Selling your soul to the devil

Options

Comments

• stevenJcarroll
    Options
    I saw one this morning to win a spongecake, tell us why you should win. "it's a spongecake" I have absolutely no idea. I actually spent two minutes thinking of what to say. In the end I decided not to bother entering.

I really enjoy entering competitions, I wouldn't say anything that wasn't true to win competitions. Some of the things people say absolutely astound me. I would agree just to do what the competition requires e.g. Question like or share and that's all I do and if that means I don't win then so be it. Perhaps, I should stop entering FB competitions? as I find some of the comments upsetting.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Most the time it's random anyway so I'll just say something like 'because I want to' or 'not gonna share my life's supply of heartache in order to win a cake, so I think I should win because I like cake. Simple as... :)'

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Skilos
    Skilos Posts: 1,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    cagsd wrote: »
    if it says "what's the capital of France?" I will make sure I only put "Paris" even though 99% of answers will be "The capital of France is Paris[...]"

When I see full sentences like that rather than just the required one-word answer, it puts me in mind of a schoolchild trying to impress their teacher.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cagsd wrote: »
    These do my nut in. On many FB comps that I comment on, it looks like I'm literally the ONLY person who just gives the answer asked for - I stick to this on principle! Eg. if it says "what's the capital of France?" I will make sure I only put "Paris" even though 99% of answers will be "The capital of France is Paris, Thank you so much for a fantastic competition, such a generous prize, fingers tightly crossed, happily sharing away, you never know...." etc etc.
    I can't abide it and I really wish competition providers would disqualify people who don't just give the answer! ;)
    I really enjoy entering competitions, I wouldn't say anything that wasn't true to win competitions. Some of the things people say absolutely astound me. I would agree just to do what the competition requires e.g. Question like or share and that's all I do and if that means I don't win then so be it. Perhaps, I should stop entering FB competitions? as I find some of the comments upsetting.

I thought I was the only one who just put the answer in the comments. so that makes 2 of us :D TBH, I think that just the answer makes my post stand out more without the fluff.

I'll be honest with the FB comps, I used to do lots of them, and then it did start getting a bit too much with the comments. Also, I think that there is a bit of jealously sometimes with people winning (I think that some folk think that it's their right to win all the time on there and they don't like it when someone else wins) That's not what it's about, there's no need for it, & nobody should be grudged a win, unless there has been cheating going on.
    I now do more Twitter comps, because it's a case of 'RT'd, like, maybe do the #freebiefriday thingy' and that's it. One of the best things about 140 characters is that you can't pad it out.
    I did mention it on another thread, but someone on FB was going mad because someone was copying their 'WOW great prize', etc, etc, etc and when you looked at it, it was just complete nonsense. I still say that anybody padding out their posts with stuff like that should be DQ'd - or even better, whoever is running the comp uses a form that everybody completes if they want to enter. It might make it a lot fairer, and everybody entering the comp is on a level playing field.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • ChamomileTao
    Options
    Just last night I was nauseated by someone trying to win something with a butterfly motif by saying she always thought of her dead sister in law who had died at 32 as a butterfly etc etc.

I am another one word person. If the question is what is two plus two my answer is four, not what a splendid number four is and how it reminds me of my dead cocker spaniel who had four beautiful puppies and died rescuing a baby from a flood.
  • hdh74
    hdh74 Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I try and comment without looking but all those emojis and OMGs do leap out at me no matter how hard I try - cringe.
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • lisylou21
    lisylou21 Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today I've been someone trying to win pizza saying it would cheer her up after being attacked, along with a picture of a cut eyebrow and a tear rolling down her face
  • BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    lisylou21 wrote: »
    Today I've been someone trying to win pizza saying it would cheer her up after being attacked, along with a picture of a cut eyebrow and a tear rolling down her face

:rotfl: Maybe I should splat some tomato ketchup on my face and try to win a pizza using the photo! I quite fancy a Margarita with my glass of wine right now! :rotfl:
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • I-Owe-You
    I-Owe-You Posts: 497 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "Liking and sharing on my blog page!"

EFF OFF!! I find this so manipulative, in other words: "Pick me because i'm (apparently) sharing with more people than others, in turn giving you free advertising...ARGHHHHH!!

I also HATE the self proclaimed comping queens making dollar from dolling out advice (thats free on here anyway).
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lisylou21 wrote: »

That's a new one. If that's happened then I feel sorry for them, but......... putting on a picture just to win a pizza?!?!?!

It's starting to warm up for Christmas isn't it? Just told DH about this thread - he's hurt his neck, shaking his head too much :D
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport