Roundabout advice

Options

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You were to the right of a LHD vehicle on a roundabout? Always a risky place to be.

Take some defensive driving lessons.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    Someone else had a similar accident to this. They apparantly got a full payout in thier favour in record time (i'm still very skeptical about it all)

My personal opinion is you are both are fault somewhat.
    Truck for being in the wrong lane and you for pulling off the roundabout without checking it was clear to do so.

It's in your insurers hands now.
    If the lorry clipped the OP at the nearside rear I can't see how the OP was contributing to the accident.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just to be on the safe side I never go onto a roundabout beside anything big, especially an articulated lorry. Get round first or wait a second, not all HGV drivers are as good as I was.;)
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    If the lorry clipped the OP at the nearside rear I can't see how the OP was contributing to the accident.

Drove across the front of the lorry to exit the roundabout whilst the lorry was continuing around?
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    FWIW I am always very wary of HGVs (esp artics) when approaching, at, and especially on roundabouts, always giving them a very wide berth. If I'm approaching to enter a roundabout and there's an HGV ahead of me (either on my inside or outside) I pull up behind them and wait for them to get on with it and get onto the roundabout, even if I could squeeze past them. And I never go around a roundabout side by side or level with one. I try to keep them well ahead of me, even if I have to drive much slower than I usually would.

Especially with artics on smaller roundabouts, they sometimes have to be positioned much further to the left turning right than a car or van would be.

(PS - don't know if it was an artic in this case, but most of the Polish HGVs I see round here are,)
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2017 at 6:03PM
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Just to be on the safe side I never go onto a roundabout beside anything big, especially an articulated lorry. Get round first or wait a second, not all HGV drivers are as good as I was.;)

Yes.

Sorry EssexExile, I posted my comment before reading yours.

(Edit: Apologies to both façade and forgotmyname too. I posted a comment before reading all the preceding ones!)
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2017 at 6:33PM
    Options
    HGVs need a lot of room and if for example they're going 180 at a roundabout they normally sit in the middle of the two lanes, but drivers sometimes take this as them being incompetent and try to charge up the side of them to prove a point, only to find the front of their car getting squashed.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately it's not as clear cut as saying the lorry was in the wrong lane.

Section 187 of the highway code states

"long vehicles (including those towing trailers). These might have to take a different course or straddle lanes either approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals."

Hgv's often have no choice but to go all the way around in the left lane and as long as they signal they are allowed to do so. This is why drivers are, or should be taught not to pass lorrys on roundabouts and to hold back and give the space.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Retrogamer,
    However, wouldn't the same dilemma apply to any given accident?
    Since we cannot control what other people are going to do the same could be said if someone pulled out in front of you on a junction.... The insurance could say that you didn't anticipate the mistake third party was just about to make.

If the roundabout was clear to exit, only a glance at the mirrors / side window is usually needed to see if it's clear, before just assuming it will be and turning off to exit. If it's not clear to exit, adjust speed, take another exit or do another lap of the roundabout.

Truck was in the wrong lane from the sounds of things but you also exited the roundabout when it wasn't safe to do so.

My opinion or yours though are only that and the insurance companies will determine how they want to settle liability.
    As Retrogamer says, there was a case much like yours on here last month:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5610202

I'm very sceptical of that case unless the other party admitted 100% liability.
    Normally straight forward insurance claims where liability is not disputed and blame is clear cut, it takes weeks if not months for it all to be settled and paid.

The above one was apparently disputed yet settled in record breaking time. Possible, but unlikely.
    neilmcl wrote: »

By driving across the lorry's path when attempting to exit the roundabout
    All your base are belong to us.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure