Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    Cheers.

If I do cancel am I then fully committed or can I back out of the cancellation?

Just seen a few people on here claiming they never got a call from retentions before the cancellation date so the cancellation bluff essentially backfired.

You can just phone and say you changed your mind and want to stay. I've had a number of calls - and have done every year I've gone through this. We are not big spenders - I think our average bill has been around £30 since we joined 9 years ago.
  • RedDwarf82
    Options
    Is this the deal whereby line rental is £17.40/mth (£208.80 for the year), with unlimited 'free' broadband, free router but £9.95 p&p, & £50 M&S voucher?
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips/21-09-2016/#bband

£184 + £20 for the year.
  • RedDwarf82
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    Had a call back today while I was working from home. Cut a long story short I've been offered everything I currently have for £16 a month:

TV M
    phone XL with multi-talk add on for mobiles etc
    BB 50Mbps
    And a new router

Engineer is booked for friday afternoon to try and resolve the broadband and he should have a look at the Tivo box too.

I mentioned I'd signed up for the Sky offer via MSE and after she checked whether it was connected or not we discussed offers. We've been with them for 9 years so she said it was much better to give loyal customers a good deal then to lose them.

I was told I'd get everything in writing so wont count my chickens until I see that but I'm pretty happy. Need to try my hand with O2 now :D

When you get your new contract can you share how the £16/month price has been reached? (discounts, rolling credit, etc.)
  • NurseMoneySaver1122
    NurseMoneySaver1122 Posts: 273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 October 2016 at 3:04PM
    Options
    RedDwarf82 wrote: »

Oh no, didn't realise it ended 29th Sept :-( Thought it was still going as a couple people had still mentioned it.

So I guess the best current offer is the £17.40/mth line rental (£208.80 for the year) with free broadband + £9.95 p&p, after all
  • latecomer
    Options
    When you get your new contract can you share how the £16/month price has been reached? (discounts, rolling credit, etc.)

Will do. Still waiting for written confirmation
  • latecomer
    Options

The original deal was much cheaper than this (see details in your link)- potentially £64 including an account credit. this what what I discussed with Virgin.
  • RedDwarf82
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    The original deal was much cheaper than this (see details in your link)- potentially £64 including an account credit. this what what I discussed with Virgin.
    With an estimated speed of 2.9-6.8 Mbps for my home I only used the Fibre Broadband (38 Mbps) offer to negotiate.
    I could certainly have tried to bluff.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My in laws were paying £111 a month for 150mb broadband, all sky sports and big tv package, extra box in bedroom and of course telephone line. A quick call to retentions got the bill down to £78.00 a month
  • Scottrobson
    Options
    Phoned and complained about price hike. It seems as though Virgin has this twice a year but realised this is because I started my contract half way either prior of or after the price index rise, have to negotiate twice a year, obviously the price rise this year is being brought forward and won't happen in February 2017 or so I'm told - we will wait and See!!.
    Already had a good deal compared to some deals other people have shared.
    I have Tivo M +, 50 meg broadband (funny checked download speed last night and my download speed was 56meg, free calls on a weekend but never use phone. Costing £33.49 a month. We also pay £5 extra for netfix.

We have exactly the same deal but with the increase it would have taken it to £36.98, the advisor gave us £3 credit for 6 months (that coinside's when our contract is up next). And he also gave us netflix free for 6 months saving us £5 a month on that. So total bill is £33.98, line rental included and free netflix.

We didn't have to sign into a new contract either.

We have about £17 worth of different credit on our account to bring it down to this. Obviously come June it is back to negotiating a new deal.

Tivo is slow but this may be because it is full and I need to delete some things from it.
    We hammer the Internet and use approx 100meg of data a month, the Internet never faults and can easily sustain 2 phones, a tablet a computer and the TV.

1st sales person was a cowboy and didn't listen. Called back a couple days later and the sales person was really nice and pleasant ( he said he was retentions).

Good luck everyone who has to call, sorted mine in 15 mins.
  • Morts82
    Options
    I called and cancelled because of slow broadband speeds. I used the price hike as a way of escaping without being charged.
    I received a call from retentions I was offered 200mb broadband to replace the 50mb I had. I have M tv and phone. I was paying £35 pre hike. I'm now going to pay £21 until July and £28 after. I can still cancel within 14 days if the speeds are not satisfactory. win/win.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback