Post Office* Online Saver account - useless

Options
I spent time today attempting to pay into my new account with the above.
System was down then server timed me out. Phone line on hold with useless noisy recording. Total incompetence just for 1.27%.

Comments

• surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They're not very good. I've got two online accounts with them, although I can pay money in I can't take money out. After half an hour on the phone, one account got fixed. The other one didn't, so I rang back, and after another 20 minutes on the phone the operator refused to believe there was anything wrong with the other account and hung up on me
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • chockydavid1983
    Options
    I see they haven't got any better in the years since I last had an account with them! :-)
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a white label product from Bank of Ireland.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    It's a white label product from Bank of Ireland.

I think a brown label might be more appropriate.
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ..I had similar problems with the post office "accounts" a few years ago (truly appalling customer service) and eventually managed to get all my money out and put it somewhere more reliable. Can't believe they are still having such basic issues.
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • spionfox
    Options
    Opened a Post Office on-line savings account Thursday evening and was impressed at how quickly it was set up. Then I transferred a small sum via FasterPayments and it took around two hours to show. No problem, it can take up to two hours with FasterPayments. Last night I transferred a very much larger sum via FasterPayments and now, ten hours later it is still not showing. Just rung them (finally got through just as the awful muzak was threatening to make my head explode) to be told that it can take three working days for the funds to arrive.

Not happy and as soon as the funds show I will be closing that account. As somebody else said, it is just not worth it for 1.27%.
  • do163600
    Options
    I had a similar experience recently, trying to move a large sum out of a PO account. The three working days had a weekend in the middle of them - not impressed.

What kind of system are they using, when everyone else seems to be able to do immediate transfers?
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought the rules for faster payments were buy the end of the next working day?
    As a minimum, all financial institutions in the UK must abide by the Payment Services Directive (PSD) - this states that any payments made by mobile, internet or phone banking (including standing orders) must arrive by the end of the following business day at the latest.

The law also says the beneficiary bank must make funds available to their customer as soon as they receive the instruction (noting that some institutions do not operate on weekends or public holidays).

I guess post office does not come under financial institution?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    djpailo wrote: »
    I guess post office does not come under financial institution?
    But since their financial services are actually provided by Bank of Ireland UK (not the Irish parent), they definitely do need to comply with all UK banking regulations....
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    But since their financial services are actually provided by Bank of Ireland UK (not the Irish parent), they definitely do need to comply with all UK banking regulations....
    All my withdrawals from my PO Savings Acount arrived the next working day. I just moved my account at the old rate to a new account at the new rate and the money was moved instantly and the old account closed. So I have no complaints so far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure