Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 8th Jun 15, 11:34 PM
    • 1,982Posts
    • 8,981Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Was Mortgage Free until 52!!!
    • 8th Jun 15, 11:34 PM
    Was Mortgage Free until 52!!! 8th Jun 15 at 11:34 PM
    I was a lurker, but inspired by this thread to start my own diary and although my figures are positively small fry to some - its still my mortgage.

A bit about me, took the plunge and bought a house age 50 plus by myself, everyone asked "Are you mad?" But thought - I can do this.

Bought at auction, so got a bit of a bargain (the only way I could afford a mortgage) and had what I would call (in my terms) a nice deposit. Took out an 80% mortgage, and lenders would only give me an 18 year term, 2 years fixed at 4.5%, so in my eyes I have already knocked 7 years off my mortgage - how's that for positive thinking?

I'm now 3 years down the line and have already made the classic mistake, did not renew my fixed term after the 2 years (and still haven't) as it reverted to 3.99% which was lower than I was paying and on making my first large overpayment, they reduced my monthly payments Little did I know what I know now. So its time to get my mortgage in order.

I have about a years mortgage savings - and about 3 years mortgage payments out on loan at the moment.

I pay a minimal 45.00 into an isa every month, but was thinking of adding this to my monthly mortgage payments when I remortgage thus reducing the years even further. What do you think?

I work full time and overtime is available for the moment although I never accept, as I go in early and stay late - could class that as overtime,

As you can tell, I'm a bit obsessed with overpayments, but well - you can see my point - at my age, want to be "mortgage free" asap.

My Motivation Madness;
    I have a simple method to keep me motivated, only thing is to explain I make it sound complicated and only works if you have a sub account as well, but you could adjust to suit yourself.
    • "Always have 0.00 at the end of your mortgage"
    • This way the least/most you will pay is 9p or 9.99
    • On flush days you could go for 00.00 at the end or even 000.00
    I know, I know, I need to get out more Good Luck whatever you decide.
    Last edited by A Frayed Knot; 20-02-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Page 62
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 20th Jun 17, 12:37 AM
    • 5,668 Posts
    • 29,195 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Excellent progress re. mortgage / saving money.

We are doing well with lunches as we've a grocery spending challenge for the month. Mrs. K. is on board so we make lunch for all three of us and have the same which is very cost effective.
    Money saved 2017: £3330. Overpayments 2017: £500.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 21st Jun 17, 9:26 PM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 8,981 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    My mind and ocd is telling me it's time to "money shuffle" but date is telling me different. It's a five week month, so need to be patient

Received my e-0n bonus to the tune of £10 so shuffling over the equivalent to o/p pot
    but leaving survey £3 till next week, that's the plan anyway

Work was mentally exhausting today, so having an early night in the hope it will refresh me for the next 2 working days, then it's the weekend.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and one day it will all be 0's
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/£4000, 2015/£6294.69,2016/£3186.80
    2017 £2422.71 + Phantom o/ps 2017 -£1274.71 so far
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,998Posts Today

6,175Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Regardless of party, a little bit (the naughty bit) of me wonders aren't we always better off if they can't get thru all their plans! #bbcqt

• RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Follow Martin