PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

It has been a whirlwind few days, but I think things will slow day again in a day or so. Not even sure what is for tea tonight, OH is cooking. I'll have to grab a sandwich either in work or on the train for my lunch. Not idea--I don't enjoy pre-made sandwiches and they cost a fortune, but my plan, cold spanikopita from Sunday night's tea with some salad got eaten last night as an emergency tea when we got home later than expected.

The weather is dull, gray and chilly here, perhaps the sun has finally gone to visit Mar? The BBC has rain predicted for every single hour of the day :(

Hugs to all who need them.x
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's cloudy here, but not raining yet. I'm just relieved that it's a bit cooler than it has been!

I was a bit sad on Sunday because my lovely comfy summer shoes had to go in the bin when their soles started disintegrating :( They were Ecco lace-ups, very soft cream leather, bought in a Sale at the Ecco shop when we were on a short break in Antwerp ten years ago, so they've done very well, but I shall miss them!
    I found some in the Clarks online sale that might do but they are out of stock in my combination of size and width. I expect our local branch will have their sale on too, so I'll go down and have a look later, you never know!

ETA Welcome to HollyHarvey :)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    FPk it's been raining here all morning (comme toujours!) but has just gone off. Bits of blue sky now ... :j:j:j
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    Still raining here has been since late last night.

Really sick of all the building work going on here. Why does everything no matter what is being done it sound as if it is in my bedroom. I'm slowly going deaf.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mardatha - clue to your strawberries maybe that they're Alpine?? When my boys were small we had a bed of them - just the right size for little mouths!
    I was given two small blueberry bushes a couple of years ago - very easy to keep (in tubs) and heavy croppers - where we've had good weather I've been picking them twice a day sometimes!
    NM - at least the building work is going on during the summer so you should be nice and warm for the winter and have lower heating bills. Any chance you could get out for a bit while the work is going on?
    Ivy - hope you find some suitable shoes - comfy ones are like old friends ;)
    Supposed to be rain here today - but apart from a couple of light showers nothing to speak of - my garden is desperate!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • ivyleaf
    edited 11 July 2017 at 8:00PM
    Options
    Still raining here has been since late last night.

Really sick of all the building work going on here. Why does everything no matter what is being done it sound as if it is in my bedroom. I'm slowly going deaf.

Oh poor nursemaggie, I really empathise as I thought I was going to go nuts when the new houses over the road were being built xx
    In one flat we lived in in Germany, each block was joined to the next at some point (like a giant version of link-detached houses) so when anyone anywhere used an electric drill, it sounded as if it was in our flat.

Silvasava - Thank you :) i keep wondering how monnagran's doing. Have you heard from her at all?
  • silvasava
    Options
    Ivy - I was hoping to go across to see her the middle of last week but it didn't come off as my son couldn't crew for me - he's self employed so work comes first! When I sent her a text she was hoping to be back on line this weekend but obviously it hasn't happened yet. She said she's loving having the house to herself though! I'll send her a message & let her know we miss her!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • ivyleaf
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Ivy - I was hoping to go across to see her the middle of last week but it didn't come off as my son couldn't crew for me - he's self employed so work comes first! When I sent her a text she was hoping to be back on line this weekend but obviously it hasn't happened yet. She said she's loving having the house to herself though! I'll send her a message & let her know we miss her!

Oh bless her, I'm so glad she's enjoying the peace and quiet. It will be lovely when we can have her back :)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, Hello there.

Thank you for thinking of me Ivyleaf. I had everything set up on Saturday but was held up by waiting for my phones to be delivered. Although I missed you all it was strangely restful to be incommunicado.

I am alone at last! Although the moving process was beyond chaotic and is still going on. I have never known anyone moving without packing first, just bundling things into bin bags as and when needed. However the bulk of stuff has disappeared and it maybe another week or two before it is all completely cleared, but still, there are now tidy patches instead of mountains of detritus. Getting there.

I have been vastly amused by the hair removing stories. Nice to know that I am not the only one to be thoughtfully stroking my chin in elegant company and finding that I am lovingly stroking an extremely long hair that was almost certainly not there a minute ago.
    As for legs!!! Years ago when I spent 6 weeks with my leg in plaster, I joked with the nurse who was removing it, (plaster, not leg) about deforestation. She remarked that everyone said that. However, when my leg was finally exposed in all its glory, she said in tones of awe and wonder, "My goodness! You could plait that hair, couldn't you?"
    Why on earth I was blessed with thick, luxuriant growth everywhere on my body except my head, I can't say.
    My guardian Angel was obviously not only drunk but dyslexic as well. She didn't have a clue about what was supposed to go where.

Oh Ivyleaf. Your poor shoes. I know what it's like to spend ages bashing a pair of shoes into (or out of) shape, enjoy the comfort of them for ages and finally have to ditch them. It's worse than parting with an old and treasured friend.

Well, it rained all day yesterday and doesn't look too good so far this morning. However, (cover your eyes Mar) I find it a relief. I don't do heat very well .

Now, a whole day to myself. What shall I do? Decisions. Decisions.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • silvasava
    Options
    Lovely to 'see' you back Monna - grey here too but forecast to brighten up this afternoon. Garden has gratefully soaked up the rain - you can almost see the plants breathe a sigh of relief!
    I'm with you all on the stray eyebrows that find their way to my chin! Tried using my epilator a couple of times - ouch ouch ouch - gone back to tweezers and a 10x magnifying mirror!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure