PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast – 7 days no spending (at all)

Options

Comments

• Matody
    Matody Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just posting now, as this is what I intend to do when my ex moves out next month (finally, probably the longest 9 months of my life and I have two kids)...

So will start to read through the thread, for tips/advice etc..

I currently shop most days and don't like it, I rarely food plan past tomorrow... which isn't really me as I like to be organised, looking forward to doing things my way!
    Grocery Challenge - Aug 407.97/£320 - NSD 3/5
    September 195.19 / 300

Konmarie my house along side being a flylady!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good Morning chums I am away on my holidays at the moment but will be back at the end of the month and will need a fresh food stock up when I get home and I am hoping that it will get me through for two weeks at least until my mid September weekend break.

Not buying much food at the moment as DD is doing the shopping (I pay for the holiday house rent )although I did nip into M&S and got some super english strawberries yesterday that we had as part of our fruit sald pudding last night
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi - I'm back on the fast for this week, I've spent too much money while off on school holidays with the little man and I need to rein it in a bit.

I have a planned spend day on Thursday but it will be minimal - packed lunch ingredients and then 50p to join a treasure hunt in our local park. Apart from that I hope to not spend until we go to Spain on Sunday morning! We need to eat all the fresh stuff in the fridge before we go so I'm hoping that will mean no food shopping.

Good luck all xx
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello All,

I am back on the fiscal fast, needs must!

I have joined the grocery challenge and Mend, Make do threads. Also, will join the meal planning thread as this is my nemesis.

Biggest challenge this month is to stop unnecessary spending on books and wool. I have started a Monthly Expenditure book and it is quite eye opening when you see figures written down, rather than trying to do mental arithmetic.

Must go as dinner is ready.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • peony40
    Options
    Day 2 of the Fiscal Fast. I do need to pay for the annual boiler service today, but this is from planned expenditure.

I have been busy working on my weekly grocery internet shop, trying to maximise every penny. Hubby is watching the Ryder Cup this weekend on tv so there are a few treats such as cider and chipsticks for him! After this though, no more until christmas ... thankfully, he is on board with this.

No more expenditure should be needed until my nephews' birthdays but I have my gift fund for these.

By not looking at crochet sites on facebook I have not been tempted to buy wool. I have plenty in already, more than enough for 4 blankets!
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Day 1 of my newest Fiscal Fast today. I get paid tomorrow and have £70 'happy cash' (as JackieO would say!) and just over £100 in the food budget to last me until 22nd October. We go on holiday on the 23rd so I'm hoping to use up what we have in the fridge towards the end of my pay as there's no point buying anything new then.

I'm off on a mystery dine tonight so will need to spend on that but fingers crossed it will get reimbursed :)
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • nannygladys
    Options
    Hi everyone

I get paid tomorrow and have a fair amount of food in the cupboards and freezer, so to get rid of some of it I will join in with you if I may for a week to see how I get on.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - 
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello Lilian and NG, it's nice to have others here.

Lilian, I like the idea of 'happy cash', I just need to work out an amount. Money is very tight at the moment, and as hubby's job is precarious I am loathe to spend anything on unnecessaries, but I do believe a balance is needed. I will have a think ......

NG, I have a full freezer and cupboards, so I am trying to use it up, especially the freezer as I want to defrost it before christmas. However, I am finding it hard to use it up and my wanting to have a stocked up pantry for winter. At the moment I am buying a tin or two extra and putting them by.

I did have one expenditure, I bought some vegetable stay fresh bags as I could not get through the veg quickly enough.

Apart from this, no more expenditure is planned on incidentals, I am going to give a fiscal fast for October my very best effort.

Good Luck all.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    peony40 wrote: »
    Hello Lilian and NG, it's nice to have others here.

Lilian, I like the idea of 'happy cash', I just need to work out an amount. Money is very tight at the moment, and as hubby's job is precarious I am loathe to spend anything on unnecessaries, but I do believe a balance is needed. I will have a think ......

NG, I have a full freezer and cupboards, so I am trying to use it up, especially the freezer as I want to defrost it before christmas. However, I am finding it hard to use it up and my wanting to have a stocked up pantry for winter. At the moment I am buying a tin or two extra and putting them by.

I did have one expenditure, I bought some vegetable stay fresh bags as I could not get through the veg quickly enough.

Apart from this, no more expenditure is planned on incidentals, I am going to give a fiscal fast for October my very best effort.

Good Luck all.

I tend to have about £80 pm for whatever I want to spend it on. I spend almost nothing (or so it seems to me!) but it always goes! This month it is going towards a few get together's with friends - meal out for a friend's birthday, meeting a friend for drinks, going to a spa with my bff, meeting up with my sil after work for a glass of wine and a catch up. The rest (!) has been small incidentals
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    I'm going to join in for the next week - although meeting sil on Monday but that will only be 1 drink. Will need to get a couple of loaves of bread and some milk but other than that don't need anything else in the next week!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills