Natural Burial

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sure I could find you a baby oak, SDW. Our large oak drops acorns which sprout if I've not found them.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    Having just helped to arrange my fathers funeral I was absolutely staggered at the cost. The best thing anyone can do is to ensure that the people left behind have a way of paying for everything.

Or pay for it yourself :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I think funerals are for the living so I've told my family to do whatever takes their fancy. It won't make much difference to me.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I'm sure I could find you a baby oak, SDW. Our large oak drops acorns which sprout if I've not found them.

Our static holiday home at Aberdunant is sited under a large oak tree, it drops leaves, twigs and acorns all over the decking and we have to pull the seedlings up out of the garden. I will ask if we can plant an acorn before the time comes :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If we'd stayed on the IOW we'd have had woodland burial like SDW. As it is, I've my husband's ashes in his bedside cupboard waiting for me to make a decision.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    mumps wrote: »
    I think funerals are for the living so I've told my family to do whatever takes their fancy. It won't make much difference to me.

I can see this way of doing things too; however, we don't want to leave our son to organise it, organisation has never been his strong point and we don't want to make him anxious at such a sad (hopefully!) time.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mumps wrote: »

I totally agree. Paying for it yourself is one thing but I really dislike this modern idea of choosing your own music, readings etc - I think lots of people will regret it if their loved one's gone down that route.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 September 2016 at 9:15PM
    Options
    If we'd stayed on the IOW we'd have had woodland burial like SDW. As it is, I've my husband's ashes in his bedside cupboard waiting for me to make a decision.

oh, how sad, what do you think you will do missb? At our burial site you can bury cremated remains. Would you like to do that at one near you?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 September 2016 at 9:14PM
    Options
    I totally agree. Paying for it yourself is one thing but I really dislike this modern idea of choosing your own music, readings etc - I think lots of people will regret it if their loved one's gone down that route.

Our friend who died two years ago of a brain tumour found great comfort in his last weeks of choosing his hymns and readings, and deciding who he wanted to do them. He asked my husband and his friend to do three songs. They were happy to carry out his wishes.

These are the words to one of them. Beautiful. Made me cry.

http://www.grahamkendrick.co.uk/songs/item/331-in-your-way

It's such a personal thing. Everyone must do what they feel to be best.

If (God forbid), my husband goes before me, I am going to have 'Here Comes The Sun' by the Beatles, at his funeral. He loves the sun, his depression lifts every spring when the sun returns and both of us believe he will be going into the Sun that is eternal life.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh, how sad, what do you think you will do missb? At our burial site you can bury cremated remains. Would you like to do that at one near you?

It is a shame but it does at least give me time to think and doesn't tie me to staying in this area which I might have felt I needed to do otherwise.

I was initially going to do the scattering them in various places with meaning thing (there is a name for it but I can't remember:o) and then went off it. I suppose the thing is, if you've still got them, all choices are open to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure