PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - Springing Ahead

Options

Comments

• mollythewestie
    mollythewestie Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Managed to charity shop another carrier bag of books this week.

I had a garden clearance guy in who took apart and disposed of the re-enforced concrete coal bunker / compost bin, along with a few bags of rubble and miscellaneous rubbish that was in the garden (old fence posts, broken garden furniture etc).

I have also started to ebay some of a collection of things that I never thought I'd part with. Ive sold about 1/3rd of the collection and already made more money than I thought that the entire lot was worth! :j
    I have another 100 free listsings on ebay this weekend, so will get the rest on to sell ASAP, along with a few DVD box sets - as we can access them all through Sky anyway, so no need to keep the DVDs.
    Value of prizes 2010 - 2017: £8374 Wins 2022: Magic set
    Debt free thanks to MSE
  • dragonette
    Options
    Ive sorted out a couple more bags for life of things that can go. A friend unexpectedly turned up at 8.30 this morning, I knew she was going to visit this month but didn't know what day. She's here till Sunday...

Until this latest round of dehoarding and kondoing and sorting, this would have sent me into a flapping panic. Instead, the only urgent thing I had to do was clean the loo - everything else was messy but alright. Not tidy, not immaculate, but good enough.

Hope everyone is doing well in this path, tiny baby steps all add up :)

Does anyone else find that rooms look terrible just before bed, yet they aren't too bad the next morning, even though nothing has changed?
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all! It's been a while I visited on here but there wasn't really much point, lol. DD1 stayed for 2 months between apartments and so did her boxes and black bags full of stuff. Her old room was not available as it is an ongoing DIY project - which means that DD2's boxes of stuff are also spread around the house. I need not say any more, lol.
    Things are looking up a bit now - but of course after rubbish weather in the holidays it is now lovely and sunny so instead of DIYing I am decluttering the veg plot of weeds!
    Hopefully see you back soon though, can't wait to get cracking ;)
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    dragonette wrote: »
    Ive sorted out a couple more bags for life of things that can go. A friend unexpectedly turned up at 8.30 this morning, I knew she was going to visit this month but didn't know what day. She's here till Sunday...

Until this latest round of dehoarding and kondoing and sorting, this would have sent me into a flapping panic. Instead, the only urgent thing I had to do was clean the loo - everything else was messy but alright. Not tidy, not immaculate, but good enough.

Hope everyone is doing well in this path, tiny baby steps all add up :)

Does anyone else find that rooms look terrible just before bed, yet they aren't too bad the next morning, even though nothing has changed?

Re rooms looking bad. I think my subconscious is trying to tell me to kick start the declutter again. I had a dream where I was a new volunteer at a place providing items for 'families in need'. It was a largish property over several floors and most of the 'donations' were neither use nor ornament. The property was in bad condition and the top floor had damp patches on the walls and floor due to holes in the ceiling. Nothing was sorted, just random piles here and there - I can remember some dark green crepe paper, a heap of 1970s foam backed material (think it was a forerunner to draylon for making mock velvet 'insulated' curtains but I remember my mother making me a pinafore from the factory remnants shop) and some broken bed heads with lots of spare bits of wood. Think there were some drawers in need of mending but that was in the early part of the dream which was fading by the time I woke up.

Luckily none of this is present in my current home (although I bought DS3 a new headboard which I haven't managed to attach to his bed yet) but the things I remember have featured in homes I have lived in (mum splashing out on a couple of rolls of crepe paper for Christmas decorations was a regular feature of my childhood) and if I don't tackle things NOW in ten or twenty years my clutter could be as relevant and useful as the dream items.

Unfortunately there seem to be lots of issues I need to tackle at once, but am determined to do something, however small, each day. I also want to use what I have - I know I have some good material stored away that I have been saving until I was a reasonable size - but I am getting very short on clothes (discarded larger sizes as I have lost weight)
    and need to make use of my store (also thinking of craft items to sell using the store - a good way of converting 'junk' to cash).

My mother phones this morning to tell me about a bungalow she has seen (money for this is dependent on me selling the 'up for sale' house). I have looked at it on line and it is truly tiny so I can see much radical decluttering on the cards - she had stopped my previous efforts and I have not been able to continue since my operation (the stairs at her partner's house are very narrow and steep). I have bought a weekly but ticket so I can 'bus-hop' back and forth to tackle the maintenance of the 'for sale' house. Even managed to show two men round the other night - they had been standing looking at the front. Really want to be rid of that house now, even with a loss on what I paid for it.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    Options
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you mothernerd - hope it sells soon :)

I am a hoarder of craft supplies - thank you for reminding me to go check what I can use up soon
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 August 2015 at 6:10PM
    Options
    It's been so quiet here -is everyone busy decluttering ? ;)

I managed to get 2 bags to the CS this week and the Cash4Clothes bag is also slowly filling up. The DIY project that is going to be DD2's room is also moving forward after we managed to put a lovely "new" Ikea shelving sytem up (thanks, Gumtree, lol) and did my wrist in unscrewing literally 100s of fixings of her hand- made high sleeper! I must say that OH did build this 15 years ago for eternity...now at least we'll have plenty of kindling for the fire and he will use the better planks of wood for finishing the window frames and the living room shelving. At least that's the plan as for now he has managed to clutter up my shed!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • barneydee_2
    Options
    Had another week off only trouble was the oh was of as well so could not get as much decluttering done as I would have liked as he will not through anything away!!!!
    I'm getting very down about it at the moment as it's not going as quickly as I would like if I had my way I would hire a skip & just get rid in one swoop
    I realy want to move as I feel this house has not been a lucky house but he will not concider this well must stop moaning & get on with the decluttering
    Dee x
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought this thread could do with a BUMP :)
  • dragonette
    Options
    Thanks Ivyleaf I'm still gradually pecking away, I have managed to decide on how to put up pictures on my horribly crumbly walls. I've mounted them on coloured card of an appropriate size and put them up with sticky fasteners. Much safer than frames!

This ofc meant I could get rid of the frames and not have them sitting about
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Pleased to see this thread back up near the top; I have to admit total failure lately & am in need of encouragement/a boot up the derriere. One more offspring has moved back in (DS3, working in a church near us for the next year) so we are now down to just one small spare room for DS1's sporadic visits home & any other random guests, which also has to house my work/sewing bench & fabric collection. There's stock up to ceiling levels in the porch & conservatory again...

So I've chosen this moment to downsize my stall at the Emporium... the lighting over my old one has died & can't be replaced in a hurry, but a smaller but better-shaped & lit space has come free opposite. To try to reduce the stock I need to house in the new space, I marched down there today & put an "everything half-price" notice up, which made me panic mightily; I kept thinking, no, no, not that, that's worth every penny I'm asking for it, every time I looked at anything. BUT that way madness lies... I'd never be able to get it all on the new pitch! And I won't be losing out, just moving stuff on at the price I paid for it rather than for a profit.

Sorted out yet more fabric to go for sale today; next job is to go through the hats and only keep the ones that worth giving up storage space for. I'm fining down the scope of what I do & trying to reduce the impact on family life, as well as the amount of stuff I have to keep track of & attempt to care for. Pleased to report, though, that our bedroom is now as tidy as any room with 15,000-odd football programmes in it can be, & the wardrobe & drawers are sorted & don't contain anything (of mine) that isn't in current use.

Was dismayed to find something under the bed that got left over from last Christmas - shows how often I clean under there! But as it's a large tin of choccies, still perfectly edible, it's not all bad news...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure