CAT FLEAS - merged

Options

Comments

• Davidboy
    Davidboy Posts: 922 Forumite
    Options
    Definatley go with "Frontline" as already stated expensive but you won't see the little blighters again!

D
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A few years ago, I must have tried every old style method of getting rid of fleas - none of them worked and I wasted time and money trying them.

IN my opinion, only the products from the vets work though you can buy the spray for your house over the internet, Indorex by Virbac. I agree with the frontline on the pet idea too - expensive but effective. If they have got into your carpets though, you need to spray the house. A pain in the butt I know.

If you buy over the internet and then have to pay delivery charge it may well end up cheaper getting it from the vets. Thankfully I no longer have a cat - as this heat really brings those critters out!
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• giggs11
    giggs11 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    it's not expensive if you buy it online, vets charge a lot more than they should! I buy it online here http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/a...reatments.html

£16.25 for 6 frontline spot-ons and £11.65 for the acclaim house spray and that will last a year for one cat :)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep, I'm pleased with the Acclaim I bought last year. I sprayed everything with it. Since Sally loafs all over various items of furniture I reckon any fleas she brought in turned their toes up on the spot.

Which reminds me - it's probably about time to go round the house again.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    giggs11 wrote:
    it's not expensive if you buy it online, vets charge a lot more than they should! I buy it online here http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/a...reatments.html

£16.25 for 6 frontline spot-ons and £11.65 for the acclaim house spray and that will last a year for one cat :)
    Vets charge more than they should?

Hmmm ... when I buy my dog and cat treatments from the vet, I know that I can phone up for advice if I need it, and I know that the vet can advise me on what's best for them. I have my doubts that I would get such help from a website, and if I did I doubt I would trust it. I'm happy to pay a bit extra in return for the peace of mind I get. I'm all for moneysaving and shopping around but I'm not keen to undermine the service I get at the moment.
  • sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Poor you! My black cat had fleas last summer - I only had to stand still for a second and one would jump onto my leg! We use Stronghold on him from the vet (does worms as well as fleas and tics), and we sprayed the house with Indorex. Great stuff, and it lasts for a year. I wasted money on shop-bought treatments, and they didn't work. Go to the vet - they will advise what to get. :)
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • giggs11
    giggs11 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    Eels100 wrote:
    Vets charge more than they should?

Hmmm ... when I buy my dog and cat treatments from the vet, I know that I can phone up for advice if I need it, and I know that the vet can advise me on what's best for them. I have my doubts that I would get such help from a website, and if I did I doubt I would trust it. I'm happy to pay a bit extra in return for the peace of mind I get. I'm all for moneysaving and shopping around but I'm not keen to undermine the service I get at the moment.

just because i buy routine stuff such as wormers and flea treatments from a website doesn't mean i can't still get advice from my vet if i need it! this is after all a moneysaving website and we all want to save a few pounds where we can and its true that vets charge a lot more for these things than they should, a guy on the other thread said his vet charges almost double for the frontline than it costs online!!!
  • Fairy22
    Fairy22 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou to everyone for your ideas,I'm hoping that I've got rid of them now with the spray and the frontline. xx
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies if this is on the wrong board ....

... one of our neighbour's cats has been visiting our house (the kids are mad for her!) but she's left behind a few hoppy little friends and we have been bitten to death.

She is now banned from the house, and I've hoovered and washed bedding. I don't really want to spray insecticide around if I can avoid it, but I wondered if there were any old-fashioned anti-cat flea tips I should know about?

Thanks!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport