PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Soapnuts

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I alternate soapnuts with Clearspring 'eco' washing liquid, but if the laundry is really nasty dirty (e.g my teenagers' smoke-smelly clothes and foot-smelling socks) I use soapnuts AND a bit of detergent - it seems to work!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    their site does say the following for whiteness
    Soapnuts don’t contain any brighteners or whiteners so over a long period of time your whites might need a boost, perhaps try Ecover bleach

Not sure on the towel front, but hard towels are more effective at drying then soft conditioned towels, when I stopped using conditioner in my washes they built up stiffness, now they are hard when dry, but when I use them they are much softer, not sure if that makes sense. But hope so!!
  • Wonder_Girl
    Wonder_Girl Posts: 999 Forumite
    Options
    What are soap nuts?

Sorry i'm new, but i wish to save millions of pounds :D
    All comments and advice given is my own opinion and does not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

DFW Nerd #132
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Wonder_girl check out https://www.inasoapnutshell.com - there is a description of exactly what they are and what they do :) welcome to OS btw ;)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Wonder_Girl
    Wonder_Girl Posts: 999 Forumite
    Options
    And these things really work?

*runs off to get some*

Thank you for having me here, everybody is lovely :D
    All comments and advice given is my own opinion and does not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

DFW Nerd #132
  • cookiesncream
    Options
    Are they reusable or do you change them for each wash?
    1 John 4: 7 & 8
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you use 6-8 half shells in a tied sock or in the drawstring bag that is sent to you. Each sockful/bagfull lasts about 4 washes.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the bag which is a 150 wash bag and I've had mine for about 2 months now. They are very good on the economy front. I have noticed over the last 2-3 weeks that my clothes have a slightly 'musty' smell to them if I don't add some conditioner.

i decided to do all my washing today with normal detergent in case it was a build up of something from the nuts) and then will go back to the soap nuts until they have run out.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • samcat_2
    samcat_2 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    jamjar, wrote:
    my husbands white sports socks are not looking so bright, as are the armpits of his shirts, and this has never happened before.

Pour a little stardrops on them. I tried it on my whiteshirts and white school polo shirts with bad stains and it really worked!:j (There's a huge stardrops thread in OS)
  • jamjar,
    jamjar, Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice given. I tried adding washing soda and some white vinegar as a rinse. OH is still complaining that the towels are like sandpaper, but then he moans if I add conditioner and he says the towels don't dry then. I will def try the Stardrops on the socks and shirts.
  • snowball2
    snowball2 Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Options
    Its pointless using fabric conditioner on towels as it stops them being absorbant!
    I was told by a rep never use FC on towels and never have since.

I can't say i have noticed them being rough but I don't use alternative washing products at the moment.

If you find them too rough after line or airer drying finish off in tumble dryer for softer towels (this may defeat the point though!)

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport