Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did they say if funds could be withdrawn by post?
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • mary
    mary Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I opened both by post by contacting a local branch and have recently got a Maturity letter for both Cheshire and Derbyshire from Head Office. I hadn't realised the branch I opened the Derbyshire one with closed in October, rang HO and was told they can't help me, I must try a branch nearby. Was told at the branch, you have to come in. Said I live 100 miles away, wasn't told at the time I couldn't let it mature by post, same way I opened it. Because they could see who authorised the opening of the account and the staff member had been rebased, they contacted the same woman and I was given "special" permission to close mine by post, provided I sent a covering a letter and photocopy of my passport, but otherwise strict rules, that noone can close by post. I haven't yet tackled the Cheshire one!
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Phew, mary, lucky escape through the bureaucracy of a Building Society! Shocking that they never informed you that "your" branch closed - - - I suppose we all have to add this to our 'obstacles' list.

Best of luck with the Cheshire!
  • uzubairu
    uzubairu Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Chadsman wrote: »
    Did they say if funds could be withdrawn by post?

No mention of that in the letter.

There are 2 branches of the Cheshire within a 8mile radius of my house, so we planned to go into the local banch.
  • Dagobert
    Dagobert Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    Options
    I opened a Cheshire and a Derbyshire Platinum Monthly Saver by post. Branch visits are out of the question.

I just phoned "my"branches to confirm the maturity process:

1) Cheshire BS: they are sending out an electronic transfer form for me to return with the passbook; funds will be returned via FP free of charge.

2) Derbyshire BS: I need to return my passbook with a covering letter to the branch and they will post out a cheque.
    Dagobert
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 January 2013 at 12:54PM
    Options
    Any fellow Skiptonites who opened a Skipton Special Edition Regular Saver (5% AER) in February 2012 should be receiving a letter to say what will happen on maturity in February 2013 (in my case).

They are putting my maturity proceeds into a Matured Funds Account (0.5% AER).

You can extract the money by cash or cheque (subject to their withdrawal limits) or by transfer to another Skipton account (if the conditions of that account allow).

The gross interest showing in their letter of £83.13 is about right (if you have paid in £250 every month for 12 months you should have a similar figure give or take a few pounds)
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • arsenalboy
    Options
    Dagobert wrote: »
    I opened a Cheshire and a Derbyshire Platinum Monthly Saver by post. Branch visits are out of the question.

I just phoned "my"branches to confirm the maturity process:

1) Cheshire BS: they are sending out an electronic transfer form for me to return with the passbook; funds will be returned via FP free of charge.

2) Derbyshire BS: I need to return my passbook with a covering letter to the branch and they will post out a cheque.

Dagobert
    although you opened by post, is your postal address within their catchment area?
    I applied by post a year ago by downloading a generic form, both were returned with a polite letter! However, I live a little bit away from them, Devon......!
    Did you just pick a branch at random?
  • Dagobert
    Dagobert Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    Options
    arsenalboy wrote: »
    although you opened by post, is your postal address within their catchment area?
    No. North of the wall. ;)
    arsenalboy wrote: »
    Did you just pick a branch at random?
    Yes. I opened four of those accounts with the Cheshire and three with the Derbyshire until they pulled the plug on postal applications.
    Dagobert
  • nomorekids
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what interest I would earn on say £100 per month in Ipswich smart save. The way I read it is only 1/2 % on £100 in first month, 1/2 % on £100 + (£100 x 1/2 %) on second month etc plus 3% on 12 lots of £100 only, this is very different and I suspect less than 3 1/2% calculated on daily balance.

What is the real rate of interest?
    If you want to be rich, never, ever have kids ;)
  • pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    Options
    nomorekids wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what interest I would earn on say £100 per month in Ipswich smart save. The way I read it is only 1/2 % on £100 in first month, 1/2 % on £100 + (£100 x 1/2 %) on second month etc plus 3% on 12 lots of £100 only, this is very different and I suspect less than 3 1/2% calculated on daily balance.

What is the real rate of interest?
    The way you describe it, it would be worth over 6%. But I suspect the 3 1/2% is what you get, i.e. the 3% bonus will be calculated on the daily balance, not on the final balance.
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure