PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mar, any sign of the sun yet? Maybe we could make one by taking a bunch of yellow jelly babies and smashing them together into a ball. If it failed to provide much needed warmth you could just eat it.x
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FPk I've never heard of winnaberries but I hope you'll enjoy the pie. Just had a thought, do you mean whinberries? I have heard of those. :):D at circular lawnmowing!

We need to do some food shopping today - I really don't don't what to get. OH is very easy-going with regard to meals and will eat whatever I give him provided it doesn't involve offal, but it would be really nice if just sometimes he said "What I'd really like for dinner is...." :(
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Ivy, a quick google says I do mean whinberries, you're right. I've heard of bilberries but never eaten them--apparently they're the same!

Tell your OH this week's menus are request stops only--you'll only cook if he makes a request! Might not work but worth a shot! I know it can be exhausting coming up with them day in and day out.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    ivyleaf My mum used moan about my dad always saying what ever you want, My first husband used to say what ever you like love. I should have said we'll have salmon then, he hated salmon.

DS always says what ever you want and if I push it he will say well what have you got? They aren't much good are they.

We are having central heating. I have been wishing for that ever since we moved in. I could not believe it when I got a phone call last night from the housing association. The gas people are bringing in gas to the building next month so they decided as we all have decrepit storage radiators they may as well put in gas central heating for everyone that wants it.

I told her I thought everyone will want it as the storage radiators are not very efficient and cost a lot more than gas. I have a surveyor coming on Wednesday.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    FPK if you are at the bottom of the Pennines, there should be local places for bilberry picking - blessedly small things that turn your fingers blue but make a very colourful pie with apple!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Oh Floss you've gotten my attention! Since moving I won't have any strawberries for jam this year. I've scouted some blackberries for when they're ready, although I'm not sure if foraging is permitted so have to look into it. Bilberries would make a great jam. Do you know of anywhere specific, either where foraging is allowed or pick your own? I'm more than happy to rope OH into driving (and helping to pick!) if necessary.

I did look into pick your own places for strawberries but it was cheaper to buy them in the SM and cheaper still to just buy the jam. I'll get my jam making fix somehow.
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Nursemaggie, that is fantastic news! I imagine it may also help get washing dry as you could get some over the rad airers now?
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    Yes FPK except I took the rad airers to a cs when we moved here. I had four, they were just more clutter.
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Oh how annoying Nursemaggie! I got rid of two when we moved for the same reason, if I had known I would have saved them for you!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Oh Floss you've gotten my attention! Since moving I won't have any strawberries for jam this year. I've scouted some blackberries for when they're ready, although I'm not sure if foraging is permitted so have to look into it. Bilberries would make a great jam. Do you know of anywhere specific, either where foraging is allowed or pick your own? I'm more than happy to rope OH into driving (and helping to pick!) if necessary.

As kids we used to go up around Dovestones reservoir, up the hills above our village (we lived in Saddleworth) and dad would take us to a spot above Scammonden reservoir beside the M62 on the way to Huddersfield. More recently I've seen them around Hollingworth Lake, along the Roman road up to Blackstone Edge (http://www.theaa.com/walks/ways-on-blackstone-edge-420713) and up towards Rivington Pike.
    I did look into pick your own places for strawberries but it was cheaper to buy them in the SM and cheaper still to just buy the jam. I'll get my jam making fix somehow.

Why not put some strawberry plants into your new garden? They send babies out every year that can be planted out, so no need to worry about leaving them when you eventually move to your own home. I would guess that we've had around 8-9 kg from ours this year, 5kg went straight into wine, another 2kg+ is in the freezer for jamming, and DH has eaten the rest on his breakfast muesli!. Another plant to think about is rhubarb - again, it can be split after a couple of years to make new plants - and rhubarb & ginger jam is scrummy!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills