The Happiness Fund.

Options

Comments

• BritishBibliophile
    Options
    Well I was going to say "cloudy but dry" but then I looked out the window and it's drizzling :rotfl: Not sure how long it's been like that!

Sounds like you've had a lovely afternoon!
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is drizzling down here too now. I am looking on fleabay but just window shopping. I am going to be good. I am going to be good lol.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    I was going to switch my Tesco account to Coop but it requires a £800 payment in every month and 4 dd's and that would mess up my current direct debit payments. With me working such long hours I can't risk any mistakes or being overdrawn on my normal accounts so I will just be happy with my M&S vouchers which I am giving to mum and dad.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am getting my kitchen redone in a few weeks and have just ordered a swing seat from A**i online for £50 and free delivery.

I am hoping for a good summer as am hoping it will help me eat healthily and lose some weight and stop spending money.

I moved into this chalet bungalow three months ago and am trying to do everything that needs doing using some of the money I made by downsizing. So far two bathrooms have been redone, two bedrooms knocked into one so I have a big bedroom, two doorways blocked up and living room has had the huge stone fireplace taken out to give more room with new lighting and decorated.

Every time I feel guilty spending money I remind myself that it is futureproofing and making the place comfortable and safe. Once everything is done the savings I have made on council tax, water, insurance etc should mean I can afford to manage on mine and DH's pension even though it is halved.

I have been getting everything in sales or offers so far which has been a big help.

Fingers crossed that things do not turn out as badly financially as you feared.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    :grouphug:Hello OMG. Do you realise I live in a bungalow and I have been doing up dear housey for 9 years? I love it. Everyone thinks bungalows are for really old people they are not. It is such fun living here: Everything is really nice it isn't luxurious but it is nice and I am happy :rotfl:

I am going to be careful because of work and will be really cutting back after this month. Susan ordered the swingseat from a website she is on. It is like Groupon. I am saving for a new kitchen but while all this palaver is going on at work I will not spend out on a kitchen and will delay my plans. I am going to lose weight too, well I say it every year and nothing happens. lol. But I might try!!!!!:rotfl::dance:

I can't believe how much we have in common. Yay. Another friend. Welcome.:grouphug:
  • elona
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the lovely comments pet.

The upstairs and downstairs are like two completely different houses.

The upstairs is a loft conversion and extension and looks modern (but bodged by previous owner) and downstairs is being dragged kicking and screaming out of the 1980's and I want to make sure the electrics and plumbing are safe. The idea is to make sure I can manage the downstairs and then above is a nice private area for when DDs and SIL come over for an evening etc.

Anyone coming over is surprised when they see what has been done so far as "it is modern" but just because I am now in my sixties I don't want to live with patterned carpets, porridge coloured wallpaper and dark furniture.

I have just been trying out a new D***x light and space paint on the replastered areas and it looks lovely and fresh and lightens the downstairs. Every time I think I am making progress one of my DDs comes up with another suggestion ;)
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • savingwannabe
    edited 22 May 2016 at 8:10PM
    Options
    I can relate to that. Mine was out of the 1950s when I moved in! It has been worth it. All that is left now is my kitchen.

Do you have any tips or advice for me? Please post again you sound lovely even if you don't have advice.
  • elona
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been scouring this forum for advice and so far I have been put off I**a (difficult to fit), Wr*n (poor after service) but was warming to the idea of Schr***er if it was in a really good sale.

I was considering a Shaker style or traditional kitchen but accidentally found the builders I have who are very good and they have a friend with contacts to a German kitchen company that I did not think I could afford. In a few weeks I should have an ivory gloss kitchen diner with a breakfast bar and wood look countertops. It looks great on paper so hoping it is as good as it seems. Sorry if I sound like an advert but I am quite excited :j

I am not looking forward to having the kitchen ripped out and a wall removed but it should be worth it. I found that the more research I did the more confused I got but did end up knowing what I did not want IYKWIM.

Sometimes you just have to go with your instincts and if you have a good builder that is a lot of the battle. and Ho**ens for example will give someone in the trade good discounts, even better if you take advantage of their sales. If there are any independant kitchen showrooms near you you could take advantage of them changing the display units and nab a good deal if they have something you love.
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Blimey that sounds fab. My builder is John and he doesn't really have many contacts. He has fitted a kitchen for my sister and he was good. We shall see when I can afford a kitchen that will be a while away. I am so pleased to hear about yours though. Well done you. lol.
  • savingwannabe
    edited 24 May 2016 at 9:01PM
    Options
    I put some pots of petunias out today. They look great. I also finished off mowing the grass. The heat was really draining probably because my blood sugar was so low. lol. But all in all it's been a lovely day.

It is half term next week. I will try to do something to raise money or be financially smart. I really do think the Coop account is difficult to set up but I will spend a day trying it maybe.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure