My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help.

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 October 2016 at 12:33PM
    Options
    Annbarbs

Please don't get worked up again regarding the inheritance - you're now aware that neither sister has received any inheritance.

with regards GPs surgeries Elsien's idea is an excellent one after all what doesn't suit one person other may prefer.

But I don't know that, do I.
    My sister says she and my other sister have not got their inheritance yet.
    But how do I know she is telling the truth?
    She and my other sister could have taken their share of the money first before my sister got ill.
    We don't know for sure and I don't know if there is any way we can find out

My Solicitor and I only have my sisters word that she didn't
    We were not there when the house was sold so we don't know if or not my sisters did take their share first.

As for the GP's I think I should visit the surgeries I want to register with and talk to the receptionist first.

That way I will get an idea what they are like and if the staff seem rude then I won't register at that particular surgery.

But now I have got another problem.
    The outside roof outside my bedroom windows is leaking again and my HA only fixed it 2 months ago.

See my last thread post 37:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5495130&page=2

So now every time it rains the rain is pouring down on top of my Gas Meter box which is outside my bedroom windows.
    I have had this problem twice before and each time I have had to make a formal complaint to my HA because the repairs team made me wait months before they would fix it.

This time when I complained they did fix it after 2 months but now the outside roof is leaking again when it rains and the repair was only done 2 months ago.

So they did not do the repair properly as it should not be leaking again after only 2 months after what the workman did.

So now I have got to go through the hassle of reporting the repair again then waiting for my HA to do it and they make you wait a long time.

If the rain is pouring onto my Gas Meter box outside then it could put my Gas out.

I am worried about this and it was running onto my Gas Meter Box before but the HA still would not fix it right away. They made me wait a long time which is not right.

And I cannot talk to my sister because she won't speak to me on the phone.
    And I have not got my inheritance and I should have done as the house is now sold.

I think if the situation with my ill sister does not change after a month.
    Then I should contact my Solicitor again and if he won't help.
    Then I should at least seek legal advice from another Solicitor because I have not got my money.
    And now I am worried about the real possibility that I might not get my inheritance and I don't know what to do.

I am not happy living here but cannot move because I am on benefits and I cannot afford the deposit for a private flat as I want to move to.

As you can see from my other threads and from what I told you here it is not so good for me here.

If I don't get my inheritance it will cause me a lot of hardship.
    Because I will have to stay here and be stuck here with a HA that does not maintain the property as they should.
    And no support from the MH services.
    My CMHT won't take me back, I know from past experiences when my old GP refereed me back to them again last year.
    They would not even see me.

Now it has all gone wrong and I now face the possibility that I might have to wait a long time for my inheritance or even not get it at all.

And I don't know what to do.
    I almost feel like giving up hoping and accepting that I will have to stay here and on benefits for the rest of my life.
    But I don't want to do that and I don't want that to happen.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How is your sister who is in hospital - do you know? Do you care?

In your shoes, my prime concern would be how my sister is coping with hospital, is she getting better, not when I will get what my mother had bequeathed to me. I would trust my sisters and my solicitor more.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Barbara. Let me take your last post step by step.

There is no reason to disbelieve your sisters - they would be in trouble for fraud if they have taken your inheritance, so I doubt that has happened. You have to remember (if I have this correctly) that one sister is in hospital due to her mental state and the other sister has had to move out of her family home - they must both be quite traumatised by all this, and keeping on at them for your money will only add to their stress.

As we have all said all along, just be patient!

If you discharge your current solicitor and employ another one you will have to pay the bill for your solicitor - this could come into thousands of pounds already, it will certainly be hundreds.

Regarding the leak. Outside meters both gas and electric are constructed to withstand extreme weather, your gas will not go out. Just report it to the housing authority and ask for a timescale when it will be fixed. If it isn't fixed within this time, go back to them.

Your immediate concern should be this - which is just a quick phonecall, and finding a new GP. Have you thought what would happen if, say, you got physically ill and needed (for example) antibiotics? You would have nowhere to go. So this has to be a priority for you, as many people have said.

Here's a question for you - what do you do with your spare time? Do you have hobbies, or clubs or societies you belong to? I suspect not, which is why all these things that you can do little about like your inheritance are so prevalent in your mind. Maybe now is the time to look for such hobbies and interests?
  • Anthear
    Anthear Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Annbarbs - trust me - ALL properties get the odd maintenance problem - whether they are privately rented, owned or HA! I am sure there are plenty of private tenants who have had issues with private landlords simply taking the money and doing NO repairs. So at least you have a process to go through to report the problem.

You WILL get your inheritance. You just have to wait. I have had to wait for mine and my mother died over TWO YEARS ago. Sometimes things take longer than anticipated and things take as long as they take. It is REALLY frustrating. I get that. It is for me too. There is lots of unfairness in the world.

You don't know if your sisters have their inheritance. If they do you can't do anything about it, so why fret and worry.

PLEASE register with a GP and ask to the referred to the CMHT. Last time you didn't meet their threshold for treatment. You MAY now. No one will know unless they see you, so ask to be seen urgently.

Please do this as a priority - maybe tomorrow? Go and see the surgeries and make your decision.

You are no worse off now than you were before your mother died. You still have somewhere to live.

You are going around in circles which is a sign that you need help. Please help yourself by seeing a Doctor this week and asking for a referral to the CMHT.
  • Newly_retired
    Options
    When (when, not if) you get your inheritance, it will first have to be used to pay your solicitor's bill. You will not get as much as you hope.
    You cannot blame the bank for that.
    You cannot blame your sisters for that.
    You are reducing the amount you will get by contacting your solicitor. Every phone call, letter or e-mail he writes is reducing your inheritance.
    Do not even think about employing another one or you could end up with almost nothing.
    And then how would you feel?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    go and sign on with a gp
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anthear wrote: »
    Annbarbs - trust me - ALL properties get the odd maintenance problem - whether they are privately rented, owned or HA! I am sure there are plenty of private tenants who have had issues with private landlords simply taking the money and doing NO repairs. So at least you have a process to go through to report the problem.

You WILL get your inheritance. You just have to wait. I have had to wait for mine and my mother died over TWO YEARS ago. Sometimes things take longer than anticipated and things take as long as they take. It is REALLY frustrating. I get that. It is for me too. There is lots of unfairness in the world.

You don't know if your sisters have their inheritance. If they do you can't do anything about it, so why fret and worry.

PLEASE register with a GP and ask to the referred to the CMHT. Last time you didn't meet their threshold for treatment. You MAY now. No one will know unless they see you, so ask to be seen urgently.

Please do this as a priority - maybe tomorrow? Go and see the surgeries and make your decision.

You are no worse off now than you were before your mother died. You still have somewhere to live.

You are going around in circles which is a sign that you need help. Please help yourself by seeing a Doctor this week and asking for a referral to the CMHT.
    I know that some of the members here are trying to talk me out of moving.
    But I have given it careful thought and have made up my mind.
    That when I get my inheritance I will move up North and make a new life for myself.

I would do it now if I could but I can't because I don't have the money and cannot afford to move now because I don't have the funds.
    But when I get my money I will have.
    I don't want to stay here with the HA or in this area for the rest of my life and I won't.

When my money comes I will start looking for another place to live up North.
    And when I get out of here, I am never going back to the Council or HA if I can help it.
    I have made my decision at that is that.

My solicitor has given me an estimate of the bill which is between £2000 and £3000.
    But he would not tell me what it is now but he said I have not gone over the limit and rung up what you said I have.

No I am no worse off than I was before my mother died but I am still no better off either.

You don't know my CMHT but I do.
    They won't take me back.
    My old GP tried twice last year but my CMHT still would not give me a keyworker.
    That's also one of the reason why I am moving.

maybe another area health trust will be different.
    And I like it up North better than here in London.
    So when I get my money I plan to use it to move.
    I think that I should also think about buying a place up North instead of renting.

I have seen places for 50k or 70k up North.
    It's true it will cost me half of my inheritance,
    But I will still have 60k and I won't be paying any rent.
    So the money could last just as long as it would if I was paying rent.

Then when it runs out I can go back on benefits again.
    But I will have a flat that is mine that I own.
    Then if I am hard up I could always see it and keep the capital.
    Though I don't think I would want to do that.

But as I want to move, I think buying a place is a better option than renting as then I would not have to worry about becoming homeless again in the future.
    I would have a home that is mine.
    I would not have to deal with any of these issues that I am facing now anymore.
    And I will be running my own ship as they say.

Using my inheritance to buy a place is a better option.
    But I will need to ask the DWP if that is or not a deprivation of capital.
    If the DWP say it is then I will just have to rent instead.
    But I must find that out because I don't want to do something that may disqualify me from claiming benefits again in the future.
    As my money won't last forever as we know.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    annbarbs wrote: »
    I
    I have seen places for 50k or 70k up North.
    It's true it will cost me half of my inheritance,
    But I will still have 60k and I won't be paying any rent.
    So the money could last just as long as it would if I was paying rent.
    Where abouts up North did you have in mind? Is there a particular town or city you have spent time in and would like to move to?
    Bear in mind that if you decide to buy a property you will also have surveys and legal fees to pay for, as well as moving costs, and if you buy a flat you will likely have management fees to pay as well. All of these things will eat in to your inheritance.
    And what would you do if expensive repairs are needed after the money is all gone?
    I can understand why it's an appealing idea but you've got to think about what you will do when the money is gone.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you been to a new GP yet? If not, go now, today, there's plenty of time left before they close.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    You seem set on this move up north into a house or flat you buy yourself. Personally I can see this being a disaster. I own an old house and have pretty much kept up with it over the years (it was my dad's before mine), but even so it cost me best part of £10k this year for general upkeep, guttering, roof repairs, etc. For £50 - £70k you will struggle to get anything that's been modernised, so there may be many running repairs that you will have to deal with - and no Housing Association or Council to fall back on to help you.

Be that as it may, it is your choice, we can only offer help and guidance. You say
    I would not have to deal with any of these issues that I am facing now anymore.
    but you would, and it would in all probability be much more difficult. You would have to organise all your own repairs, and find reliable tradesmen to do it - and believe me there are a lot of rogue builders etc out there!! Additionally you would have to find the money to be able to pay them - you would get no help at all, even if you were back on benefits.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope that you find something suitable. But I'm not optimistic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure