The Stoptober 2014 Challenge - How much will you save?

Options

Comments

• bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good luck to all those taking up the challenge, but I won't be joining you. In fact, I'll be the last person in the country to give up smoking.

I spend £200-£250 a month on cigs which I can easily afford, and have been a smoker for nearly 50 years. I have no significant health problems, and look 10 years younger than my actual age.

I deeply resent the health Nazis and self-appointed busybodies who try to tell people how to live their lives, and the completely misguided ban on smoking in pubs etc.

Someone has to keep paying taxes so that our nanny state can stay in business.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • monz
    monz Posts: 4,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I would like to join. I only normally smoke when I have been drinking but being through a bad break up and added stress from him leaving me in debt and abuse I have taken up smoking more. I definitely want to stop :) x
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mortgage port- £70,077.82 and mortgage £126,517.39 o/s currently
    Debt - £17,190.83 (29/7/22) now (19/8/22) £16,688.80
  • Kiwisaver_2
    Options
    I quit over four years ago using Champix and Sue-UU's thread here, which I found incredibly helpful and supportive.
    I rarely think of cigarettes, I think it's really weird to think of myself as a smoker now - and I loved them.

:hello: Splishsplash good to hear you stayed off the evil weed too!

I have copied and pasted Sue-UUs wonderful advice below in case it's of help to anyone:
    You may miss cigs at first, we've all been there I promise you; the trouble with cigs is that they become to be 'a friend' so to think of quitting is like saying goodbye to that friend, grieving if you like.

However, it doesn't take long to know it was a BAD friend and you become so pleased you've left it! Keep reminding yourself about all the money you're saving and the restoration to good health, that'll helps so very much!

It may be a little difficult for those first few days, but then you'll find it's so much easier, that's when you start feeling ecstatic at your achievement. At first you may experience some sleep problems. I did for a while and always woke up terrified that I'd started again! I even felt my fingers to make sure there was no cig between them! What a relief to find it was just a dream. IF you have problems, stick with it and know that it'll soon pass. If it affects you too much then buy some "Kalms", a natural product that helps a lot

If you have a smoker's cough then trust me, you will lose that in just a few days, 2 weeks at the most! You may develop a chesty cough, don't worry as it's your body's way of getting rid of the muck. You may know that all smokers lose the hairs of the respiratory tracts due to smoking, but as soon as we give up, the hairs start to grow back and bit by bit after we get rid of the muck it will in time become as though you never smoked. My youngsters and hubby had always begged me to quit, so when I did they were so thrilled! I've not smoked since and that was 11 years ago Christmas Day 98! That WILL be you some day, go for it!!

Now tips with cravings.

Drink plenty of water all the time you're quitting! It helps so much when you get cravings and will help flush you through too! It's a greater ally than you'd imagine and also fills you up so you don't eat so much! Orange Juice is great for cravings too, it's the vit C. Try clementines too, it'll give you something to do with your fingers! Whenever you get a craving, go for a brisk walk, or do indoor exercise, even climbing the stairs will help and certainly a good walk will. Eating raw carrots, apples, celery or any fruit too. It'll also help keep any pounds off, do try not to eat chocolate, instead try sour lemons or sucking ice poles!

Taking baths/showers as often as you wish will help enormously as a lot of the 'muck' from inside perspires through the skin so we get clean inside as well as out! Relaxation CDs or relaxing music will help whilst lying down on the sofa and imagining you're somewhere beautiful so you can actually see all the wonderful things you'd wish to whilst feeling the warm sun shining on you etc. Clean you teeth often, or put a pea-sized amount of toothpaste in your mouth and swirl it around - who wants to have smokey breath after that it being so clean and fresh!

A biro/pencil is a great finger entertainer and will help from not knowing what to do with your hands/fingers. Doing crosswords (even if you're not a fan) is great as it keeps the mind and hands busy. Doing jigsaws is great, diy as well; even a few keys on a ring - anything that can be played with! The longer you give up for the quicker you 'forget' about the cravings and you'll soon find that when you do get them, they only last seconds! Later, you suddenly realise the craving went without you even realising it!!
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
  • Fergie42
    Options
    EEK! So scared but count me in.

I tried a couple of years ago with Sue U but fell off the wagon.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain :)
  • kittykat17
    Options
    Hi, I had managed to cut down from 40 a day to between 10-20 but it's recently crept up again! I'm spending approx £90 a week on cigs and can't afford it moneywise, healthwise or gumwise! Count me in please but I will need support because I've no willpower! Thanks and good luck to all joining. Hopefully we can all give up the dreaded weed and save our money for something worthwhile.
  • Former_MSE_Megan
    Options
    Well done for signing up everyone - it's the first step! :)

It's lovely to see everyone being so positive about quitting. I don't smoke myself but I might have to give something else up (chocolate? :( ) so I can join in with you!

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Mystikia
    Options
    Can I join in too please?
    Really need to stop for health reasons as well as money ones. Have stopped twice before, first for two years, then a year and a half. Both times it was bereavements that started me again :( first thing I reach for in times of stress I guess. But anyway, I'm ready to let the cigs go again now, so will give it my all.
    Good luck everyone, and thanks for running this thread. :)
  • piglet25
    Options
    Count me in - I'll give it my best shot :) Good luck everyone :)
  • MotheroftheKid
    Options
    Good luck to everybody. I gave up 2.5 years ago after smoking since I was a teenager - a long time ago!

Immediately after I stopped I opened a regular savings account and put in £50 per week, which is approximately what smoking cost me. I done this for a whole year and saved quite a tidy sum.

I used the Silk Quit meter which was on my computer, it is essentially a calculator and my stats are approximately: money saved in excess of £6,000, cigarettes not smoked approximately 18000. It is quite an old programme so I'm not sure it will work on up to date computers.

http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx

Good luck to everybody.
  • Baileysonice
    Options
    OK count me in. I was going to do this without being open to anyone about it which of course would mean nobody would know when I didn't do it. At least this way I will have the motivation to answer to a thread.

I smoke far far too much, I feel unhealthy and I hate the amount of money I regularly spend.

My strategy is to be 100% honest about it and go down the e cig route. A few months ago I bought all the kit and was "ready" to try. At the moment e cigs are a nice option when I cant have a proper fag. Its time to do this properly.

Would like to say I am looking forward to it but I would be lying. This is now a "must" not a "might get round to one day"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure