Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card

Options

Comments

• minhp
    minhp Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I asked Barclaycard bluntly via making complaint route about the £50 credit. A CS representative called me and literally sworn on his own life that not a single customer with Barclaycard Amex was given £50 credit. So I left it and closed the complaint.

The annoying bit to me was that not all Barclaycard Amex migrated at same time with some still have until September afaik.

It seems like Amex is trying to cut all ties and having customers directly with them so they don't have to share the cut with other issuers.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm still waiting on my replacement card. I switched the majority of spending to a new Amex Costco card a month ago - for some reason I got £50 welcome reward on it (I never saw this advertised), and have found my spend at the cafe and coffee shops in the office at work get the 3% cashback rate.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,481 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    minhp wrote: »
    It seems like Amex is trying to cut all ties and having customers directly with them so they don't have to share the cut with other issuers.
    Amex aren't able to charge retailers more than 0.3% unless the card is issued directly by them (with no partner branding) or the card is intended for business use only, thanks to the interchange cap.

Mastercard/Visa are also capped at 0.3%.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2017 at 9:15AM
    Options
    WillPS wrote: »
    Amex aren't able to charge retailers more than 0.3% unless the card is issued directly by them (with no partner branding) or the card is intended for business use only, thanks to the interchange cap.

Mastercard/Visa are also capped at 0.3%.

the cap is 0.9% on Direct AMEX until 2019.

Additionally as a retailer I pay 1.8% to accept Amex via my card acquiring partner Worldpay. Visa and MasterCard cost me 1.3%. The difference is the profit by the acquiring providers. Paypal typically charge 2.1%. Izettle 1.75%.

SOURCE: http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/12/18/american-express-interchange-fees-cut-earlier-than-planned/
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,481 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 17 July 2017 at 9:48AM
    Options
    the cap is 0.9% on Direct AMEX until 2019.

Additionally as a retailer I pay 1.8% to accept Amex via my card acquiring partner Worldpay. Visa and MasterCard cost me 1.3%. The difference is the profit by the acquiring providers. Paypal typically charge 2.1%. Izettle 1.75%.

SOURCE: http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/12/18/american-express-interchange-fees-cut-earlier-than-planned/

Not sure where you're getting 0.9% from - transactions which use Amex-issued Amex cards (which do include any other branding) are not subject to any EU-mandated cap as the article you linked to states.

What has changed is that "co-branded" cards - which Amex issue on behalf of a brand partner (BA, Costco, Nectar, Harrods) are now set to be included in the standard 0.3% cap - http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/07/14/amex-loses-eu-court-appeal-on-ba-amex-interchange-fees-what-now-for-the-card/

In any case, Amex licensed cards (MBNA, TSB, Lloyds, Barclaycard) have been included in the 0.3% cap from the moment it began in the UK.

As you indicate - the only group have benefited so far have been the merchant service providers.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Got a text from Barlcaycard that my new card will be with me within the week. Same issue as grumpyoldwoman earlier in the thread; purchases on the old Visa card are not showing (my online account seems to have been converted over).
  • zcaprd7
    zcaprd7 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Options
    Very annoying, went with this message to them, lets see what they say:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was extremely disappointed to hear that you intend to lower the cashback amount you will offer on your joint credit cards (not to mention the hassle of reissuing them again).

The main reason I use your services (and Egg before that) was the cashback offer, and if you insist on removing it, I will have no choice but to apply for an Amex everyday card (and perhaps an Asda credit card) and use those instead.

However, I would rather avoid a pair of unnecessary credit searches on my history, and the hassle of two applications, so if you are willing to offer me £50 as a gesture of goodwill, to make up for the shortfall in my cashback, it will be enough to convince me to remain as your loyal customer.

Sincerely,
  • grumpyoldwoman
    Options
    miller wrote: »
    Got a text from Barlcaycard that my new card will be with me within the week. Same issue as grumpyoldwoman earlier in the thread; purchases on the old Visa card are not showing (my online account seems to have been converted over).

I received my new card last Saturday. The purchases on my old card are now showing on my online account. In the transactions list the purchases on the old cards have a little credit card icon beside them and hovering over it it says that it was purchased on a card that has now been cancelled. I can't see any cashback amounts for those purchases though. If they don't appear on my next statement I'll have to send them a secure message asking where it is.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I received my new card last Saturday. The purchases on my old card are now showing on my online account. In the transactions list the purchases on the old cards have a little credit card icon beside them and hovering over it it says that it was purchased on a card that has now been cancelled. I can't see any cashback amounts for those purchases though. If they don't appear on my next statement I'll have to send them a secure message asking where it is.

When they worked out the final cashback for the last statement it appeared as if there was some manual intervention (with erroneous amounts being reported on here). It wouldn't surprise me if they had to do the same the following month (and hopefully not get it wrong).
  • grumpyoldwoman
    Options
    Has anyone else had a problem with direct debits not being taken since changing the account to the new Visa only card? My direct debit should have been taken yesterday but hasn't been taken. I've checked with my bank and the new direct debit for the new card has been set up properly. Also, on the summary page of my Barclaycard account, the payment box usually says the payment is being processed but today that box is blank. My next statement is supposed to be generated on 3rd so I hope they aren't going to treat this as a missed payment and slap a penalty on me. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure