terms) who may get into arrears, than carry on with someone who could end up costing the LL a lot in court action to evict and chase arrears

You won't know until you try, but as above make sure anything "agreed" is done so in writing and you are very clear on what it will cost you in terms of the fees the LL is probably going to say you must cover in return for his agreement to you ending your tenancy before you contractually are entitled to do so
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well that answers one question!
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To look at it another way................why are you running low on money? Presumably you were checked to see that you could afford the rent?

Rent is a priority bill.

Is there any advice we can give with your financial situation - for example, are you eligible for any benefit help?
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ^ ^
    This! If you give up the tenancy where will you go? Better to sort out the money and see whether you are entitled to some form of assistance.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This comment is going to be solely on assumption due to the lack of info;

Quite often a break clause it about 6 months in to a 12 month (or more) tenancy (not always). If this is the case did you only take the tenancy in October?

What has changed between now and then (6 weeks)?
  • cjmillsnun
    Options
    I understand that Woking is expensive to rent. I used to have a friend in Woking who used to pay £700 pcm for a 1 bed house. I was paying £750 pcm for a large semi in Petersfield.

I don’t know your situation however you’re are you claiming all the benefits you are entitled to?
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a LL I would much rather you phone me and explain the situation. I would come to an arrangement where you could leave and I would relet.

No LL wants/needs a tenant who is likely to go into arrears and be having a tough time.

Try talking to the LL. I would go straight to the LL rather than the letting agency.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure