Does an illegal plate circumvent average speed cameras?

Options

Comments

• Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 May 2017 at 11:42AM
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    Same as speed limits. A village near me is a 30mph zone but almost no-one drives at 30. 40-60mph is the norm. Even lorries thunder through on full throttle - and they're professional drivers. And if you dare drive at 30 you get an angry queue behind you who overtake and beep at the earliest possible opportunity.

So why not just raise the limit to 60?

Indeed, no doubt the limit was 40, 50 or 60 up till a few years ago when councils were freed by central government from setting speed limits based on the 85th percentile rule (the speed at which 85% of traffic travel at on that section of road) and lower speed limits became a political football and something that looked good on the next election pamphlet.
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Blueblood wrote: »
    Come to Rochdale, you can drive @ whatever speed you want, have whatever plates you want, park on a pelican crossing, use your phone whilst driving in fact do anything you want in a car...........
    YOU THINK I AM JOKING
    Well I am not !
    Wake up to the world of no police !!

Not just Rochdale, apparently in London, you can also do as you please...if you are financially well off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U12yI2MdvYE

VB
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    vansboy wrote: »
    Not just Rochdale, apparently in London, you can also do as you please...if you are financially well off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U12yI2MdvYE

VB

What were they doing?
  • vansboy
    Options
    What were they doing?

Showing off, just a lil bit, maybe??

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=72536516

Seems a regular way to go, for them/him.

VB
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    Is showing off illegal?
  • vansboy
    Options
    Is showing off illegal?

Not at all.

But the blatant mis-use of the registration numbers is.

VB
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2017 at 12:54PM
    Options
    Well given it's reading registration numbers that's exactly what's it's looking for. Given you appear to be some sort of expert on such systems do tell us your qualifications.

It litterally looks for numbers and characters, it doesn't care about the format they're in at all.

It has to (for example) be able to work out the plates in something like 5 formats just for the UK*, then it has to be able to work out the plates for Ireland, and the EU.

ANPR is basically optical character recognition at the front end, it looks for any identifiable numbers/letters in an image, and then it compares them to various possible output formats and if there is any problem it flags them.

It's not that much different to when you put a letter on your scanner and use the OCR software supplied with it, except the OCR software in use is far better and only has to deal with a very small number of actual fonts.

*From memory we've used about 3 different formats since the 80's, and some of the oldest registration marks have been in use since around 1910 (one of the shortest I've seen in person was 4 digits).
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've noticed more cars round here, mostly like Audis, Mercs, BMWs, but some like Peugeots or Vauxhalls, with the plates looking like they've got a tinted filter over them - are those illegal as well?
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if it is illegal to have a paint scheme that consists of numbers and letters in a similar font to a number plate. That would give the computer something to think about.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    iltisman wrote: »
    I wonder if it is illegal to have a paint scheme that consists of numbers and letters in a similar font to a number plate. That would give the computer something to think about.
    There's a much simpler solution. All you need to do is to renounce the legal fiction your parents signed with the government when you were born, and you're outside of the contractual relationship with the "government". Then take the plates off, send them back to DVLA, and you're free! There's nothing they can do!

http://www.projectfreeman.com/stoptax-3-noticetoDVLA.htm

What could possibly go wrong?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family