PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast – 7 days no spending (at all)

Options

Comments

• camNolliesMUMMY
    Options
    I hope this doesn't mean I've failed ?
    But I had to go to mr s to grab ds2 some nappies, I decided I'd give the value/basic brand a go at £1.41 for 20. They look and feel like his regular ones but just no design on them....but who cares I think if they are any good il carry on buying them as they will save us loads of money!
    I also grabbed some milk as we have ran out and basic weetabix for baby too which he finished this morning.
    Spending a total of £5.09 but on things we do actually need to last till Saturday.
    It has made me think more about my £££'s and I'm glad I joined this challenge.
    Hopefully this is sort of a nsd 2???
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No one fails on here, we all support each other in our attempts to keep as much cash in our pockets, and not in the supermarkets tills. Just by down-branding you are saving a considerable amount of cash.I think if you sat and worked out how much you used to spend, you would be pleasantly suprised. A couple of years ago I used to spend around 50-60 pounds per week and for the life of me I can't see what it went on, apart from when wandering aimlessly around in the big supermarket I would throw odds and ends in the trolley without really thinking do I need it or has it just caught my eye for some reason.
    This is how the big SM make they money, its all carefully planned out to attract the customers.Think how often you perhaps want some fresh cheese or meat from the deli counter The counter is no where near the exits are they, they are always at the back of the store so you have to walk past all the tempting bits on offer before you get to what you want.Like for example sugar is always tucked away somehwhere, probably where you have to hunt for it and whilst hunting you will see things that go with sugar cakes and goodies to make you think you want to buy.Its mental 'triggers' that the big four rely on and are extremely carefully worked out for their benefit.
    So basically by only buying what we need as opposed to what we THINK we need we are playing the shops at their own game.When I go to the shops I always have a list and just enough cash to cover what I need as if I took more I would spend more.It really works but it takes a bit of practice and we all have mad moments at times but its recognising those 'triggers when shopping that helps The smell of baking bread will always make ytou think 'Mmm that smells good' and make you feel hungry so I always have eaten before I shop and if I can suck a peppermint whilst shopping as the taste will take away the rumbles in your tum :) I used to live quite near to a coffee importers in Bromley years ago and the smell of coffee used to permeate the high street and the shop was always full of customers.The smell attracted them.Have you ever noticed if you walk past a shop like 'Lush' who sell gorgeous smelling soaps how the doors are nearly always open.Again small attracts custom.
    I have now cut down my shopping by at least half to what I used to do and am none the worse for it in fact I am so much better off finacially.So remember the golden rules
    do I need it? can I do without it? and always eat before you shop,Never go out with more in your purse than you want to spend and always always take a list of what you want .Shop less and save more.
  • firesidemaid
    firesidemaid Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I am back on the wagon as such - i was never exactly off it but anyway.......:rotfl:

Have enjoyed keeping up with all the motivation and news meanwhile.

Woke up today and decide i MUST get into gear, so plan for today is:

Celery Soup (Allotment crop)
    Pumpkin Pie (ditto)
    Quiche Lorraine for freezer (LO Bacon, Eggs to use up)
    Banana Cake (Bananas to use up)
    Spag Bol / Chilli etc (ancient celery + carrots in fridge to use up)

Will report back later........
  • Kiwisaver_2
    Kiwisaver_2 Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    Options
    The week has flown by, I used up the last of a few sprouty potatoes for sausage and mash for dinner afterall and my lunch of oatcakes and tuna mayo was way more lovely than it seemed when I made it up the night before. :D

I did a complete overhaul of the freezer tonight and written a list all that was there, as I decided late last night that I am going to take this to another level for the 'Just say NOvember' Challenge. Fiscal Fasting x 4 more weeks :eek:

I found a couple of random Ciabatta rolls so they've been given a second chance at life and transformed with some cheese and the last possible bits off the end of a cucumber into a fine looking lunch for tomorrow.

It's been a good week and there are now some pockets of space in my tidy little freezer, I will be doing my weekly shop tomorrow, which will be about half of what I normally spend. I will only be getting some meat or a chook for Sunday dinner, milk, bread, and some fruit and veg to see me through next week.
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone. Back on board as November seems to be costing an awful lot already. Have done a big shop and an Approved Foods order to set us up for the month as I had vouchers and coupons to use up but it has taken a huge chunk out of the budget so I hope I've done the right thing!

The pantry and the freezer are absolutely fit to burst and I have loads of baking ingredients so I have no excuse not to stick to this.

Will be taking JackieO's advice and shopping from the cupboards for as long as I can possibly manage.:T
    Good luck everyone.
    PP XX
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    Have decided to try another FF, just for a week. Have lots of stuff in the cupboards etc, so should be fine.

Social life is what sometimes throws things, but the diary's quite empty for the next week or so, so should be OK. Entertainment will be walks, bus rides using my granny pass, and a visit to the art gallery. At home I will be knitting, quilting and reading, and talking to family and friends on the phone using the free tariff (up to an hour before the charge kicks in). Can't be bad!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

This is my first time posting on this thread but I have been reading it from the beginning.

Having looked at my budget this week I can see that I need to be more focussed with keeping money in my purse and only spending it on budgetted items (note to self: not I-tunes!)

Winchelsea, your entertainment plans for next week sound lovely. I enjoy listening to Classic FM in the autumn/winter evenings and I will start knitting myself a cardigan from the stash of wool that I bought many years ago.

pinkypig, like you, my freezers/pantry/cupboards are crowded with food. I also will be planning on using items from what I already have in before spending what is left from this month's grocery budget.

Good Luck everyone.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I will sort out my cupboards and freezer tomorrow, shop accordingly and then FF until I go on holiday Mon 12/11. The holiday is paid for and spends allocated, so I should be OKish I think, I will know better after my checks tomorrow. I really need to keep doing this as my OD and CC havent gone down this month:( and I need to be on track with Christmas approaching!!!!:eek:

Jxx
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - 
  • dawn_rose
    dawn_rose Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    id like to join in this too i do have a few outgoings within this week tho that are unavoidable. my trip to see a friend which involves a train fare as 20 miles away and price of lunch out. may go for a mooch round shops but not spending on unecesary junk. secondly i need to pay the decorator. Having work done in front room so its all outgoings at moment but really needs doing as have never been able afford have this room done and its dire. I still had old occupants curtains up and been here 8 and half years. My bedroom also not done has old curtains too from previous owner. my bedroom will be a good while off yet tho so need get saving up.
    Jan 2015 GC £267/£260
    Feb 2015 GC /£260
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well I've managed day 1:j:j
    Hardly surprising really as the weather here is truly awful and I cannot think of anything worse than having to venture out. I have had a really useful day as i got my meal plans sorted and went through the cupboards and freezer.
    Also, because it was so wet and miserable I had a lovely baking/coooking day which I love anyway but i particularly enjoy it when it is wet and cold outside.
    I made some veg soup out of a YS bag of casserole veg which was really tasty. We had it with HM bread rolls fresh from the oven :j

Also made some chocolate muffins and shortbread biscuits. Tea was HM Thai red curry with sticky rice and some naan bread from the freezer (have a vast stock of them after a recent AP order!)

Planning on a day pottering at home so it should be another NSD fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone. I hope you all have a super frugal week!

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure