Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The last time (when they changed their minds about cutting the bonus) they stated that they were relying on their general terms and the scope to vary the terms and conditions. I'd also be interested in seeing some account specific terms, but I suspect the silence here indicates that they don't exist (other than some waffle in an account leaflet, which presumably must have existed).
    Very revealing. It appears from this R-points thread from 2009 that they rolled back a previous cut to the bonus four years ago! They were indeed vague as to what it all meant. My position - that the bonus still forms an account-specific term - seems to be backed up here.

[I'll call the Beverley on Thursday when they are open again.]
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • lemonjelly
    lemonjelly Posts: 8,014 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

Norwich & Peterborough BS Gold Savings Account

Interest rate: 5% gross p.a. fixed
    Monthly payment: £20-£250
    Miss any payments: No
    Penalty-free withdrawals: No early withdrawals at all and cannot close the account early

Age of applicant: Not stated
    How to open account: In branch or by telephone

Special conditions: Must also open a Gold Current Account and fund this with at least £500 per month. After 12 months the money is transferred into an Easy Plus account. Can only hold one Gold Savings account ever. Can move money manually from Gold Current account using online banking. The Gold Current account offers free cash machine withdrawals and debit card transactions overseas.

Can I ask, do others have this account?

Am I correct in assuming that there is no interest paid on the accompanying gold account? If so, are people sweeping the £250 out each month to else where, leaving a token £1 in the non-interest earning account?
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just applied for the N&P Gold Current Account. Has anyone had any issues with applying? Mine said based on the information provided they will need to undertake some extra checks and this may take 2 working days ...
  • gwyn1_2
    Options
    lemonjelly wrote: »
    Norwich & Peterborough BS Gold Savings Account

Am I correct in assuming that there is no interest paid on the accompanying gold account? If so, are people sweeping the £250 out each month to else where, leaving a token £1 in the non-interest earning account?

I pay £500 in every month to gold current account and then transfer it immediately back out. (maintaining £1 in the account).

Have just posted the application for the Gold Regular Savings account, will do as above, though only transfer £250 straight back out, the other £250 I will transfer into the Saver account.
  • jiggy2
    jiggy2 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Can I ask, do others have this account?

£250 into Gold Savings account (5%) and £250 in e-Family Regular saver (5%). No token £1 left in the current account,
  • house_help
    house_help Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buckinghamshire BS Chiltern Gold Builder (Issue 2)

Interest rate: 3.5% gross p.a. variable from 26th April 2010
    Monthly payment: £25-£250 (fixed amount, must be the same amount as the opening deposit)
    Miss any payments: No
    Penalty-free withdrawals: Yes, one per calendar year (1st January to 31st December)
    Age of applicant: Not stated
    How to open account: Post (freepost address)
    Special conditions: Only one Gold Builder account (any issue) per customer is permitted. Transfers are not permitted from existing Buckinghamshire Building Society accounts.

This has been replaced with issue 3 paying 3% - http://www.bucksbs.co.uk/investments/product_details.asp?id=131
  • premierfella
    Options
    Bucks BS communicated via December newsletter that they had changed the restriction on monthly deposits that previously limited them to the opening deposit amount. The monthly deposit amount can now be changed, on request, in January for the 6old Builder accounts (which I have taken advantage of to bump up to the £250 maximum).
  • andy.m_2
    andy.m_2 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    I am confused, I opened a Saffron BS regular saver in November.
    I am neither an existing member nor the family of one.
    Sealed pot challange no: 339
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 3 January 2013 at 6:21PM
    Options
    andy.m wrote: »
    I am confused, I opened a Saffron BS regular saver in November.
    I am neither an existing member nor the family of one.

See post 2000 - looks like they added the restrictions in December!

HTH
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • andy.m_2
    andy.m_2 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    in by the skin of my teeth then!
    Sealed pot challange no: 339
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts