Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Options

Comments

• Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    No great rush, in fact it's better to stay on the BG fix as long as you can, as you are unlikely to beat it.
    This is what BG say about leaving them at the end if this tariff:
    If you decide to switch you’ll keep your current prices until:
    • you switch to one of our other tariffs within 20 working days after your current tariff ends or;
    • you switch to another supplier and they tell us you’d like to switch within 20 working days after your current tariff ends. The switch then needs to be completed in a reasonable time.

I'll be waiting a while and then initiate the switch away (probably near the end of September, as new suppliers tend to let the cooling off period lapse before doing anything) and effectively extend the BG tariff a bit longer. Certainly avoids going onto their standard tariff. :)

As it says "they tell us you’d like to switch within 20 working days after your current tariff ends" that reads to me that if the new supplier tells them before the current tariff ends you don't get price protection even if the switch goes past the 3rd October.

Which seems to mean that you can't apply to change too soon as they may notify before the 3rd, but can't leave it too long after the 3rd as the new supplier may not tell them within the 20 days.

As for the switch being completed in a reasonable time, electricity supply always changes quickly, but for gas as I am supplied through an IGT so that always takes ages to transfer - the longest was about 9 months.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agree with victor2. I apply to the new supplier on the last day of my current tariff. Only once has the total time exceeded the 20 days - and then a plea to the old supplier meant that they extended the deadline - so no standard rate charges.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,601 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    As it says "they tell us you’d like to switch within 20 working days after your current tariff ends" that reads to me that if the new supplier tells them before the current tariff ends you don't get price protection even if the switch goes past the 3rd October.

Which seems to mean that you can't apply to change too soon as they may notify before the 3rd, but can't leave it too long after the 3rd as the new supplier may not tell them within the 20 days.

As for the switch being completed in a reasonable time, electricity supply always changes quickly, but for gas as I am supplied through an IGT so that always takes ages to transfer - the longest was about 9 months.
    I suppose you could interpret within to mean only during the 20 working days after the tariff ends, but that isn't the case, and elsewhere in the email it says:
    If you are thinking about switching from this tariff
    We hope you’ll decide to stay with us, but as your fixed contract is ending, you can move to a different supplier without any notice or paying an exit fee.

Their definition of reasonable time could be stretched where an IGT is involved though...

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mrscirocco wrote: »
    Anyone investigated ThePeoples Energy Company - looks to be one of the cheapest but doesn't appear in mse comparisons

Sounds like the national energy supplier for North Korea :D
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 6 September 2017 at 5:16PM
    Options
    As said above, it looks like the days of collective tariffs are finished; certainly the MSE EDF collective is very disappointing.

The regional variations and level of consumption make a big difference to the choice of supplier/tariff these days.

I live in the West Midlands area and have high consumption. I found for me the OVO 2 year fix was 'only' 4.2% more than the cheapest tariff(Toto)

A pal of mine living in the Bristol area, with much lower consumption, found the same OVO tariff totally uncompetitive on price.
  • sam1974_2
    Options
    sam1974 wrote: »
    Pfffft collective fix is hardly a deal !

WHAT YOU'RE CURRENTLY PAYING £115/month £1,381/year

npower - an extra £373/yr but you'll get £25 cashback
    Estimated new costs £1,754/yr - £146/month

Various others inbetween, then:-

EDF Energy - an extra £516/yr but you'll get £25 cashback
    Estimated new costs £1,897/yr - £158/month

Really ::eek: obviously npower isn't one of the big six :rotfl:

Just an update for anyone interested .....

Have just gone ahead with a quote from TogetherEnergy £1635.04 With £50 cash back from Quidco / Lumo comparison site.

£204 (inc cashback) more expensive than BG collective but cheaper than anything else I could find, especially for electric (11939 kWh per year!)

Electric: 10.823 pence per kWh / Standing Charge 24.368
    Gas: 2.573 pence per kWh / Standing Charge 19.644 pence per day

Reviews so far for TogetherEnergy don't look horrendous. I've previously been with ExtraEnergy who had terrible reviews. I never had any issues, even got my final bill payment refund really quickly without chasing.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »

All this is covered fully in the Supply Licence that all suppliers have to comply with. If a supplier is notified via industry procedures that a transfer is in progress in the period contract end date up to 20 days post end of contract then price protection applies provided the transfer goes through in a reasonable period of time.

IGT transfers are now fully automated following the roll out of Project NEXUS in May of this year. An IGT transfer should now take as long as a non-IGT transfer. Suppliers are required to take all reasonable steps to transfer your supply in 35 days from the application to switch (14 days cooling off period plus 21 days). If a transfer took 9 months then a complaint should have be made to consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've not read the full thread, but am another for being dismayed that this tarriff is advertised by that "cheeky fibber Martin" being the lowest of the big 6, to then find an identical offer from Npower much lower.

I assume Npower will being doing rather well out of people currently searching these parameters.

A little unfair..... The cheapest deal for you depends on your usage and your postcode. I could have exactly the same usage per year as you but the deal that I am offered may not be as good as yours because of where I live. I know that this doesn’t make a lot of sense but the system goes back to the days when suppliers just supplied to the customers in their local area (eg; NORWEB). It follows that MSE now has to put a lot of caveats in the collective switches that it offers. If you want the cheapest energy then look for separate gas and electricity suppliers.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    A little unfair..... The cheapest deal for you depends on your usage and your postcode. I could have exactly the same usage per year as you but the deal that I am offered may not be as good as yours because of where I live.

Not unfair at all. Advertisers should tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

MSE have repeatedly not told the whole truth about their collective switches when they have failed to add conditionality to their claims.

I seem to remember a certain organisation being very critical of broadband suppliers quoting up to 8Mbit/sec without warning that, because of their distance from the exchange, some would NEVER get anything like 8Mbit/sec.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
  • Konya
    Konya Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Crikey. I have no idea where this last year went.
    It was a real pain switching from Eon to British Gas and now the thought that I need to change again makes me feel ill.
    My tinnitus has turned itself up to number 11 :(

What also bothers me is that whilst with British Gas I had one of their Smart Meters fitted. Aware that I would probably be leaving British Gas at some time in the future I asked the fitter whether the meter would be transferable. He said that BG don't own the meters they 'rent' them therefore my new supplier would take over the rent of said meter.
    Having now Googled the above I find it to be an untruth and my new meter will probably not work with the new company. Great!

Unless any of you Gurus on here can tell me differently? (Here's hoping)

Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport