ATB'S Frugal Foray to Freedom

Options

Comments

• atypicalblonde
    Options
    Thanks Cath that's a good idea, I will look into that xx

I have tidied some pennies to the mortgage, and squirrelled away some money in the pot for the end of month OP.

If (or should I be more positive and say when?!) we reach the target of the 30s on 1st November, I am wondering what my goal should be next? I would like to start 1st January around the £137,000 mark, so we would need to OP £2400 in 2 months in addition to our usual payments to make this happen.

Any thoughts? x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • PrincessLou
    Options
    If it was me I would just split it in half and say the next target should be £138500 by December 1st, then £137000 by January 1st. :)
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never been very good at the setting of targets like that as I need to see where the money will come from. So I usually approach it saying my plan is to get x from work, make y for fleabay sales and z from not paying for something. If I told myself I was to save £2000 for overpayments by Christmas I'd just shrug and not bother because it wouldn' t seem doable, but in reality it would be possible if I made plans on how. Just me. I learnt what motivated me as I set about the journey.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Thanks both :) Watty - I am much more of a make it up as I go along kinda girl, which goes against how I approach everything else in life but seems to be working (sort of!) on our MF journey.

I have decided on the target but I will wait and see if I manage my latest one first :rotfl:
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My approach to targets is to use spreadsheet to work out an achievable target based on expected expenditure that month etc... Then i knock a bit more off to make it a challenge! Inevitably we end up hitting the challenging target as once its written down i'm then committed to the challenge, and my competitive spirit kicks in!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    My approach to targets is to use spreadsheet to work out an achievable target based on expected expenditure that month etc... Then i knock a bit more off to make it a challenge! Inevitably we end up hitting the challenging target as once its written down i'm then committed to the challenge, and my competitive spirit kicks in!

Same with me. :) Whatever does the trick, I suppose - at least it works even when I know the trick.
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Good Morning :)

£2.81 sent to the mortgage - when I logged onto online banking a mortgage advert came up, which made me smile - take out a £130k mortgage with us Mrs ATB and repay only £52,000 in interest over the term :rotfl: erm... no thank you!

Meals planned for the weekend so it should, in theory, be a no spend weekend. Off to make an omelette :) have lovely days all xx
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    "Only" 52k interest, bargain!
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Gosh I am tired. DS is 2.5 and fully in the throes of the terrible twos. Having never experienced them with DD it's an exhausting shock, today he has tantrummed on and off all day. I caved in at around 4pm and had a glass of wine to relax my shoulders, they were up round my ears with tension :o

DH and I have had a chilled evening though, and yummy dinner from the freezer of fancy chicken burgers in brioche buns with salad and HM chips, mmmmmm.

Need to buy a small gift tomorrow but other than that no spending required. Will have to Tilly tidy my accounts then menu plan for the week. If I can keep spends super low we should have a nice chunk to put into the OP pot by Friday

ATB xx
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Morning :)

£5 account tidy done. I must sort out my nectar card today - update address and link to credit card, can't have all those lovely potential points going to waste!

Have peaceful Sundays all X
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure