PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In: nothing
    Out: chicken curry pie
    Mashed potato
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In: broad beans and brambles from the garden
    Out: Ciabatta roll, seafood sticks, portion chicken soup (given to my Dad). portion ragu, pitta bread
    Used up: cheese spread, 2kg homegrown tomatoes made into sauce, 1 kg shallots now peeled and brining for pickle
  • zafiro1984
    Options
    In:- loads of Bramley apples
    Out: 2 turkey drumsticks, 2 pieces bread, blackberries
    Rest from fridge and cupboards and pantry/store, veg plot.

Caronc:- I went to pick some more blackberries from our hedges but the rain has ruined them all, hopefully there'll be some later this week as I need some to put in vodka or brandy.
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Since my last post (9/9/17) :-

Finished the (free) plums and some of the (free) blackberries as snacks hence creating bits of space. Still a lot of (free) turnip greens to use up.

(Special offer) vegetable stock pots are being used to make some food items more tasty. Current fridge stored ingredients/recipes are prepared ready to eat into more manageable portions.

Just one spend (reduction) at the weekend obtained that covered two meals which was had with current food "stock".
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    Used really old Minute Rice tonight when I made garlic/onion fried rice as a side dish.
    Another box gone from the pantry!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    In:- loads of Bramley apples
    Out: 2 turkey drumsticks, 2 pieces bread, blackberries
    Rest from fridge and cupboards and pantry/store, veg plot.

Caronc:- I went to pick some more blackberries from our hedges but the rain has ruined them all, hopefully there'll be some later this week as I need some to put in vodka or brandy.
    Fingers crossed - if not the SM frozen ones work very well;)

Yesterday
    Out: "ping" ready meal:o, oven chips
    Used up: pate

Today
    In: runner beans, tomato sauce
    Out: mince, chicken soup
    Used up: egg mayo, chard, sherry & white wine vinegar- turned a couple of bags of shallots into pickle, spuds - made a huge pan of mash
  • zafiro1984
    Options
    Out: An already cooked steak and kidney portion to make into a pie for one. frozen peas, turkey stock, profiteroles, roasties.
    Everything else from fridge, store cupboard or veg plot.

I'm trying to get the contents of the freezer under the fridge used up. I usually put all my bits and pieces of opened packets in there and leftovers.
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    I did manage to clear a whole shelf of my freezer but I've now mostly filled it again with batch cooked meals. I've realised it's the only way I'm going to be able to quickly get my LO's dinner on the table on week days now he's started school. When he was at nursery they fed him dinner but at after school club he only gets a snack so he's pretty hungry and it's fairly late for him by the time we walk home from there (about a mile from our house).

I'm still trying to clear some more space though as I don't want a packed freezer come Xmas. You need some space to file the surplus mince pies and sprouts. I seem to have lots of small packets of apple in the freezer so I'm thinking it's time for a big fat apple crumble at the weekend. And there's definitely some custard in there (although unlabelled so I may end up with cheese sauce instead - although apple and cheese could work?).
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Decided today that a use up few weeks is really required again as freezers chocablock and will need space for Christmas stuff. I already have the Gammon and turkeybreast but will need pork and beef. Really hoping to see a repeat of the £4 kg beef offer at Asda. They have done this for the last two years so fingers crossed.

So today stewing beef, sausage and bacon out.
    Slimming World at target
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last Tuesday and Wednesday : - Had to go on a few errands recently for non-food items. There were lots of very good food reductions but didn't purchase any. An online purchase for some food flavourings (33% off) was made but didn't take up much cupboard space. Still using up ingredients but very slowly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback