PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I seem to be buying things at the moment to help me use up the things that I have in my stores.

I have flour that will soon pass its best before date. Last week I bought some sultanas so I can make some welsh cakes and today I bought butter, caster sugar, glace cherries and chocolate pieces which will make other pretty cakes. Plus I got some pastry which was silly as I can make pastry with the flour! So I'll probably freeze the bought pastry.

I don't even want to eat sweet things (well I do, but I reallyneed to lose weight!)

I'm sure that I'd save money if I just threw the flour away, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. I've got plain and self raising flour, plus gluten free and coconut flour, and a little amount of almond flour.

I'll update my freezer and cupboard inventory soon, but it is taking forever to use up my stocks

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    6/9/2017 -

One of the freezer drawers is now empty. A few small packets of reduced price bread were removed.

My online (food) grocery purchases were kept to the minimum whereby the cost was largely for milk to last a month. The plan (again) is to use up a lot of my present "food stock" before the next food order; maybe in two weeks. I expect that this will take some time!
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    Zafiro I totally get why you have 4 freezers after reading about your seasonal gluts. In one way it's great having all that lovely food but it also sounds like hard work

Frogletina - you can use plain flour for bread of you want to avoid too much sweet stuff. Thrifty Lesley has a recipe:

http://www.thriftylesley.com/cheapy-bread-rolls-2p-each-an-hour-from-start-to-finish/
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    I seem to be buying things at the moment to help me use up the things that I have in my stores.

frogletina

Me too! I needed a bag of stir fry veg to use up my stores of miso paste, soba noodles & beans and some potatoes for my casserole.

There always seems to be something needed for using up ingredients.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In: nothing
    Out: smoked haddock fishcake, oven chips, peas
    Used up: soup, bread, smoked cheddar
  • Frogletina
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »

Frogletina - you can use plain flour for bread of you want to avoid too much sweet stuff. Thrifty Lesley has a recipe:

http://www.thriftylesley.com/cheapy-bread-rolls-2p-each-an-hour-from-start-to-finish/

Oh, thanks for that - I will give that a go

cheers

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Frogletina
    Options
    Not a happy bunny tonight.

Bought a packet of 5 packs of Tyrells crisps today at Sainsbury's and it wasn't until I got home I found out they were already out of date!

I've dashed a quick email off to Sainsbury's - watch this space!

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Frogletina are they soft and by how much are they 'ood' ?

used up a gammon steak and mashed potatoes and veg all from the freezer last night and I am digging out some fish for tonight's dinner.No shopping being bought unless it really is necessary as I am going to empty that blooming freezer before christmas if I can :):):)
    After all its sitting there with lots of my cash converted into food :):):) so my purse is tucked away and I am doing my best to stay away from shops this month.
  • Frogletina
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »

Bought a packet of 5 packs of Tyrells crisps today at Sainsbury's and it wasn't until I got home I found out they were already out of date!

I've dashed a quick email off to Sainsbury's - watch this space!

frogletina
    JackieO wrote: »
    Frogletina are they soft and by how much are they 'ood' ?

They are only a month out of date, but still, they should have been removed from the shelf.

I have tried a packet, and they are a little soft, but I was really going to keep them for when the grandchildren came round.

I've already had a reply from Sainsbury's and they have added £2.50 worth of Nectar points to my card.

So, well done to them

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really need to get back into this challenge. My freezer is bursting at the seams again! Some of that is produce from the allotment, but we still have stuff from last summer.

Went shopping today and I'm proud to say I have added nothing to the freezer. DH is cooking tonight - fish curry with fish from freezer, so that's a step in right direction
    weaving through the chaos...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure