PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 16th October 2017

Options
Valli
Valli Posts: 24,781 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 19 October 2017 at 8:44AM in Old style MoneySaving

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

[/B] Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour
- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday Lounge

Level 1

Open windows
Empty bin
clear gibble
sort newspapers & magazines - recycle
Wipe coasters, sticky switches and door handles
Clear ash from fire if you've a woodburner/real fire
Polish coffee tables and lamp tables
Plump cushions

Level 2
Wipe or vacuum upholstery
Dust furnishings
see to cut flowers
Wipe sill

Level 3

Wipe skirtings
Dust light fittings
Sweep/mop/vacuum floor - use the edging tool to clean all edges
Check for cobwebs

Extras
S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom
MAD half hour - could be self improvement or nibbling at a big task
Half term looms - playdates?
Make a social arrangement - me time is important
Drink more water!

Tuesday- Bathroom and on sweet (sic)

simple list - but effective

remove all gibble
fling towels in wash
scrub bath, loo and sink. THOROUGHLY inc under rims and outside...

fling bleach down all holes...

dust everywhere

polish mirrors and any glass

sweep and mop floor

S&S kitchen
MAD half hour...

Wonderful Wednesday - pick a room in dire need

If you have 15 minutes...

Clear out all gibble and rehome
BIN all rubbish
Straighten and neaten
If there's a bed in here make it or change it
If there is seating in here make sure it is sittable-on.

If you have half an hour

All the above plus wipe switches and door handles
Sweep, mop or vacuum the floor

If you have even longer

Dust everywhere
Wipe sills and windowframes
Deweb dusty corners
Clean the windows

EXTRAS

S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom
Rubbish out to the bins - don't forget to rinse out what you intend to recycle
Check you have candles and matches and a torch where you can find them in the dark.
HHI
if you have the time do a MAD half hour
Make a me-time plan for sometime SOOOOON

Thrilling Thursday GROUNDHOG DAY - pick another room in dire need OR
go back to yesterday's...

If you have 15 minutes...

Clear out all gibble and rehome
BIN all rubbish
Straighten and neaten
If there's a bed in here make it or change it
If there is seating in here make sure it is sittable-on.

If you have half an hour

All the above plus wipe switches and door handles
Sweep, mop or vacuum the floor

If you have even longer

Dust everywhere
Wipe sills and windowframes
Deweb dusty corners
Clean the windows

EXTRAS

S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom
Rubbish out to the bins - don't forget to rinse out what you intend to recycle
Check you have candles and matches and a torch where you can find them in the dark.
HHI
if you have the time do a MAD half hour
Make a me-time plan for sometime SOOOOON
[/COLOR]
Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Comments

• Cheeky_Girrrl
    Options
    Thanks Valli - I’m in after an absence for a few weeks.

Kitchen FINALLY complete :T ....

now I’ve decided to do up my bathroom :eek:
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm here - thanks Valli :A I'll be in as best I can but I'm so tired at the moment that anything more than work isn't really happening. Still, only one more week until half term!

Marvellous Monday Lounge

Level 1
    Open windows
    clear gibble
    Wipe coasters, sticky switches and door handles
    Polish coffee tables and lamp tables

Level 2
    Wipe or vacuum upholstery
    Dust furnishings
    Wipe sill

Level 3
    Wipe skirtings
    Dust light fittings
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floor - use the edging tool to clean all edges
    Check for cobwebs

Extras
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour - could be self improvement or nibbling at a big task
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread Valli. Managed to get most of last week's tasks done (mostly last night while waiting to go pick up the Husband from the station. Think we're almost up to date with laundry - feel sorry for the WM!

Have had my sunday night bath and sorted clothes etc. for the morning, plus taken stuff out of the freezer ready for tomorrow's dinner. Now it's time for bed, hope you've all had a good weekend!
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 4,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you Valli. And thank you Natty for last week's lists.

Today didn't work out the way I was hoping - as I was sitting with mum all day I took a couple of notebooks with me, and the plan was to use one for meal plans and the other for a Toots list. Unfortunately mum wasn't well so she needed 100% of my attention for most of the day. It's the first time I've actually had to feed her - she usually manages this herself - and it just about broke my heart. At least it gave dad a break, and my brother was day off so he was able to come and help with the moving and handling before he went back home to fix the leak coming through his bedroom ceiling! I came home and ordered pizza in for tea - so much for healthy eating :o Tomorrow is another day!

pigpen, you're right I do know which are the 'right' foods and you've made me appreciate the fact that although I'm carrying too much weight it isn't causing me physical pain. I'd offer you gentle hugs but you may not be a lover of hugs and I'm near enough for a slung fluffy mule to hit my butt if you threw it at me :D
    YL little by little we'll both get there :)

LameWolf I do hope that glass is now empty and you are thoroughly hydrated.

And I can actually do something on the list tomorrow - thank you Valli Bottle of water is in the fridge ready for work tomorrow.

Sweet dreams flyladies xx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
  • PiggyBankShaker
    PiggyBankShaker Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 15 October 2017 at 11:35PM
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread Valli and for last week's, too, Natty. I definitely did more housework at the beginning of the week as a result of the thread, but my chest infection caught up with me in the second half and I hardly did anything. Fingers crossed I'm feeling better so I can get back on it! My living room needs some attention!

Here's wishing everyone a healthy and productive week.
    • Mortgage over-payments to date: = £16,746
    • Original redemption date: August 2043
    • Current redemption date: July 2041
    • Debt: £15,930
    • Savings: £12,430
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,666 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for threads. I've been vaguely reading but fairly busy this week with work then my brother staying (which at least prompted tidying and organising food etc). Now a "normal" week apart from the report writing I have to catch up on following 2 busy week/weekends. At least I'm starting with a fairly tidy house.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Himself has a new suit jacket and I have eyebrows, no 'manly stubble' and skin that reacted so strongly to threading that they stopped for fear of making me bleed. I really must get organised and schedule face defurring visits for any other week in the month than this one.

After some badly timed comments about the wedding that is not going to be happening this year, he made something vaguely resembling food just over half an hour ago, having hidden for the intervening six hours. It went into the bin after the first five (I was hungry) attempts.

However, he has cleaned up, as he came back to an immaculate kitchen.

And I'm now going back to bed.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,000 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm here.. maybe not getting much done as I have to have a rocket placed under me to get anything done.

I'm still trying to get the kitchen reasonable.. and I have a huge pile of stuff in the front room to get shifted including an armchair.

OH at college until 4 and at work 5-close.. so he won't be any use tomorrow either..

I need to jiggle bills about, maybe pay one or 2 and finalise my Christmas present list .. it is pretty much done but final ideas need to be put down.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • dancemum
    dancemum Posts: 2,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm in thank you Valli and Natty for the lists.

I have filled the wm and put flea drops on to the cat.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the list Valli and morning all. Hugs where needed.

Will get as much as I can done from the list before the paid stuff.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family