First post

Options
Hello everyone. Been lurking for a while and now signed up to get some ideas. I have a regular savings account with Virgin Money and I invest with Moneybox App General investment Account and fully invested in a Stocks and Shares ISA and a Cash Isa. Still a fair amount of cash to invest.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When lurking you may have come across previous threads along the same lines, in which the usual response is that in order to give any meaningful guidance, significantly more information is required.

Potential uses for your surplus money include pension contributions, property and P2P as well as S&S and cash, but so much depends on your financial circumstances and objectives - age, family, dependents, home ownership, job, pension, health, current assets and investments, attitude to risk, etc, etc....

What do you consider to be 'a fair amount of cash'?!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    "First Post"

Your second post could perhaps have a more helpful title? :D

What did you want ideas on? You dont give any clue. You say your S&S ISA is "fully invested" but what in? Venezuelan Oil futures, HangSeng tracker, Tesco? Did you want ideas on that or what?

Do you have a pension?
  • Smed
    Smed Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry. I just made a quick introduction post because I will be posting in this forum. I can't give the information asked for on a public forum. I have an independent financial adviser.

I don't see a thread for introductions.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Smed wrote: »
    No, it's a forum community that literally millions of people might look at from time to time, so unlike some forums its not really the sort of place that expects new members to post just to say "hi" before they're allowed to engage in discussion.

Basically if you have some issue or opinion you want people to spend some time commenting on and discussing, then start a thread ; if you have an opinion on a point raised on some other existing thread, then add a comment to that existing thread. Simple as that. But if everyone who ever found the MSE forum just turned up and said, "hi, i'm a new user, nothing to say at the moment but I'm sure there will be some reason for me to want a username to participate in the future, so hi everybody", the forum would collapse under the weight of 300,000 empty threads and nobody could see the wood for the trees or find any real content to comment on.

Hope that explains why there are not lots of loving welcomes and a big red carpet rolled out for you, until you actually have something to engage with.

:)
  • AnotherJoe
    Options
    I'm sorry. I just made a quick introduction post because I will be posting in this forum. I can't give the information asked for on a public forum.

You're not going to get very far in these forums without background detail, very few financial matters are clear cut.

If you arent prepared to answer even basic questions such as if you have a pension almost certainly this isn't the forum area for you.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sorry. I just made a quick introduction post because I will be posting in this forum. I can't give the information asked for on a public forum. I have an independent financial adviser.

Shouldn't you be asking the adviser, you're paying him after all.
  • Smed
    Smed Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I am not looking for advice. Just signed up to have a few discussions about savings. I would not ask for advice unless I had details of qualifications and experience of those who were giving the advice. But why the interrogation?

I have an independent financial adviser and an accountant.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am not looking for advice. Just signed up to have a few discussions about savings. I would not ask for advice unless I had details of qualifications and experience of those who were giving the advice. But why the interrogation?

Most people who post actually have a question they want to be answered, presumably if you've been lurking for a while you've realised that? I'm not quite sure what the point was if you have an IDA and aren't asking a question? If you have an IFA and accountant, how come you have a chunk of cash to invest, haven't they advised what to do?

Many people ask questions to get different views, it's certainly not the place to need details of qualifications from anyone who posts although knowing experience can help.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Somebody I know has been asking around all his life.

What house should I buy, what job should I get, how should I handle this?

The people you know in person is a limited pool, and some of them could be a real doozy in the idiocy they come out with. The internet is a great extender of the reach for achieving perspective.

Ideally you want the full range of responses, from put it all on RED, to get 1.2% on a five year fixed rate bond.
  • AnotherJoe
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    Somebody I know has been asking around all his life.

What house should I buy, what job should I get, how should I handle this?

The people you know in person is a limited pool, and some of them could be a real doozy in the idiocy they come out with. The internet is a great extender of the reach for achieving perspective.

Ideally you want the full range of responses, from put it all on RED, to get 1.2% on a five year fixed rate bond.

I've seen some misleading advice, but that takes the biscuit. Its BLACK you fool, black.

:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport