Should People Have Children If They Cant Afford Them

Options

Comments

• Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you can afford to feed, clothe, shelter them and keep them warm = yes!

If you rely on family/tax payer for money (when you don't have a bonafide reason) then no.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Popcorn time!

I reckon I can just about nip to the supermarket to buy some and get back in time for this being moved to DT.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Buzzybee90 wrote: »
    If you can afford to feed, clothe, shelter them and keep them warm = yes!

If you rely on family/tax payer for money (when you don't have a bonafide reason) then no.
    Exactly that includes needing CTC ( child tax credits?). We waited until we could afford children ie we had a house and I could finish work to look after them. We did have child benefit but that was saved for them for school trips / music lessons which if we had to ie if it was scrapped we probably could have gone without something else to afford them.
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Work out the cost of raising a child then wait 'til you can afford it...it'll never happen!
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • moomoomama27
    moomoomama27 Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    Options
    I think you should be in a position whereby you do not to to rely on state handouts. So conceiving children whilst on JSA or income support should be a no-no. Difficult to say with re: to child tax credits etc... as so many families qualify.
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Poor people fill their council houses with kids and use them as an income.
    Middle class have what they can afford, usually one or two because they have to foot the bill

The government needs to do state vasectomies when a man applies for benefits and reverse it when he finds a job. Otherwise a benefits couple end up having 4 kids who largely become no hopers and those four will have 4 each so the next generation sees 4 second generation middle class working to support 16 poor class children, and so it continues.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Trouble is the "smug marrieds" of today can become the lone parents of tomorrow -no-one can predict whether future plans will in reality remain viable.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For women there is of course the biological clock ticking. Not so much for men. This will affect when (or if) a couple decide to have children.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

The government needs to do state vasectomies when a man applies for benefits and reverse it when he finds a job.

Excellent, a whole new branch of Eugenics.:mad:
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Excellent, a whole new branch of Eugenics.:mad:

And why not? Society is a business. The system needs tax revenues to keep the whole thing going. what is the point in having a load of no hopers breeding like rabbits?

Take Africa. What Bob Geldof should have given them was the snip. No point 30 years later still banging on about it, some places on earth are very inhospitable. It's the process of natural selection
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure