MSE News: Sky to increase prices for some...

Options
Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 1 March 2018 at 5:54PM in Broadband & internet access
Some Sky broadband customers will see the price of their monthly contracts rise on 1 April...
Read the full story:
'Sky to increase prices for some broadband customers in April'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    will be interesting to see what they do. as my deal ends in June anyway.
  • Chris_M_3
    Options
    So I left BT in January after they put their prices up and then joined Sky!

Now they are putting their prices up!! :mad:
    100% debt free
    House - bought and paid for
    Contents - bought and paid for

:beer:
    £12k in '12 No.198: £12,554/£12,000
  • Makeandsave
    Makeandsave Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sick of sky putting there prices up! I paid a £10 admin fee last time to get a deal now 6 months later the prices are going up and it looks like i will have to pay them another admin fee! Think i might leave.
    Jan Wins: .
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I joined Sky as a Sky Broadband and Sky Talk customer on a 12 month contract last June. I don't have Sky TV, so was surprised to get an email from them yesterday offering me a broadband package which costs more than they charge me now. I think I'll pass unless this imminent price increase is hefty:

As a valued Sky TV customer, we have two dead-good broadband offers for you.

18 months of scary fast Sky Fibre Unlimited for just £25 a month, including Line Rental (plus a one-off set-up fee of £9.95).

Or

12 months of Sky Broadband Unlimited for just £20 a month, including Line Rental (plus a one-off set-up fee of £19.95).

We've made switching providers monstrously simple too. Our Switch Squad will do all the hard work of talking to your current provider so you don't have to.
  • krisl
    krisl Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2018 at 9:57PM
    Options
    Can anyone explain why you can get out of your contract early on telephone/broadband but not TV?

My TV is going up £1.50 but my broadband isn!!!8217;t changing.

I had hoped to move to BT for TV and telecoms.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chris_M wrote: »
    So I left BT in January after they put their prices up and then joined Sky! Now they are putting their prices up!! :mad:
    Every provider puts up the prices every year. If the provider you are joining hasn't put up their prices in the last nine months then the next price rise is coming up very soon. Even if they last put up their prices 11 months ago, there will be another rise before your year is up. Most providers have several rises during each year, one for line rental and various features, another for call charges.
  • Chris_M_3
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »
    Every provider puts up the prices every year. If the provider you are joining hasn't put up their prices in the last nine months then the next price rise is coming up very soon. Even if they last put up their prices 11 months ago, there will be another rise before your year is up. Most providers have several rises during each year, one for line rental and various features, another for call charges.
    Irrelevant.
    As a new customer, I agreed to abide by the terms and conditions of the contract. Sky and BT before it, have decided to break their side of the contract by increasing the price we both agreed to.

Companies should stick to the contract terms until it's time for renewal. Only then should they be free to raise their prices.
    100% debt free
    House - bought and paid for
    Contents - bought and paid for

:beer:
    £12k in '12 No.198: £12,554/£12,000
  • tomthered
    Options
    Irrelevant.
    As a new customer, I agreed to abide by the terms and conditions of the contract. Sky and BT before it, have decided to break their side of the contract by increasing the price we both agreed to.

Companies should stick to the contract terms until it's time for renewal. Only then should they be free to raise their prices.

I agree totally, its a bloody contract not a free for all. Electric and Gas utilities offer a fixed price / term contract. Only at the end of this will it be changed. Why are phone companies any different. They know inflation will go up; factor it in to your prices. Dont act like highway robbery men
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But the contract you agreed is not a fixed price contract. Whether it should be is another issue entirely.
    AFAIK, only TT currently offer a fixed price contract.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Irrelevant.

Which state they can put up the prices, if you don't like those terms don't sign up to anyone unless they can guarantee no price rise within the minimum term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure