Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I have checked through everything and here is this weekend's update.

- Saffron BS 12 Month Fixed Rate Members' Regular Saver now only available to existing members and their family, and vinylmusic has been told you have to be a member for a year before you can apply
    - Beverley BS Monthly Saver bonus rate going to be reduced from 3% to 2.5% from 1st January 2013 according to Milarky's post
    - Progressive BS have withdrawn their Clockwork Regular Saver

Milarky, I cannot find details of the decreased bonus interest rate on the Beverley BS website page. Did they send you a letter to inform you of this?

This is one of those accounts with terms and conditions that I do not like. They can reduce the interest rate and you cannot decrease your monthly payment without the building society's permission. Fortunately, the timing of the decrease in bonus interest rate is such that you can take this year's bonus interest and then close the account without penalty if you are not happy with the new interest rate.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=608697
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Milarky, I cannot find details of the decreased bonus interest rate on the Beverley BS website page. Did they send you a letter to inform you of this?
    Yes. See the amendment in my original post.
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They treated my enquiry/query as a complaint (I didn't make it that) and I got their response to that in today's post. In the last day or so they've also updated their website so that a new (possibly revised) General Terms and Conditions pdf (Oct 2012) appear in place of the previously viewable one.

They have also amended the summary page for the Monthly saver itself - putting notice that the bonus will be 2.50% from January 1st but also leaving up the current bonus rate (since the period covered by it is 1 Jan to 31 Dec - making that information current)

But they have not provided a separate terms and conditions leaflet for the Monthly Saver itself - making me think no such document presently exists. But I had such a leaflet given to me when I opened the account some years back - which I cannot now find.

So can anyone who still has the Beverley Monthly Saver leaflet they were issued with check what it was saying about the bonus?

[Thank you]
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

Here is this weekend's update.

I have added the Marsden BS Branch Regular Saver to post 5 (an instant access savings account has to be opened at the same time). It pays 3.5% for 12 months on up to £250 per month. Branch finder here.

I have also updated the Beverley BS Monthly Saver account entry to reflect that the interest rate will be 2.6% from 1st January 2013.

I will do another update in 2 weeks' time. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=608697
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 December 2012 at 7:18PM
    Options
    Anyone else been refused these accounts as you've already held one of these type?

i.e. I had one of each and within the last month (when the 12 months was up on both) I tried to open both have been advised by N&P that I cant open either due to already having had each of these types.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It tells you on their site, and on this thread, that you can only ever have one account of each flavour ever.
  • fiesta04
    fiesta04 Posts: 516 Forumite
    Options
    I can't answer your question, but have you tried for the Gold Saver at 5%? You do need their Gold Current A/c though.

:beer:

F4
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    fiesta04 wrote: »
    I can't answer your question, but have you tried for the Gold Saver at 5%? You do need their Gold Current A/c though.

:beer:

F4

Thanks for the reply - already filling that to the max!!
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 December 2012 at 7:43PM
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    It tells you on their site, and on this thread, that you can only ever have one account of each flavour ever.

Appreciate you getting back to me but when the esaver finished its term I contacted N&P to see if I could open another. They confirmed (in the 'my messages' on their internet site where my accounts are visible) that I couldnt BUT stated that I was eligible to open another Regular Saver - hence I sent off the paperwork - only for it to be returned. Seems its been poor advice on the internet helpers.

Coupled with this I've already had two Regular savers (one after one another) from N&P although the first was a joint one. Seems this is also against the T&C too (but was allowed!).

Hey ho.
  • premierfella
    Options
    Milarky wrote: »
    So can anyone who still has the Beverley Monthly Saver leaflet they were issued with check what it was saying about the bonus?

I'd normally be able to help with this sort of thing, but my Monthly Saver account was an account transfer from their previous regular savings account and the terms and conditions for the Monthly Saver weren't sent to me.

The last time (when they changed their minds about cutting the bonus) they stated that they were relying on their general terms and the scope to vary the terms and conditions. I'd also be interested in seeing some account specific terms, but I suspect the silence here indicates that they don't exist (other than some waffle in an account leaflet, which presumably must have existed).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 1 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport