Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 5th Nov 11, 9:12 PM
    • 7,022Posts
    • 78,088Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Countdown to Freedom
    • 5th Nov 11, 9:12 PM
    Countdown to Freedom 5th Nov 11 at 9:12 PM
    A new diary as we enter the last two months of 2011. I have been lurking for almost a year and have found so many of you inspirational, particularly Billy, Michelle, Radish, and Museum Worker.

A bit of background I am married to a great man, two kids who are growing up too quickly, two cats and a dog! Never a dull moment in our household as you can imagine.

I had my LB moment 12 months ago and started to work on my husband to bring him round as I thought we both needed to be on board to tackle this project. I have just asked him when he had his LB moment and he said 'when you told me I had' however he swiftly followed this up with 'when I realised we would never reduce the mortgage whilst battling with 'the large Spanish bank'!

To set the stage for where we are and where we are aiming for:
    Current mortgage 312000 and I wince as I type the number, with the outstanding mortgage due to finish in 10 years. Aim is to clear the mortgage in 6 years. We are fortunate that we are both employed on good salaries however in this day and age who knows how long that will last.
    Onwards and upwards, my next post will be to build a picture of how I/we have put into practice all the things learnt from you great people.

Thanks for reading and I hope some day I can inspire others the way some of you have inspired me/us.
Page 468
  • Muser1
    We had marrows when we got home too! I stuffed them but slicing is a great idea.

Muser x
    Mortgage - Jan 13 99260.00
    August 2015 - 92,777.25
    1,000 emergency fund challenge#30 1100.92/1000 !
    0% CC until Feb 2016 3816.21/3057
  • HappyNow
    Oh wow, congratulations!! I am so thrilled for you, and you thoroughly deserve it! xx
    LBM Dec 2011. Aiming to clear ALL unsecured debt by Feb 2019 (37.57% so far)

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured 69,579 + Mortgage 59,948 = 129,527
    Debt Aug 15: Unsecured 43,438 + Mortgage 49,825 = 93,263 (27.99% paid)
  • ajmoney
    Ah, people will be saying how "lucky" you are now

Congratulations, you have worked so hard to be so lucky
    Originally posted by katep23
    I was only discussing the "lucky" comment with my mum the other day. Why do people assume that if you have money you were either born into it or are lucky. Even winning it takes control to keep it, if it is that easy how come most lottery winners spend it all? We live on a lovely estate which to outsiders probably looks like we all have lots of money. We had people one night last week trying car and house doors trying to get in an steal things, they were seen with a large white van so were clearly hoping to get quite a haul. Like anybody would be able to spend easily to replace things. I much prefer the community on here, it doesn't matter how little or much you earn, everyone is so supportive and helpful. It takes people from all walks of life to help you learn to find your way. Anyway sorry to rant...you are all great and we all help each other through. Now it is Tilly's time to impart her knowledge while we all continue to help each other muddle through
    2015 MFW No. 70 1511.94/2800
    MFiT-T3 No. 70 20729.44/36938.01
    Mortgage 149716.19 Savings 66176(ish)
    Total left to pay/save 83540.19

• saver-j
    Hello Tilly

I just had to delurk to say a massive congratulations and do a few of these for you achieving your MF badge.

I have been lurking on your diary for about six months, and a little while back decided I would pop back to the start of your diary, read the first 10 pages or so just to see how it all started out for you, and well I got really sucked in and today I have caught up with where I started lurking!

So many things you have posted about have resonated with me. It has been a really inspiring read and in so many ways as well, not just the mortgage overpaying, which is in itself an incredible achievement, but also in your organisation, enthusiasm, energy and kindness. Like so many others I hope you'll keep up your diary even though you are now MF as I really want to keep reading along and being inspired by you.

Well done on all the hard work of you and the Tilly family again
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 31st Aug 15, 7:32 PM
    • 7,022 Posts
    • 78,088 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Evening, thanks for your messages. It really has not sunk in yet

I can't believe how cold and wet it is. Mr T has put the heating on for an hour

We went to see Bad Education late afternoon and, although we watched it with the kids and the language was we all laughed. Can't beat laugter.

Chicken and chorizo casserole in the SC tomorrow. Wondering how I can hide yet more marrow in it

Washing and ironing finished - toooooo wet today for more gardening

I've remembered to cancel mortgage payment from now on . That was fab.

Off to have a very early night - DD and Mr T are going to watch a film and I don't fancy it. Pretty sure the popcorn will be in the MW shortly

Night, Tilly x x
    2004 387k 29 years - MF March 2033 2011 309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Goal: 28/08/15
    House 1:value 575k, Outstanding Mort 10
    House 2: value Euro 400k, owned outright
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,123Posts Today

8,954Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks to @CBBC_Hacker for sending us our own Hacker, baby MSE is smitten. Altight cocker. http://t.co/mdVVz56YHD

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• Follow Martin