Debt free before 35

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's been a couple of days since I've been on. I've been having headaches on and off for a while and ended up with a full on migraine last night (or even early hours of this morning!). I've never, ever had one before and seriously hope I don't get another in the near future. I can't believe how painful it was. I really feel for people who get them regularly. My head hasn't been right all day today, but much more manageable thankfully.

I've managed to add Dh's bonus to the emergency fund, so have got that at £1520.28. Pleased with that, and now just want to add another £479.72 to it before I will start overpaying debts. Despite the credit card debt being turned into a loan, in my head I'm still keeping it as the same sort of debt as it was before so that I don't become complacent with it (if that makes sense).

I've sat this evening and gone through our budget for September. I've moved the money around to the correct accounts and updated YNAB. I'm pleased to say that this month has been the 'easiest' so far with the budget and at the last week of the month I'm not 'borrowing' from next month (though I have done the big, monthly shop early, but that was more a time issue with being back in work next week!).

Tomorrow is an easy day. Though it is the last one with just me and ds for a couple of weeks (grrrrrrr for work!). I love our one-to-one time, though we have lots of budget friendly things planned for the bank holiday weekend. We need to pick up a few bits for the weekly shop (there is literally only 4 items on my list.........happy days!!). Sticking to my £20 budget should be easy. Will take £80 out for next month's weekly food budget and pop it into an envelope. That worked really well this month and I'm not trying to scrape pennies together to buy milk at the end of the month! I've also decided me and ds are going to bake a cake. Just because! We have all the ingredients here ready, so no cost involved.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I've had 2 bills today. My next account, which was £0 (woohoo!) and my Tesco credit card that had an eye watering amount on it (partly due to going away at the beginning of the month). If had all been budgeted for and the money sitting in another account. It is so nice to be able to click the 'pay whole balance' button and know it has all been budgeted for. It is scary to see how much we've actually spent during the last month. :eek: I have made about £3.50 in Tesco points, though, which will double int he Christmas boost to £7. That's one gift sorted!
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better MrsSave - I have suffered from migraines for about 5 years (mine are triggered by stress, dehydration and tiredness so I get them quite a lot at work). They knock me off my feet for about 3 days at a time when I get them, they are truly horrible.
    What a great feeling that you could pay the CC off all in one go as well. That's brilliant!
  • belleandthebudget
    Options
    MrsSave wrote: »
    It is so nice to be able to click the 'pay whole balance' button and know it has all been budgeted for.

Such a great feeling to know everything is planned for and covered! :j
  • MrsSave
    Options
    It's been a few days since I've updated here, so thought I'd log on and say hello! I watched Eastenders tonight, it was sooooo sad. I don't usually cry watching TV but this storyline got to me. It makes me feel so, so grateful to have a healthy little boy. He had an extra good night kiss tonight.

Money wise, things are as always really. No big windfall (we can dream, hey?) and no major outgoings. Did eat out this evening, but that only cost £14 for the 3 of us!

Back to work tomorrow. Not overly looking forward to it, though there is a small part of me that is a teeny bit excited :( I'm sure once I'm there and in the middle of it all, it will be good! 8 weeks and I'll be able to look for and apply for different jobs. 8 weeks isn't long.

Right, I'm going to bed. I think an early night is needed before I'm back! I aim to have a read through other diaries this week (haven't been on here much over the weekend) and catch up a little xx
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Well my first week back in work is nearly over. I also had a fast day yesterday so I'm now in bed waiting for an acceptable time to head to the kitchen for breakfast! A fast day is soooo much easier when you're in work - I didn't even have time to finsih the lunch I did take in! I have PPA this afternoon, so only this morning with the children. I have so much work to do and I'm trying to keep the weekend as free as possible to spend with my men!

My ds has really noticed that I'm back in work instead of with him. Every evening when I've got home, he's opened the door and is shouting for me before I've even switched the car off. He then helps me to bring my bags in, and spend the rest of the evening glued to my side. I don't think I've ever had as many cuddles from him. His dad usually puts him to bed, but he's been asking me to do it this week. I'm loving all the extra attention, but have to keep reminding myself I'm leaving hm everyday for work so that we can enjoy when I'm home.

Money wise, things are going well. I've had a couple of crafting sales in the past week, and the money has so far gone in our entertainment pot for an M&S dine in night and a chippy night. I'm really fancying an Indian takeaway, though. I'm blaming radio 2 for that. They're discussing curries every night whilst I'm in the car on the way home from work! :rotfl:

Dh did the food shopping this week, but followed my list so all good :rotfl: I've started adding up the cost of Christmas days out, so I'm thinking any left over money each week from the food shop will go into a Christmas envelope. £4 this week.

Is it time for food yet?? :rotfl:
  • MrsSave
    edited 6 September 2015 at 10:00PM
    Options
    Sunday evening is here. I'm already tucked up in bed! I'm in bed so early when I'm working!!

I've had a few spends this weekend. Went to Tesco Saturday afternoon for a box. £35 later..........:rotfl: I bought some reduced meat, the box, some ghee because I've decided I want to make my own homemade 'takeaway' curry and a few Saturday night treats! We had enough money in our food pot to do it, but won't be able to do it again this month!! Then today I've been and got a few Christmas presents. I've sorted through what we already have and we've got loads. We have very little left to get, and I'm hoping the majority of that will be with Tesco vouchers and their Christmas boost! :T

Had a lamb dinner this evening. I bought the lamb from the freezer section of Aldi, and it was just over £4. Wasn't convinced but thought I'd give it a go. Defrosted it in the fridge first, then this morning I sealed it and popped it into the slow cooker with a lamb oxo cube, water, mint sauce and herbs. I'm very impressed. It fell off the bone, and was yummy. I'm thinking the left overs will go into my homemade, takeaway curry! Will definitely be buying again.

I was so excited to see a new series of Strictly on last night, and then at the end it says it's not back until the end of the month. Grrrrrr!!

Reconciled my YNAB yesterday, so happy that it's all up to date now. I've also used some of my emergency fund to buy Premium Bonds, so I'm working on building the emergency fund up again now. It only takes a couple of days for the money to show in your account if you want to withdraw it though. I'm working on winning the million! May as well aim high! The loan would be gone, the mortgage would be gone, we'd think about baby number 2, we'd move and rent out our current home, put some aside for ds future (and baby number 2, and possibly 3!!), we'd have a nice holiday, we'd spend a little on clothes shopping, and after all that there would be very little left. Not that I've thought about it, of course :rotfl:

Right, a couple of pages of my book (which I've been reading for well over a month I'm sure and have only managed around 40 pages) the time for some zzzzzzzzzzz!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Well that's Monday done with. I work 4 days a week so have the day off tomorrow :) A lovely day off to spend with my son........in the supermarket! :rotfl: We have the weekly shop to do, which I'm aiming for under £20. I want this to include bird food (99p), car park for the library (50p), and a few bits of toiletries to be sent off to Syria for the appeal. Oh, and I need to include some food for us!!

The second payment has gone to the loan today. Only 58 to go :rotfl:
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Oooops......a month and a half later!

I blame work! It's keeping me busy, that's for sure. I'm still plodding along with things. I have started buying silly little things for Christmas and a few more gifts have been bought, etc. I'm finding it an expensive time of year. I do have money set to one side for Dh's gift, and I'm also trying to save a little for the sales! I have almost £50 in Tesco vouchers, which will be sent out soon. I'll be doubling these up in the boost, so will have around £100 for gifts. I'm not even sure that I'll need that many, so will sort out a few birthdays at the same time!

I've also got £100 with the Tesco Christmas saver for our food shop (and an extra £6 from them). I never, ever spend that much on a food shop.......I'm quite looking forward to it!! I'm trying really hard not to go buying clothes, but bought a new jumper and dress the other day for Winter! I've worked out that if I say no to something, I'll want even more down the line. I've decided that I'm going to give myself a clothes budget each month, so that if I want something I can get it if there is enough in the pot. I'm hoping that will mean I won't end up spending a fortune!

I've increased the entertainment budget for the next couple of months. There are lots of things happening with bonfire night, fairs, Christmas lights, Christmas markets etc.

I've also increased our food budget. It was tight every month, and we were scraping pennies together by the last week or so. It also left no room for a little treat or anything. Both me and hubby work pretty much full time, so I figured that surely we can have that extra bottle of wine on a Saturday night if we wanted or a nice piece of meat for our Sunday roast. We're earning the money so why can't we have our little treats providing we're not increasing our debt.

Anyway, only 3 days left until half term :)
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Well I'm still here!

The job that started out being for 7 or 8 weeks, turned into 14 weeks, turned into 16 weeks has now become permanent. Though I'll be working 2 days a week instead of 4. I'm so chuffed and it really means that I'll be much happier with regards to money. No worrying about how much work I'll have each month, I'll know that my pay cheque means that all our bills are paid, there will be food on the table and a little left over for treats. It's literally a little (Once our loan is paid off and ds is out of nursery, things will be so much better!!). I'm also very likely to have extra work from time to time. Woohoo!!

Financially, things are pretty much the same as they were in September. All Christmas presents have been bought without a penny being put on credit. I have a little money put aside for Boxing Day clothes sales for ds (online.......I have never done a 5am shop and don't intend to start!). We used Tesco points to boost for some gifts, and I also have vouchers from the clubcard Christmas saver for food. I'll be doing the same next year :) My emergency fund isn't really increasing, but it's not decreasing either so I'm happy.

I managed to buy a few gifts in the Black Friday sales for ds's birthday next year, and almost have him sorted! I also already have birthday gifts sorted for the first 4 months of the year.

Our big task at the moment is eating our way through the freezer to make room for Christmas freezer food! I like to keep our freezer full as I feel happy knowing that we always have plenty of food in the house. don't have room for our Christmas Eve food and other bits and bobs for over Christmas at the moment though!!

I really am going to try to keep this a little more updated! Promise!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts