Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Options

Comments

• SueMumof3
    Options
    Hiya Little Mo 70. It's long and complex! But in a nutshell.
    I wrote to Abbey National in August 2005 to tell them I was closing my account and would they cancel my 6 direct debits totalling £31.42.
    On 1st September my account had gone overdrawn by £4.69. This was an oversight I admit. I paid in £50 on the 26th September 2005 as soon as I found I was overdrawn by £24.57. My next statement arrived in October and included £169 in charges for returning the unpaid direct debits.
    I had telephoned the Abbey to ask them to cancel these, and this time was told to put the request in writing, which I did, and at the same time informed everyone else concerned. My next statement came and again, all the direct debits had been returned and the charges this time were £155 plus £20 for an unauthorised overdraft. I rang the Abbey again. They said that they had not received my letter.
    By 1st January 2006, purely due to bank charges I was £223.17 overdrawn. I was finding it very difficult to manage financially and becoming very upset.
    I paid a cheque in for £225 on the 4th January 2006 to cover this, plus another £15 on the 16th January so I was in credit by £16.83. On the 23 January I was charged £20 for an unauthorised overdraft, and with added interest made me £5.06 overdrawn yet again.
    This continued throughout February, March and April and on the 1st May I paid in another £55 to cover the overdraft of £46.04, only to find I had incurred another charge of £20. This was causing me so much distress and upset and my finances were stretched to the limit.
    At the beginning of July I phoned the Abbey yet again and was told if I paid £52.29 (£20 overdraft charge was deducted from the original amount of £72.29) then I could close the account. I paid that on the 11th July and wrote to them again to tell them to close the account. This time I sent the letter by recorded delivery. I have a copy of the electronic proof of delivery.
    In August I received what I thought would be my closing statement. Yet again I had been charged £20 as I had been 23p overdrawn. The 23pence was interest from the previous statement. Once again I rang, only to be told that they had not received my letter instructing them to close the account and if I paid the 23pence into the account they would drop the £20 charge. I had destroyed my cheque book, paying in book and card as I was instructed to do so in July after paying in £52.29. On 5th October 2006 I finally spoke to someone who closed the account properly. My fury is that Abbey denied receiving both my letters and nobody told me about interest on the account taking me into overdraft. By the time you get your statement it’s too late. So that’s how being overdrawn by £4.69 can cost you £531!
  • Little_Mo_70
    Options
    SueMumof3 wrote: »
    Hiya Little Mo 70. It's long and complex! But in a nutshell.
    I wrote to Abbey National in August 2005 to tell them I was closing my account and would they cancel my 6 direct debits totalling £31.42.
    On 1st September my account had gone overdrawn by £4.69. This was an oversight I admit. I paid in £50 on the 26th September 2005 as soon as I found I was overdrawn by £24.57. My next statement arrived in October and included £169 in charges for returning the unpaid direct debits.
    I had telephoned the Abbey to ask them to cancel these, and this time was told to put the request in writing, which I did, and at the same time informed everyone else concerned. My next statement came and again, all the direct debits had been returned and the charges this time were £155 plus £20 for an unauthorised overdraft. I rang the Abbey again. They said that they had not received my letter.
    By 1st January 2006, purely due to bank charges I was £223.17 overdrawn. I was finding it very difficult to manage financially and becoming very upset.
    I paid a cheque in for £225 on the 4th January 2006 to cover this, plus another £15 on the 16th January so I was in credit by £16.83. On the 23 January I was charged £20 for an unauthorised overdraft, and with added interest made me £5.06 overdrawn yet again.
    This continued throughout February, March and April and on the 1st May I paid in another £55 to cover the overdraft of £46.04, only to find I had incurred another charge of £20. This was causing me so much distress and upset and my finances were stretched to the limit.
    At the beginning of July I phoned the Abbey yet again and was told if I paid £52.29 (£20 overdraft charge was deducted from the original amount of £72.29) then I could close the account. I paid that on the 11th July and wrote to them again to tell them to close the account. This time I sent the letter by recorded delivery. I have a copy of the electronic proof of delivery.
    In August I received what I thought would be my closing statement. Yet again I had been charged £20 as I had been 23p overdrawn. The 23pence was interest from the previous statement. Once again I rang, only to be told that they had not received my letter instructing them to close the account and if I paid the 23pence into the account they would drop the £20 charge. I had destroyed my cheque book, paying in book and card as I was instructed to do so in July after paying in £52.29. On 5th October 2006 I finally spoke to someone who closed the account properly. My fury is that Abbey denied receiving both my letters and nobody told me about interest on the account taking me into overdraft. By the time you get your statement it’s too late. So that’s how being overdrawn by £4.69 can cost you £531!

I am no expert but this is my take on this situation:

Seeing as how you have obviously tried, right from the outset, to sort out the problem with Abbey, perhaps the court ruling might not apply here. This is something else; basically, you have been put in a financially difficult situation because Abbey appeared to put one hurdle after another before you, making settlement impossible.

Hopefully you have kept as many records as you can on all the above - details of all phone calls etc, copies of all letters sent and received, and details of any conversations you may have had over the counter plus bank statements etc. I feel that you have because the above account is pretty detailed.

Was the last letter you received from Abbey (Santender) before Christmas, their final response? If so, I wouldn't bother writing them any more letters, just go straight to the FOS with as much detailed evidence as you can supply. Send it by special delivery for good measure.
    If it wasn't the final response, I would send your detailed complaint with evidence to their CEO. Claim your charges plus interest using the calc.on MSE.

The very best of luck Sue
  • Tugela
    Tugela Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to the advice from this site - i have been refunded my PPI from both my Halifax Credit cards which have now paid off the cards with some change.
    So far due to this site i have had : Lloyds visa, Halifax x 2 , Momument, Lloyds Loan - all PPI repaid....... thank you thank you
  • SueMumof3
    Options
    Hi Little Mo 70.
    A huge "thank you" for the time you've taken to reply. I had given up after receiving their reply thinking that was the end of it. I do have all documentation and you've really motivated me to carry on with this. I'll keep you updated and I appreciate your support. Thanks :T
  • Little_Mo_70
    Options
    SueMumof3 wrote: »
    Hi Little Mo 70.
    A huge "thank you" for the time you've taken to reply. I had given up after receiving their reply thinking that was the end of it. I do have all documentation and you've really motivated me to carry on with this. I'll keep you updated and I appreciate your support. Thanks :T

It's a valid complaint supported by clear proof and I don't see how they could deny it or fob you off. It made me so angry.:mad:
    :beer:I'll put the bubbly on hold until I hear the outcome.
  • Kindle
    Options
    Hi just wanted to say a big thank you to you all for giving us the confidence to apply to get our PPI payments returned, we had a very large loan with Nat West 5 years ago, we were told at the point of applying, the loan would not be allowed unless we took out PPI.

When thinking about requesting our PPI payments back, we had heard that some people had their bank accounts closed etc and felt intimidated by the whole banking system, but reading the stories on here we decided to try. I downloaded the templates and tweaked them a little, I included copies of the original agreement (which were not originals as they had not been signed) but that was all we were given at the time, anyway took a deep breath and posted. It took from September to just before Christmas (11 weeks), we had two letters from the bank, the first to say they had received our application and the second letter was a letter asking us if we agreed with the contents and to understand it was an offer of full refund of payments with 8% interest and a deduction from our loan of future PPI payments that had been added to the loan total, but it was not an admission of fault by the Bank. The Bank has been very friendly with no problems at all. The staff at our branch have been excellent. If you are thinking about doing this then do not be worried just post your application and wait. It will happen. You can do this. Thank you
  • tiggerbabe
    Options
    Having been successful with Abbey in the past to the tune of £1,713 I decided at the end of Nov '11 to try to reclaim the bank charges I had with both the RBoS and Clydesdale (£288 and £653 respectively). ;)

My account with RBoS has been closed for a couple of years so they will not look at my claim via the hardship method, but I have just written back to them stating that as the charges that I am referring to happened prior to the 2009 ruling, they should still be looked at and reminded them that I have evidence (through this website although I didn't tell them that!) that others are still being successful in reclaiming bank charges through various banking institutions including RBoS so we'll see what happens! Nothing ventured!

However, the CB with whom I still have a current account were very quick to provide me with their final response in their first letter to me. I pointed out to them that on many occasisons over the years I have been charged £25 for going less than £1 over my overdraft during the month and that these charges are excessive. I have contacted the CB on several occasions when I was aware that this was going to happen to see if they could help me, but was always told no, I was at my overdraft limit and that was it. :(

Interestingly, CB's final response letter was dated 16th December '11 and on the 23rd December my bank statement started showing an "overdraft buffer" of £25 which has never appeared on my statements before. :cool:

To me, this is just an acceptance on CB's part that charging £25 for going slightly over your limit is excessive and I have pointed that out to the Ombudsman in my first letter to them.

I have always found the Ombudsman very helpful as I have used them for several different claims in the past. They were responsible for me achieving my £1713 win over the Abbey so fingers crossed for me this time!

Again, if you don't ask, you don't get! ;)
  • DizzyBrunetteGirl
    Options
    Wrote to HSBC in the summer over about £2k of charges. Got the usual fobbing off letter. Meant to reply but getting the response just so takes time and effort and I never got around to it. Given that the letter said I had 8 weeks to respond and it's now well over that, do people think I'm able to write to them again and start over my request for a refund? I know, I'll have to be far more on the ball this time.

Got to say I repeat someone's earlier question - has anyone EVER had any joy with HSBC? I've not seen one HSBC success story on this thread!!!!
    CC1 0%: [STRIKE]£6695[/STRIKE] £1432 CC2 0%: [STRIKE]£772[/STRIKE] £902 :(L1 5.2%: [STRIKE]£9067[/STRIKE] £0 :DL2 0%: [STRIKE] £5500[/STRIKE] £900 L3: [STRIKE]£700[/STRIKE] £0 :DL4: [STRIKE]£145[/STRIKE] £0 :DOD: [STRIKE]£100[/STRIKE] £100 :(Total: £3,334
    Light Bulb Moment: March 2010 ~ Debt Free Date: January 2014
    Revised Debt Free Date: August 2013 :j
  • Seri
    Seri Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Just informing everyone of my progress with HSBC. Received the first letter back off them this morning stating that they are investigating my claim and I shoud hear back off them by March 1st. I was a little suprised to receive this response as I was expecting the usual fob off letter but time will tell. Hopefully this will get resolved quite quickly.
  • DizzyBrunetteGirl
    Options
    Hi Seri

Keep me posted. Will be interested to see your progress with HSBC as if you get anywhere it will spur me into trying again!

Just to let you know what happened when I tried - I got a 'we're investigating letter', then a 'we've done nothing wrong but you are welcome to contact us again in the next 8 weeks if you are not happy letter'. With the second letter received they put £100 in my bank account as a 'goodwill gesture' though they claim they've done nothing wrong. I haven't touched this money as am hoping to rewrite to them and don't want to look like I will accept only £100.

Good luck :)
    CC1 0%: [STRIKE]£6695[/STRIKE] £1432 CC2 0%: [STRIKE]£772[/STRIKE] £902 :(L1 5.2%: [STRIKE]£9067[/STRIKE] £0 :DL2 0%: [STRIKE] £5500[/STRIKE] £900 L3: [STRIKE]£700[/STRIKE] £0 :DL4: [STRIKE]£145[/STRIKE] £0 :DOD: [STRIKE]£100[/STRIKE] £100 :(Total: £3,334
    Light Bulb Moment: March 2010 ~ Debt Free Date: January 2014
    Revised Debt Free Date: August 2013 :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport