PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    heating is on and how! Been on constantly after I got info about the freezer conditions, maybe 2 weeks ago. Another electric thermostatic heater is turned on today, now have 4 thermostatic heaters on and 2 lakeland towel warmers. Pellet stove normally but euro shortage of pellets. Aim was to keep the house fabric warm, which gives me a safety net in case of power cuts. I am ok with the cost because the house is the best insulated a house can be, once it is warm then it only uses a little energy input to maintain
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Ours is always on 24/7. The thermostat decides when the furnace ignites!

As I went out last night, went past rented house, same build as mine, where girl in kitchen had coat on, and the paper bin was full of delivery pizzas!

I don!!!8217;t think you!!!8217;ll get much heat from burning the cardbored! But you could have another £10 a week for the gas if you missed out on paying for cheese on toast!
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ours is on too, a rare day when we have the central heating on all day, as there is underfloor in the living area. I hate doing it though. Have had the logburner going as well.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's been warm this week and I haven't had the GCH on since last Saturday!

:beer:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I have given serious thought to switching on my CH / at least making a HWB for the last 5 nights. This evening I got up and dug out a jumper :o

Switching the heating on in August is just plain wrong (unless it needs to be tested!). We have another 19 weeks left of the year - and at least 40 until it heats up again! - and I am dreading it getting any cooler. Brrr...
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I have given serious thought to switching on my CH / at least making a HWB for the last 5 nights. This evening I got up and dug out a jumper :o

Switching the heating on in August is just plain wrong (unless it needs to be tested!). We have another 19 weeks left of the year - and at least 40 until it heats up again! - and I am dreading it getting any cooler. Brrr...
    You are not alone, it has been so wet and damp here that it makes the house feel chilly even if it isn't really that cold. I reckon that unless the weather picks back up that it will be going on for a hour in the evening as it is getting to the point where layers aren't cutting it for me. I've also noticed the bathroom chilly in the morning so popping it on am for 20 mins isn't far off. I do try to not use it before mid-September but also refuse to be cold if I know I'm more than adequately dressed. Financially I plan to have some heating usage between September and the end of May but with it being so warm in April & May I'll not be devastated if I give in a switch it on.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No definitely not but definitely considering putting the heated blanket on the bed tomorrow. DH works away in the week and I think it’ll get chilly on my own!
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ideally I'd be well into October before my heating goes on!

I was a bit chilly mid-afternoon here, so I just put a jumper on. :)
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Emmel
    Emmel Posts: 122 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ours is off. Its still so warm in our house. But as soon as the cold sets in, it will be on. We always have it on 24/7 in winter and set the thermostat to wherever we feel is comfortable, whacking it up if its really cold for a few hours. I dont like to sit in layers, However I do like a blanket on the sofa if its chilly and nearly bedtime.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Ours is off, but it is definitely more chilly than it was.

I did switch from just a sheet to a satin comforter on the bed yesterday. I had to put it in the washing machine first as it was a bit musty as haven't used it for months!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback