PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

Options

Comments

• freudianslip
    freudianslip Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Morning saveabob. It must be difficult when you have friends who it all effects. Proactive is the way I suppose but it has it's down side. I'm frantically makng stuff, reading how to do things to the point of obsession.

I always waffle on about me controlling things well this is how I'm coping. We still owe money from the gas last winter, I'm scared that it won't be cleared in time for the next round and get further and further into debt with them. There said it. I would love to have a prepayment meter - it's the control element again, but I know it would cost more in the long run. Maybe they will insist on this anyway.

I'm trying another batch of yoghurt, I forgot to heat the mixture up in the first place, it was destined to failure all along. Thanks for the tip about the cool bag. we have some lunch bag cool bags that would be fab, especially in the winter.

I've not watched the news yet, It was tipped yesterday that the hosepipe bans would come into force in the south east, have they?

I'm going to watch the programme about the poor kids on iplayer when little one has her nap. I will probably get very annoyed but hey, adds fuel to the 'I will survive mentality' I'm dreading winter. Not a good day for me today. Like you saveabob, need to switch off from it all I suppose and just think about living.
  • saveabobortwo
    Options
    i really wish i could be like someone without a care in the world i see some people chilled out in the supermarket not a worry in sight .Maybe its because we can see what might happen if prices keep rising where as other people have the attitude they feed their family today so why worry about it. im afraid im me though a worry guts through and through. im always juggling bills whats that saying feed peter to pay or something:rotfl:iv always had to sort it out i want to know where my degree is in household Economics because i think i deserve one. go and have a nice cuppa im going to tea and biscuits lovely bye from saveabobxx
  • thriftymoo
    thriftymoo Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone can think of anything around the house I could use as a frame for peas and beans? I have quite a lot planted, but I'm skint this month so i'm trying to find an alternative to buying stuff :)
    Aug £10 a day £0/£1000
  • LittleBrownFrog
    Options
    Hope this helps someone, sorry if it's duplicating other posts.

We have the Easi-yo yoghurt maker. I don't use the sachets or heat anything at all.
    • 1 tablespoon yoghurt (either buy from the supermarket or save from your last batch - if buying, I find yeo valley natural yoghurt is good)
    • Put the yoghurt in the cannister & top up with UHT milk (we use Moo).
    • Put the lid on.
    • Fill the easi-yo 'flask' to the marked line with boiling water (in winter, I put a bit more hot water in than recommended, to help keep the temp up a bit longer)
    • Put the cannister in, lid on the flask, leave overnight (actually, I find it better if I leave it for a night and a day)
    We haven't yet had a batch that failed to 'yog'

If you want thicker greek-style yoghurt, you can strain it through a muslin or a reusable coffee filter (the latter is much easier to clean) (save the whey that strains out, use it in bread, or curry or anything really - v nutritious).
  • r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    :think: - well I shall say no more than there was a comment from the leader of a foraging walk I went on to the effect that someone with really bad arthritis down one side accidentally fell into a patch of nettles and spent rather a long period of time after the incident free from pain. So - maybe you pays your money and you takes your choice....though personally I'd hold my nose firmly and try experimenting with nettle tea (where's a stick fingers down throat smilie when one needs one?:rotfl:).

It might be worth your while googling for "arthritis + nettles" and see what comes up and 'tis your choice what to do about it...

Nettle tea is quite "nice" - I like it mixed with peppermint :)
  • redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone can think of anything around the house I could use as a frame for peas and beans? I have quite a lot planted, but I'm skint this month so i'm trying to find an alternative to buying stuff :)

Got any old wood knocking around? And old laddered tights?

Or go out for a walk and look for long thin sticks.
  • jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We've used twiggy sticks for the peas to climb. Doing OK
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, my yoghurt hasn't worked over night. I guess it has been too cold.

DH doesn't want me to use the flask to make it and obviously I can't make 'radiator' yog so I was thinking about sitting some on a hot water bottle. What do you think, good or terrible idea? (I'm renowned for the latter!)

I have an easiyo maker fs and I put mine in the airing cupboard. I also warm the milk before adding it to the mix, then add boiling water almost to the top, all of that together seems to work and I get lovely thick yoghurt :D It can sometimes (dependant on the flavour it seems) take more than overnight.
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nettle tea is quite "nice" - I like it mixed with peppermint :)

When tea was first around in this country and v expensive, nettle tea was mixed half and half with the real thing to stretch it. I wouldn't suggest doing this with everything that you have, but why not experiment with mixing a teaspoon of tea with a teaspoon of dried then crushed nettles (leaves only, not stalks or stems) and see how you get on?
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    redlady_1 wrote: »
    Well I have a "china" flour crock which takes about 9kg and then I will have to buy some big lock and lock bins. Fingers crossed I wont see weevils. I dont think I will ever get over the last attack!!!!

Doves is really good quality so this will be interesting.

Redlady if you freeze flour for 24hrs as soon as you get it, then you will never have trouble with unexpected "guests" again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure