ATB'S Frugal Foray to Freedom

Options

Comments

• atypicalblonde
    Options
    Just checked and my old mobile phone will net me the princely sum of £11 from music magpie, so that's another job for the list today x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    The memory of the terrible twos's made me shudder, We're babysitting our GD later (aged 2 & 3/4). I hope she is in her happy place ;)
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Morning, quick update:

- NSD ahead
    - Dinner out defrosting already
    - Nectar card link to Sainsburys credit card so I can start to accrue points
    - No pennies to tidy to mortgage sadly

That's not a very exciting update is it :p but I suppose a perfect example of the small things that we do on this journey to help us achieve out ultimate aim of being MF

best get kiddies sorted x
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    I've had two very interesting conversations today with a close friend and a member of the family.

My friend hasn't got much money, and veers from being super frugal to super extravagant. She told me today she is booking a holiday for next year as she needs something to look forward to, and is putting it on the credit card. Family member told me they are doing work to the house in the next month, which they can't afford on paper so they are taking out personal loans and extending the CC limit to pay for it.

Both scenarios made me inwardly quite stressed - my mindset about money has changed so much since we started this journey, I honestly can't imagine being in either situation voluntarily. We were chatting yesterday about our plans when we are mortgage free - the first thing we will do is buy a bottle of Laurent Perrier, our ultimate favourite xx

ETA - Read this earlier, and it inspired me:

"Don't downgrade your dream to match your reality. Upgrade your conviction to match your destiny"
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to say I've really enjoyed reading your posts and have subscribed! Good luck with your mortgage free journey! Jess
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Thanks Jess :) If you haven't already, I would strongly recommend starting your own diary, it is a great motivator. I have spent absolutely nada today, and plan on spending nothing tomorrow either.

I will need some fuel on Wednesday, tempted just to put a fiver in as that's all I will need for the rest of the week however it does remind me of when I had my first car and that was all I could afford to put in it :rotfl:

I am child-minding my nephew overnight and tomorrow in addition to my 2. Might have a beer soon to see me through the bedtime routine of 3 under 5s on my own :o x
  • BachSoon
    BachSoon Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ATB

I thought I would unlurk to say hi :hello: I think you've done really well to reduce your mortgage to the level you have since your old diary began.

The attempted burglary sounds really scary :eek: I think I'd have been glued to the spot in your circumstances.

Yours and other MFW diaries are great commuter inspiration for actually leaving the train :rotfl:

Please keep it up and I'll be reading with interest :T
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hi ATB! Lovely shiny new diary!

I mis read what you wrote about your son initially, I read 'DS is shooting up weed', so many things wrong with that imagined statement! So glad I re-read!haha. Some good OPs going through!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • PrincessLou
    Options

ETA - Read this earlier, and it inspired me:

"Don't downgrade your dream to match your reality. Upgrade your conviction to match your destiny"

Love this quote :A
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    All 3 kiddies successfully in bed for 7pm, go me :p:beer:

:o I can't honestly believe my ramblings inspire anyone Bachsoon, and my all guns blazing approach to the mortgage is definitely not for everyone, but it seems to be working for us, for now!

I have finished most of my Christmas shopping :) made much easier by the fact that we are all paring back this year, and making it more about spending time rather than money.

Right, cuppa then bed, I know how to paaarttyyy :rotfl:x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure