• Smed
    Smed Posts: 40 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2017 at 12:41AM
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    A la football chant..

"Is smed Anthorn in disguise"...

Repeat ad nauseam.

I don't understand the point you are attempting to make. If I am or if I am not so what?

Read this thread. I just posted a short introduction and people asked for more information and then proceeded to attack me using that information as ammunition. Since then I've been on the defence. Now I'm accused of really being someone else. Where do you people come from? Are you all actually paranoid Schizophrenics?

Wikipedia -"Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to understand what is real.[2] Common symptoms include false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, hearing voices that others do not hear, reduced social engagement and emotional expression, and a lack of motivation." Look familiar?

Really I am not going to post any more information about myself and put myself at risk of further abuse.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Smed wrote: »
    There you go yet again referring to "higher cost" without a like for like comparison. Higher cost than what?
    I already linked (at post #126) to a well-known comparison site which lists platform and trading fees for the mainstream players - there are brokers such as Charles Stanley, Cavendish and Close that have no dealing fees and 0.25% annual platform fees, which, I think you'll find, is a cheaper proposition than £1/month plus 0.45%. Cheaper but not necessarily better, hence my repeated question about what you feel you're getting that justifies that extra cost.
    I find it curious though that you think £1 is a great amount of money.
    I find it curious that you keep feeling the need to put words in my mouth that I haven't used - please highlight any post where I said that £1 is a great amount of money.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't understand the point you are attempting to make. If I am or if I am not so what?

Read this thread. I just posted a short introduction and people asked for more information and then proceeded to attack me using that information as ammunition. Since then I've been on the defence. Now I'm accused of really being someone else. Where do you people come from? Are you all actually paranoid Schizophrenics?

Wikipedia -"Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to understand what is real.[2] Common symptoms include false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, hearing voices that others do not hear, reduced social engagement and emotional expression, and a lack of motivation." Look familiar?

Really I am not going to post any more information about myself and put myself at risk of further abuse.

Right so the following assumes you are fundamentally not trolling.

You came on this site to have a general chat about finance and investments, but the majority if threads are very specific an involve either general guidance and recommendations about how to improve someone's financial position or very specific details about particular aspects of saving or investment. In either of those cases personal details are needed in a very general case to determine what might be one or more preferred options.

You've taken some low grade humour and sarcasm as being attacked, I can see both sides of that, however you've then gone on to promote a very poor product that you currently use as a recommended investment tool. When corrected about that by some experienced posters you have then become very defensive and refused to see the drawbacks with this niche app.

It may well be that you are moderately wealthy and this is just a bit of a hobby like low level gambling and that's fine. However that isn't going to change your financial position and that is what many people posting threads are really after.

No personal information is specific, for example we don't really know what you do work wise though it can help. But to provide any useful guidance than a list of info is needed, this might include approximate age, investment objectives by which I mean retirement at a particular age, increasing income, maintaining capital, house purchase etc, and an idea of approximate income and expenditure and timeframe. With that info then people can suggest how you might approach investments, the moneybox thing is a distraction, it's a poor way of investing unless you are simply playing and by its fixed fee and high percentage charges will always be more expensive than one of the more established alternatives, at least for sums that are in any way going to make any difference.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,052 Forumite
    Options

I was 99% sure
    Wikipedia -"Schizophrenia is a mental disorder ...
    But the Wiki quote clinches it for me

I await a dozen or more 'final posts' :D
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 21 April 2017 at 8:15AM
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    It's relatively clear that he isn't claiming to be a banker, but claiming to be someone from Eskbank. Do keep up Tony.
    TheShape wrote: »
    Anthorn's most recent post was 24/03/17 @ 12:51am

Smed's first post 24/03/17 @ 1:15pm

Could be entirely coincidental, just like Superman and Clark Kent never being around at the same time!

Read this thread. I just posted a short introduction and people asked for more information and then proceeded to attack me using that information as ammunition.
    You basically launched a new thread to introduce your new persona without wanting to discuss anything, and within a few posts were talking about how you had just come across some other 'micro investing' thread which was in your view "packed with attacks" on the poster Anthorn and observing that the same people from that thread were now posting on "my thread".

You later postulated that most people on the forum were all unemployed fantasists who pretend to be rich, and that you'd had a laugh at the idea that anyone dispensing free advice or guidance was an IFA because IFAs wouldn't try to help people for free, they were most likely people dreaming of being IFAs but without having two pennies to rub together themselves.

You posted on the 'post your last investment' thread that you had just cashed out profits from your moneybox investment in order to start a "reverse savings challenge" where you put a reducing amount of money into a savings account each week so that a year from now you have to deposit one pound into it. This from a person who claims to have the financial resources and complex affairs to have an IFA and an accountant.

The moneybox investment which you were speaking about taking profits out of, being the same product that 'Anthorn' had so fervently advocated and defended on other threads in the face of others saying it was overpriced and a gimmick, and which you ended up advocating and being defensive about on this one too.

After you had said that the posters here were living in a fantasy world talking about investing money they didn't have, and that the IFAs were not IFAs because they posted at 'all hours' so were probably unemployed without pennies to rub together, someone called you a troll - someone who posts inflammatory statements looking for a reaction.

Your very next post was on the 'post your last investment' thread, claiming that instead of (or as well as) your moneybox/savings challenge endeavours, your last investment was really into the unregulated bonds offered by London Capital and Finance - one of the most frequently disparaged unregulated investments posted about in the forum with multiple dedicated threads about how bad it is that they are allowed to be advertised to retail investors. In response to your post, some even-handed comments were made on that 'last investment' thread about the LC&F offering, suggesting an alternative. You stated here that you would not be responding to them. That would be consistent with someone who does not actually have an LC&F investment and was just saying he did as a trolling statement.
    Since then I've been on the defence. Now I'm accused of really being someone else. Where do you people come from? Are you all actually paranoid Schizophrenics?
    Coupled with the fact that after you had introduced this new persona you'd immediately started talking about a thread in which Anthorn was 'ganged up on', and that you use and defend the same niche and unpopular investments -if we were to compare posting styles, mannerisms and use of language, this would further support the assertion that you are Anthorn under a different username.

Wikipedia -"Schizophrenia is...
    On the previous microinvesting threads, Anthorn liked to use a common word as an insult to others, and then post the definition (e.g. "Pedant"). Rather than using a dictionary definition he would use Wikipedia instead. Unusual, but same as what you do.

When Anthorn gets flustered and wants to dismiss his critics, he starts to say LOL a lot (Forum Search > Advanced Search> All Open Forums ; Posts made by: Anthorn ; Keywords: Lol ; Show As: Posts). Similarly here you used it four times in four consecutive posts (#127-139). Most of the rest of us use it sparingly, as it stopped being cool years ago.

Anthorn mentioned just before he stopped posting that he was off on holiday to France for six weeks. In post #100 on this thread, Malthusian was talking about your alleged LC&F investment, posting at 11.46am. You replied that he was "So sad", having "posted that at 10.46am" because he didn't work for a living. Clearly what you had mistakenly done while on your little trip to France was mentally taken off an hour from the time displayed onscreen to assert what time he would have posted that in the UK, without realising that the MSE forum was already displaying UK time.
    Don't worry, the fact that you have set your profile location for this account to Lincolnshire (a good ten minutes drive from Anthorn's place in Cambridgeshire) should be enough to put us off the scent.

Only the people with >5000 posts get to see everyones' IP addresses so your personal secrets are safe from most casual users of the site.

:beer:
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ^^^^Clouseau strikes again!
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Also interesting that Smed/Anthorn's last post in the Savings & Investments forum was in a thread about a London Capital & Finance clone where he accused other posters of libel for warning a new poster not to invest in it. The only thing Smed has done apart from squabble with other posters is to talk about London Capital & Finance itself as if it is a sensible investment.

A shill playing a very long game, or just stupid?
  • eskbanker
    Options
    "Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to understand what is real.[2] Common symptoms include false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, hearing voices that others do not hear, reduced social engagement and emotional expression, and a lack of motivation." Look familiar?
    Indeed, looks very familiar:

false beliefs - a paranoid conviction that one is being personally 'attacked' when investment philosophies and products are being debated

unclear or confused thinking - asserting that anyone posting during the daytime is therefore unemployed

hearing voices that others do not hear - the siren call of dubious off-piste products perhaps?

reduced social engagement and emotional expression - ad hominem playground responses rather than engaging in meaningful debate

lack of motivation - no apparent desire to benefit and learn from sensible discussion

Anyway, despite this tongue-in-cheek response, schizophrenia is no laughing matter and is a serious medical condition that shouldn't be trivialised....
  • eskbanker
    Options
    Anyway I have to go do something useful too. The market beckons.
    Sheep or cattle? ;)
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Anyway I have to go do something useful too. The market beckons.
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Sheep or cattle? ;)

Financial, surely??! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills